Minted Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application and promptly received a reply from an internal recruiter. We set up a phone screen for the same week. She was very nice and informative about the company and position. Moved me ahead quickly to the technical screen which consisted of several oral questions and a couple of simple programming questions. The coding portion was done remotely via an online code-sharing tool. I found the questions and process to be easy.

However, to my surprise, they did not move me forward. As I felt I did very well on the interview, this was really unexpected. I answered every question in detail and completed both coding exercises without much trouble. The interviewer did not correct my code, ask me to expand on any aspect and even seemed to indicate I solved the problems as he would have. So naturally was taken aback when I was not moved ahead.

Furthermore, they did not get back to me the entire week after my interview and I had to ask them for an update late Friday. I received a boilerplate answer back that didn't make logical sense. As someone who has had a lot of experience hiring, you should never leave a candidate hanging like that if they are a no.

Interview Questions

• Describe, in detail, as much as you can about an HTTP request.   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted online and through a friend. Got a call quickly for an on-site interview with the hiring manager. Great communication with hiring team. Meaty interview, if only we covered so many topics. Felt like the hiring manager was very engaged. Was thus surprised to get a terse "thanks but no thanks" note a few days later. So it goes.

Interview Questions

• There were so many - and the interviewer took COPIOUS notes. Many were more "blue sky" type questions, so perhaps he was trying to see how I think. That said, I wasn't provided much context, so who knows is the answers were "good". Definitely an interesting interview with lots of open-ended questions. More traditional interviews would not go into tis detail right away. I took it as a good sign. Maybe it was just a free consulting session. ;-)   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I was referred by an exisiting employee to the hiring manager, who passed me along to the in-house recruiter. We completed a phone screen and I am waiting to hear whether I will have an additional interview with the hiring manager. My understanding is that after a round of interviews with the team, almost all new hires are interviewed by one of the two co-founders.

The recruiter seemed knowledgeable and passionate about the business.

Interview Questions

• Who do you think the target customer is for Minted?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, followed by first round in person interviews with hiring manager and key partners. Second and final round in person interviews with members of leadership team and potential team members. Professional references were checked prior to offer being extended.

Interview Questions

• typical behavior based questions, SWOT analysis of minted's business   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Step 1: Phone screen with HR (15 minutes)
    Very nice conversation. She represented her company well. Mostly checking I was inline salary-wise.

Step 2: Phone Interview with VP (50 minutes)
    Convo focused entirely around what ideas I have to grow Minted. Virtually nothing about my resume, experience or expertise. Seemed like a good guy to work for. Toward the end he asked me to do a take home project (2-3 hours). He said it weeds out applicants who aren't serious and gives them, "something to dig into" during in-person interviews.

Step 3: Take Home Project (3+ hours)
    Assignment came the next day in email. It was actually two projects and seemed like potentially far more than three hours worth of work. I wrote the VP and said I wanted to really focus and would just do the second project if that was OK. No reply. Spent more than three hours on the second project. Submitted a Powerpoint a couple days later.

Step 4: Onsite Interviews (2-1/2 hours)
    HR arranged for me to come in and interview. Met with two fabulous Marketing Directors. Really enjoyed talking with them. No tricky questions and no mention of the take-home project. I had a ton of new ideas come to me after submitting the take-home project. Thought we'd be digging into these during the onsite but they kept the focus on my experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your top 5 customer acquisition ideas to grow Minted? Estimate the revenue and ROI on each and prioritize.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Got referred by an employee. Had a phone screen and technical interview, then an on-site with 5 of their software engineers. They asked about two questions each, ranging from the usual coding questions to brain teasers to language trivia. All in all very pleasant. Their space is very nice.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I was reached out by their in house recruiter, told that there were two slightly different roles that I may try out for. I had a phone interview soon after, then I've never heard back again. There was not even a rejection email. I understand that they chose not to proceed forward with me, but complete silence was unexpected, unprofessional and rude.

Interview Questions

• Write a JavaScript function to check if a word is a Palindrome.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

My main beef during Minted's interview process was around communication with their recruiter Yuichi. To inform me that Minted chose another candidate, he emailed me 2 sentences essentially saying they chose someone else and good luck. I have no issue with that email.

What would keep me from working at Minted in the future, or working with this particular recruiter, is that I wrote him back asking for super brief feedback from someone at Minted. Am I wrong to ask for this after spending over 5 hours and an afternoon off from work to let them interview me as a potential solution to their needs? I was very curious for feedback as one interviewer told me in the interview he/she'd give me the job right then if it were up to him/her. After a week I sent another email requesting basic feedback. No response. Oh well.

The actual interviews at Minted were run well enough. Interviewers asked intelligent questions, allowing me to demonstrate my strengths and weaknesses through example. Interview questions heavily targeted the position in question. Fit questions only filled the first 5 minute small talk. Also, they did a nice job of filling in holes in the position description.

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Nice HR staff, but don't expect long friendships. Seemed like it was a high turnover job when I came in for the interview, and I was looking at 30+ trainee hires prior to my hire. Great job for getting quick at design, production auditing, etc. Design associates need to understand typography at its most basic (don't worry if you don't know what "humanist fonts" are). You are mostly making high end luxury goods for people that can afford fancy envelopes.

Interview Questions

• . No real curve balls in the interview. Bring a nice portfolio and you will probably get hired during season.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, set rate, take it or leave it.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Minted (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I was connected via a recruiting agency and spoke with one of their developers over skype.

Interview Questions

• Write CSS to position 3 boxes of different colors on a screen.   Answer Question