Minted Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 30, 2014

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Minted.

Got referred by an employee. Had a phone screen and technical interview, then an on-site with 5 of their software engineers. They asked about two questions each, ranging from the usual coding questions to brain teasers to language trivia. All in all very pleasant. Their space is very nice.

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Minted in May 2013.

I was reached out by their in house recruiter, told that there were two slightly different roles that I may try out for. I had a phone interview soon after, then I've never heard back again. There was not even a rejection email. I understand that they chose not to proceed forward with me, but complete silence was unexpected, unprofessional and rude.

Interview Questions
    • Write a JavaScript function to check if a word is a Palindrome.   Answer Question

Design Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Minted in October 2012.

I was hired during the holiday rush period.

I have showed up for an open house interview posted on Craigslist. After waiting forever, all dressed up I had a brief interview with a HR person who basically had me go over my resume, portfolio sample and skills that I know/have/
    The pay was pretty low - 15 bucks per hour but I have had nothing else lined up so I took it.

I have been more or less hired on the spot but I have received an official e-mail explaining pretty much all I already went over in person with a staff member. E-mail included an attached form to fill and show up with when scheduled for a very brief "training" crash course.

and I was up and working soon after.

What was not clearly explained is the scheduling that was purely based upon volume and number of orders - if there weren't many you would simply be getting no shifts - you could get anything form full 5 days + OT during peak and then after the orders would drop no shifts at all.
    Schedule would be posted very late in the week - usually Friday for next week starting Monday, so you could not really plan much in advance, and there were pretty much bunch of on-call shifts that would not confirmed or cancelled until the very late night before the actual scheduled day.
    That part should have been much more transparent and clear.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phrase - it was simply put we pay 15 er our and at thins time we an not offer more .....

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Minted in April 2013.

I was connected via a recruiting agency and spoke with one of their developers over skype.

Interview Questions
    • Write CSS to position 3 boxes of different colors on a screen.   Answer Question

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Minted.

My main beef during Minted's interview process was around communication with their recruiter Yuichi. To inform me that Minted chose another candidate, he emailed me 2 sentences essentially saying they chose someone else and good luck. I have no issue with that email.

What would keep me from working at Minted in the future, or working with this particular recruiter, is that I wrote him back asking for super brief feedback from someone at Minted. Am I wrong to ask for this after spending over 5 hours and an afternoon off from work to let them interview me as a potential solution to their needs? I was very curious for feedback as one interviewer told me in the interview he/she'd give me the job right then if it were up to him/her. After a week I sent another email requesting basic feedback. No response. Oh well.

The actual interviews at Minted were run well enough. Interviewers asked intelligent questions, allowing me to demonstrate my strengths and weaknesses through example. Interview questions heavily targeted the position in question. Fit questions only filled the first 5 minute small talk. Also, they did a nice job of filling in holes in the position description.

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Minted.

Nice HR staff, but don't expect long friendships. Seemed like it was a high turnover job when I came in for the interview, and I was looking at 30+ trainee hires prior to my hire. Great job for getting quick at design, production auditing, etc. Design associates need to understand typography at its most basic (don't worry if you don't know what "humanist fonts" are). You are mostly making high end luxury goods for people that can afford fancy envelopes.

Interview Questions
    • . No real curve balls in the interview. Bring a nice portfolio and you will probably get hired during season.   Answer Question
    None, set rate, take it or leave it.

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Minted in April 2009.

performed test to build static page. Worked on-site for a day

Community Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Minted.

Applied online, heard back from the recruiter in roughly 2 weeks' time. He was a nice guy but tried to haggle me down from the salary in my current contract as soon as he heard what I'm making.

From there things moved pretty fast - I had a phone screening with him and was sent a 3-part assignment to complete.

The assignment: 1) Why do you want to work for Minted 2) Tell us which social media channels you use/how you use them and rank them by how much you use them 3) Write a sample blog post.

After submitting this an onsite interview was arranged. First I met with 2 would-be coworkers who were very nice but revealed that the despite the event planning and social media mentioned in the job listing, the position was basically a dressed up customer service gig.

In spite of this I met afterwards with a marketing exec. This is where things got a little hairy. He seemed much more interested in my education and GPA than my previous work experience. He asked me many upper-level marketing queries, which I did not mind but any time an answer exceeded 3 sentences or so he would put a hand up to silence me. As though my responses were pestering him.

What I do appreciate is that I heard back a week later. As I understand that is not guaranteed in today's job market, I'll give the Minted folks props for this.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose the college you went to? What was your GPA? What was your major? Why did you choose your major?   Answer Question
    • What kind of companies should we partner up with?   Answer Question
    • If we were to expand past design, how would you propose we do market/outreach to promote it?   Answer Question
    • How do you organize your e-mail inbox?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you broke a large problem down into smaller problems to make a task easier to complete.   Answer Question

Worked for Minted? Contribute to the Community!