Mintel Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Mintel.

Second interview was canceled without any prior notification. I was later told I would not be interviewed because some seemingly bogus hiring policy. I asked for an explanation, which the interviewer never responded. Super unprofessional. Very glad this process did not move further.

Junior Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

Great first impressions; first and second round interviews take place over the phone with a hiring manager and department manager - respectively. The first phone interview was fairly basic - questions to gauge your skills and a little bit on past experiences. They basically want to know if your soft skills will transfer over to an analyst position. The second phone interview was pretty much more of the same with a little more emphasis on past experience and knowledge of the category/industry. Third round interview is in-person with HR, team lead/manager/supervisor (2) and another junior analyst. There is a timed writing test at this stage. Nothing too tricky, but brush up on your analytical and storytelling skills. The company is very good about getting back to you about follow-up interviews (if you're a person of interest).

Interview Questions
    • None. All questions were pretty standard/straightforward. Understand your strengths, weaknesses and WHY you're interested in the position.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

The interview process was very organized and straight forward. Applied online and received a phone call the next day to set up an initial phone screen. My phone screen was with the Talent Acquisition Director, who was very informative. I was actually really impressed with how well spoken and knowledgeable she was. At the end of the call, we scheduled an in-person interview. When I arrived, she gave me an office tour and then we spoke for about an hour to get deeper into my background and what she was looking for. She remained very professional and made me feel comfortable. I then met with another person, who I will not reference, and my perspective started to change. He was somewhat negative (complained about changes in the company), seemed bored, and questioned the questions I was asking (wouldn't answer directly and suggested a different question). I also didn't know the company had their holiday party the night before so he told me everyone was "out of it", himself included. Wish I would have known this and I would have come in a different day because I felt like my interview was not taken seriously. I was told that I should hear back the next day regarding whether or not I would be moving forward; I followed up when I didn't hear back in a week. I finally heard back days later that they went with someone who was a "better fit", which coming from HR, I completely understand.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was straight forward, no questions that were out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mintel in October 2014.

I had an initial phone screener with an internal recruiter, and then a phone interview with my manager-to-be. Then, I had to write a report based on 20+ pages of data from Mintel, I also included data and insights from other sources. I received good feedback and was invited to an in-person interview with a Research Manager and a fellow (Senior) Research Analyst. I felt I did very well, and was communicated that the final step was to make a presentation.

After a few days I haven't received the data for the presentation, so I reached out to the HR contact asking for a follow-up on my interview, and she NEVER replied. I deserved at least a simple email stating they were moving with other applicants. This is very rude!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. In-person interview focused on explaining the work process, which sounded rigid.   Answer Question

Account Executive - Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mintel in September 2014.

Had a phone interview and an in person interview. the companies offices are cool and overlook the river. seemed easy however i did not receive the position. every one seemed relatively young, and the recruiter was very nice. it was a couple of days between the interviews and it seemed to be going well. i guess not.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mintel in September 2014.

Applied via company website after networking with a current employee; had a phone interview with the HR manager then submitted writing samples; felt like it was a promising opportunity but the department manager was looking for a more traditionally qualified candidate.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

Mintel seems to have a well-established hiring system: I had an initial phone interview with HR, followed by an online test. Once completed, I had another interview with a Software division supervisor (this was mostly to confirm my interest, discuss my answers to the test, and answer my questions). After this they scheduled a real, in-person interview. The interview was pretty rigorous, with extended tech questions and roleplaying situations. The interviewers were very friendly; though the questions were non-trivial, this was the least intimidating interview I've ever had. They were very helpful with my questions.

Interview Questions
    • The roleplay situation required quick thought and analysis of the situation provided, and an ability to construct a detailed solution and convey it clearly.   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Mintel in May 2014.

Long, thorough interview process. The first interview is with an HR specialist over the phone. 30 min. It took about a week to set it up. Positive feedback was returned right away, and a phone interview was setup with the hiring manager. Went about 40 min. Questions were very conversational. They wanted to know my experience and background, and they described responsibilities for the position and wanted to feel out if the job responsibilities sound interesting.
    Next they gave an analysis assignment: they send a set of data and you get about 2 weeks to analyze it and create a powerpoint presentation for the in-person interview. The interview was a panel and they focused on the presentation and asked related questions. You can then bring in examples from your work history to supplement what you demonstrated in the presentation. They have a very nice office (open concept design, no assigned seats, many sleek collaboration spaces, ping pong) and seem to use it as a recruiting tool. They also emphasized that they are looking for people who can take initiative and possess an entrepreneurial spirit.

Interview Questions
    • What would your advice be to a client based on your research for this presentation?
      Questions around "why" you think the data trends the way it does in your presentation.

Answer Question
    Able to negotiate a small increase in base pay. Even as an analyst, they target nearly 30% of total compensation to come from their quarterly bonus program, which new hires are generally not eligible for until their second quarter of working. I have yet to see how reliable the bonus payouts are for, but management has been very up front tracking target/actual revenues on a weekly basis.

Associate Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

Applied online through their website and got a call within the next hour to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. Talked with the recruiter, then second interview with hiring manager, and finally an in-person interview with hiring manager and three other people. Week after final interview I received an offer and accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any question during the interview process which caught me off guard. Be sure to know who Mintel is and what they do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Mintel.

The interview process at Mintel was straight forward. Apply for a job through the company website. Receive a phone call from the internal recruiter for a phone screen. A second phone call was scheduled with the hiring manager. This was followed by a face to face interview at their office with three or four people. You may be asked to give a presentation to demonstrate your ability to present to clients. This should be expected considering Mintel is a vendor providing other business with market research.