Mint Press News

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Writer Interview

Staff Writer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mint Press News in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Mint Press HR after submitting my resume and portfolio for an interview. The questions ranged from my professional background to skill-set to experience etc. I also found it quite refreshing that the company was interested in my level of political awareness. They pushed me on my knowledge of current events, which is obviously quite important in the field of journalism. The office was vibrant with what seemed were young staffers, also quite an informal vibe. I left the interview feeling challenged, yet optimistic. Overall, quite a pleasant experience. I=

Interview Questions

• What do you perceive to be the biggest challenge in terms of U.S. Foreign policy in the upcoming year?   Answer Question
  • What story have you written that you were most proud of and why?   Answer Question
  • Hypothetical: "here is a story (made up scenario), you have 48 hours to write an in-depth piece, what steps would you take and why?"   Answer Question

Staff Writer Interview

Staff Writer
Plymouth, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mint Press News in February 2012.

Interview Details – I sent MintPress a cover letter, resume and some writing samples and heard back about a week later and was offered an in-person interview. When I arrived, the Executive Director looked a bit puzzled and explained she thought our interview was to take place the following day. However, she checked her e-mail and realized her mistake and we began the interview.
It was a pretty informal, but challenging interview. There were very few questions about my background or skills. Though I am quite liberal, I felt a bit like I was being put through a political litmus test to ensure I wasn't a Republican. The focus of the interview was on my knowledge of the Middle East. MintPress's journalistic ethos is that it is necessary to understand the Middle East to comprehend events taking place in the rest of the world. We also discussed the Republican candidates, in particular, Newt Gingrich's anti-Palestinian stance and why younger voters are drawn to Ron Paul.
I did not receive a tour of the office so couldn't tell you much about the people there or their culture.
The interview lasted about an hour and the Executive Director informed me I would be contacted shortly regarding the position.
However, I never received an email or phone call notifying me I didn't receive the job even though I called and emailed the Executive Director. After the interview, I felt turned off by MintPress and wasn't expecting a job offer. But a phone call at least telling me I'd been rejected would have been nice! I suppose it says a lot about the company they can't even get back to you with an answer...

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the U.S's relationship with Saudi Arabia?   Answer Question
  • What are the three most important domestic issues facing America?   Answer Question

Worked for Mint Press News? Contribute to the Community!