Minted Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.8

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted online and through a friend. Got a call quickly for an on-site interview with the hiring manager. Great communication with hiring team. Meaty interview, if only we covered so many topics. Felt like the hiring manager was very engaged. Was thus surprised to get a terse "thanks but no thanks" note a few days later. So it goes.

Interview Questions

• There were so many - and the interviewer took COPIOUS notes. Many were more "blue sky" type questions, so perhaps he was trying to see how I think. That said, I wasn't provided much context, so who knows is the answers were "good". Definitely an interesting interview with lots of open-ended questions. More traditional interviews would not go into tis detail right away. I took it as a good sign. Maybe it was just a free consulting session. ;-)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application and promptly received a reply from an internal recruiter. We set up a phone screen for the same week. She was very nice and informative about the company and position. Moved me ahead quickly to the technical screen which consisted of several oral questions and a couple of simple programming questions. The coding portion was done remotely via an online code-sharing tool. I found the questions and process to be easy. However, to my surprise, they did not move me forward. As I felt I did very well on the interview, this was really unexpected. I answered every question in detail and completed both coding exercises without much trouble. The interviewer did not correct my code, ask me to expand on any aspect and even seemed to indicate I solved the problems as he would have. So naturally was taken aback when I was not moved ahead. Furthermore, they did not get back to me the entire week after my interview and I had to ask them for an update late Friday. I received a boilerplate answer back that didn't make logical sense. As someone who has had a lot of experience hiring, you should never leave a candidate hanging like that if they are a no.

Interview Questions

• Describe, in detail, as much as you can about an HTTP request.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Got in touch with this company via a third party recruiting firm. Had two technical phone screen interviews, which I thought I performed decent enough. The first interviewer was nice. He spent good amount of time explaining his work, about the company and then knowing about my work and career goals. Was able to explain coding questions well and elaborate when needed. The second phone interviewer was alright. Didn't ask much and started with coding question directly. Also, there was poor network connection on her end. No response about my answer for the coding question or no hints given whatsoever. Even then, I thought I displayed my idea and code decently. Still got a reject the next day without any feedback or reason.

Interview Questions

• 1. Python decorator to throttle some function which should only print a statement, if called after 100ms 2. Some question which was a variation of determine whether a graph has a closed loop 3. Given an array with value of stocks at different days, determine which day to buy and which day to sell to get max profit.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I was referred by an exisiting employee to the hiring manager, who passed me along to the in-house recruiter. We completed a phone screen and I am waiting to hear whether I will have an additional interview with the hiring manager. My understanding is that after a round of interviews with the team, almost all new hires are interviewed by one of the two co-founders. The recruiter seemed knowledgeable and passionate about the business.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think the target customer is for Minted?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Minted.

Interview

Initial Phone Screen followed by Technical Skype Screen followed by Onsite Interview. The initial tech screen consisted of a coding/whiteboarding challenge. Mine was done over skype, and a shared-screen text editor. Consisted of a nice algorithm that I talked through. I thought I did ok, so I made it to the on site portion. For the onsite portion - I met with 4 different people - ranging from the CTO(!) to various software engineers. Each one was 45 minutes long and consisted of a whiteboarding challenge. Very exhaustive process but quite rewarding. Their physical HQ is real nice. The people and culture seemed legit. I did not get the job, but it seems like a well run company.

Interview Questions

• Fizzbuzz but with fibonacci numbers!   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Minted.

Interview

The interview process is a chaos. Passed the phone interview, and got a phone call from the HR to schedule the on site the same day. Then got a message from another HR says the previous call was a mistake, they usually have two round phone screen. Fine, I took that and passed the second and went on site. All they asked onsite are pretty much standard algorithm questions and everything seems good. Two days later got a phone call from their HR again and says the interview result is good and asked about my salary expectation, when to start getting the reference etc. Several days later got an email says no hire. I sent a reply back and asked is there specific reason that I didn't do well or something, because I was wondering probably I didn't behave well or something and I want to improve in my future job searching. I got a very rude answer with one liner: "background doesn't match". Come on, if background does not match please pass me at the very beginning, and in fact I came from the same world and if you insist there's difference then there's one. Minted is solving the problem in a much smaller scale. Stay away from this chaos.

