Mint Press News

4.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mint Press News

Journalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Mint Press News in June 2014.

I applied to work at Mint Press in February or March of 2014, but wasn't contacted about my submission until mid-summer.
    I was informed via email that a Mint Press staff member would like to interview me but they didn't indicate what position I was interviewing for (so I assumed it was a general assignment journalist).
    The interview was with a man who had a terrible phone connection (I didn't even catch his name). It was incredibly difficult to hear him, which made the interview a bit challenging.
    During the 30 minute interview, the interviewer didn't ask me ANY questions about my professional background or expertise in East African issues. Rather, he quizzed me about my current news knowledge (which is fine) and then moved onto my personal perspectives and opinions about current events, particularly between Ukraine and Russia. At one point, he asked, "who do you think shot down the Malaysian plane in the Ukraine?" I replied that I had my suspicions, but as a journalist I only report the facts, not simply rumors Unfortunately, my answer didn't satisfy him and he continued to press me on my opinion, which I never provided.
    Lastly, he said that MintPress would like to interview me in-person within the next week or so, but "that I needed to be better prepared." I wasn't sure what that even meant.
    The interviewer then told me a Mint Press staffer would contact me in the next few days to set up the in-person interview but I never did receive that call.
    Four months later, I did receive an email stating that Mint Press hired a different candidate.
    The whole process was confusing and very nontransparent. I'm still trying to figure out what happened in those 30 minutes (or who shot down the Malaysian plane, though I have my suspicions.)

Interview Questions
    • "What do you think about Saudi Arabia?"   View Answer

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mint Press News in May 2012.

I was contacted by Mint Press HR after submitting my resume and portfolio for an interview. The questions ranged from my professional background to skill-set to experience etc. I also found it quite refreshing that the company was interested in my level of political awareness. They pushed me on my knowledge of current events, which is obviously quite important in the field of journalism. The office was vibrant with what seemed were young staffers, also quite an informal vibe. I left the interview feeling challenged, yet optimistic. Overall, quite a pleasant experience. I=

Interview Questions
    • What do you perceive to be the biggest challenge in terms of U.S. Foreign policy in the upcoming year?   Answer Question
    • What story have you written that you were most proud of and why?   Answer Question
    • Hypothetical: "here is a story (made up scenario), you have 48 hours to write an in-depth piece, what steps would you take and why?"   Answer Question

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mint Press News in February 2012.

I sent MintPress a cover letter, resume and some writing samples and heard back about a week later and was offered an in-person interview. When I arrived, the Executive Director looked a bit puzzled and explained she thought our interview was to take place the following day. However, she checked her e-mail and realized her mistake and we began the interview.
    It was a pretty informal, but challenging interview. There were very few questions about my background or skills. Though I am quite liberal, I felt a bit like I was being put through a political litmus test to ensure I wasn't a Republican. The focus of the interview was on my knowledge of the Middle East. MintPress's journalistic ethos is that it is necessary to understand the Middle East to comprehend events taking place in the rest of the world. We also discussed the Republican candidates, in particular, Newt Gingrich's anti-Palestinian stance and why younger voters are drawn to Ron Paul.
    I did not receive a tour of the office so couldn't tell you much about the people there or their culture.
    The interview lasted about an hour and the Executive Director informed me I would be contacted shortly regarding the position.
    However, I never received an email or phone call notifying me I didn't receive the job even though I called and emailed the Executive Director. After the interview, I felt turned off by MintPress and wasn't expecting a job offer. But a phone call at least telling me I'd been rejected would have been nice! I suppose it says a lot about the company they can't even get back to you with an answer...

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the U.S's relationship with Saudi Arabia?   Answer Question
    • What are the three most important domestic issues facing America?   Answer Question