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Minted.

Interview

I reached out to Minted and was connected with the hiring manager almost immediately (the same day of applying). Had a great conversation and was asked to do a technical phone screen. The technical phone screen was 45 minutes long. 20 minutes was intro / discussion about my background. 25 minutes was for a problem in which the interviewer watched while I coded (I believe we used Stypi). The interview question was given 3 ordered arrays, find the smallest possible range across all 3 arrays. We worked through the problem and completed it. The interviewer was polite and excited which made working together a lot of fun. I was then asked to come on-site for a 4(ish) hour interview in 3 days at 9:00 AM. I never received a confirmation on how to get into the building, who I would be meeting with, etc. The day before my interview I reached out to the hiring manager through email to see what was going on. Nothing. I called the hiring manager. Voicemail. I left a message and 30 minutes later I got a call saying that if I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail that I should not show up and the interview would have to be done a different day. After an hour of scrambling the hiring manager sorted the problem out and my interview was pushed back to 1:00 PM. Not a great start. The on-site consisted of four 45 minute interviews (although the interview with the VP of engineering ran about 1 hour). All four interviews were technical / white-boarding. The questions consisted of things like removing duplicate items from an array, palindromes, bubble sort and a few other similar questions. I had great conversations with each interviewer. We laughed, I solved all the problems, we had nice discussions about ways to optimize / trade-offs that could be made under different scenarios. The interview ended with me meeting with the hiring manager who told me they were aggressively hiring for multiple teams. I left feeling absolutely great about the process. The next day, I received a generic e-mail saying "we reviewed your background and qualifications but we don't have a position open at this time". ...? I sent an extremely polite e-mail thanking Minted for their time and bringing me on-site as well as asking what I could improve on to be a stronger candidate in the future. ....crickets. Not super thrilled with the way the process was handled. The experience was much more disorganized than any of my other interview experiences have been.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of strings, return an array of strings that are palindromes.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, followed by first round in person interviews with hiring manager and key partners. Second and final round in person interviews with members of leadership team and potential team members. Professional references were checked prior to offer being extended.

Interview Questions

• typical behavior based questions, SWOT analysis of minted's business   Answer Question

Seasonal Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Minted (Oakland, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online through Indeed and received an initial email from a recruiter via Jobvite. After one phone interview, I was offered an in-person interview at the office in Oakland. I arrived about 15 minutes early. There were Halloween decorations up in the office, which is a few floors up the I Magnin Building. I was wearing a suit, but the other people there (waiting for interviews?) were dressed super casually—jeans, leopard-print pants. The interviewer was professional but a little curt.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe this company to your family or friends?   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Step 1: Phone screen with HR (15 minutes) Very nice conversation. She represented her company well. Mostly checking I was inline salary-wise. Step 2: Phone Interview with VP (50 minutes) Convo focused entirely around what ideas I have to grow Minted. Virtually nothing about my resume, experience or expertise. Seemed like a good guy to work for. Toward the end he asked me to do a take home project (2-3 hours). He said it weeds out applicants who aren't serious and gives them, "something to dig into" during in-person interviews. Step 3: Take Home Project (3+ hours) Assignment came the next day in email. It was actually two projects and seemed like potentially far more than three hours worth of work. I wrote the VP and said I wanted to really focus and would just do the second project if that was OK. No reply. Spent more than three hours on the second project. Submitted a Powerpoint a couple days later. Step 4: Onsite Interviews (2-1/2 hours) HR arranged for me to come in and interview. Met with two fabulous Marketing Directors. Really enjoyed talking with them. No tricky questions and no mention of the take-home project. I had a ton of new ideas come to me after submitting the take-home project. Thought we'd be digging into these during the onsite but they kept the focus on my experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your top 5 customer acquisition ideas to grow Minted? Estimate the revenue and ROI on each and prioritize.   Answer Question