Mintel Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014

3.2

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mintel in October 2014.

I had an initial phone screener with an internal recruiter, and then a phone interview with my manager-to-be. Then, I had to write a report based on 20+ pages of data from Mintel, I also included data and insights from other sources. I received good feedback and was invited to an in-person interview with a Research Manager and a fellow (Senior) Research Analyst. I felt I did very well, and was communicated that the final step was to make a presentation.

After a few days I haven't received the data for the presentation, so I reached out to the HR contact asking for a follow-up on my interview, and she NEVER replied. I deserved at least a simple email stating they were moving with other applicants. This is very rude!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. In-person interview focused on explaining the work process, which sounded rigid.   Answer Question

Account Executive - Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mintel in September 2014.

Had a phone interview and an in person interview. the companies offices are cool and overlook the river. seemed easy however i did not receive the position. every one seemed relatively young, and the recruiter was very nice. it was a couple of days between the interviews and it seemed to be going well. i guess not.

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Mintel in September 2014.

Applied via company website after networking with a current employee; had a phone interview with the HR manager then submitted writing samples; felt like it was a promising opportunity but the department manager was looking for a more traditionally qualified candidate.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

Mintel seems to have a well-established hiring system: I had an initial phone interview with HR, followed by an online test. Once completed, I had another interview with a Software division supervisor (this was mostly to confirm my interest, discuss my answers to the test, and answer my questions). After this they scheduled a real, in-person interview. The interview was pretty rigorous, with extended tech questions and roleplaying situations. The interviewers were very friendly; though the questions were non-trivial, this was the least intimidating interview I've ever had. They were very helpful with my questions.

Interview Questions
    • The roleplay situation required quick thought and analysis of the situation provided, and an ability to construct a detailed solution and convey it clearly.   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Mintel in May 2014.

Long, thorough interview process. The first interview is with an HR specialist over the phone. 30 min. It took about a week to set it up. Positive feedback was returned right away, and a phone interview was setup with the hiring manager. Went about 40 min. Questions were very conversational. They wanted to know my experience and background, and they described responsibilities for the position and wanted to feel out if the job responsibilities sound interesting.
    Next they gave an analysis assignment: they send a set of data and you get about 2 weeks to analyze it and create a powerpoint presentation for the in-person interview. The interview was a panel and they focused on the presentation and asked related questions. You can then bring in examples from your work history to supplement what you demonstrated in the presentation. They have a very nice office (open concept design, no assigned seats, many sleek collaboration spaces, ping pong) and seem to use it as a recruiting tool. They also emphasized that they are looking for people who can take initiative and possess an entrepreneurial spirit.

Interview Questions
    • What would your advice be to a client based on your research for this presentation?
      Questions around "why" you think the data trends the way it does in your presentation.
        Answer Question
    Able to negotiate a small increase in base pay. Even as an analyst, they target nearly 30% of total compensation to come from their quarterly bonus program, which new hires are generally not eligible for until their second quarter of working. I have yet to see how reliable the bonus payouts are for, but management has been very up front tracking target/actual revenues on a weekly basis.

Associate Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

Applied online through their website and got a call within the next hour to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. Talked with the recruiter, then second interview with hiring manager, and finally an in-person interview with hiring manager and three other people. Week after final interview I received an offer and accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any question during the interview process which caught me off guard. Be sure to know who Mintel is and what they do.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Mintel.

The interview process at Mintel was straight forward. Apply for a job through the company website. Receive a phone call from the internal recruiter for a phone screen. A second phone call was scheduled with the hiring manager. This was followed by a face to face interview at their office with three or four people. You may be asked to give a presentation to demonstrate your ability to present to clients. This should be expected considering Mintel is a vendor providing other business with market research.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mintel.

(1) Call from HR pre-qualifying you (2) Called in for formal interview with manager, they see if they like you (3) Homework: you need to prepare a mock cold call selling a Mintel report to a customer (4) Interview with VP and sales manager, meeting the team

They want to see if you are sociable, likeable, but also that you have a serious grasp on what is at stake. If you can somehow make them confident that you know how to bring in the ca$h and that you have a young, fun and vibrant (but professional) attitude, then they'll probably like you.

Interview Questions
    • handling objections and asking the right questions to during the mock cold call   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate the baseline salary for this position.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mintel.

After submitting my resume and cover letter I was contacted by someone in the HR department. We had a basic conversation about myself, the position and what I knew about Mintel. To prepare I would look at the Mintel website and become familiar with the company. She didn't ask me anything too difficult. Then I was asked to participate in a face-to-face interview with the woman I spoke with and two people who would be my superiors. This was exactly what you would expect from an interview: more in depth questions about my background, why Mintel, etc. It is specifically an entry level position so although the questions were not super basic or easy they weren't completely out of left field. The last stage of the interview is a session to shadow a manager and participate in a role play. The role play prompt is given ahead of time so you can prepare. I kind these types of situations a bit awkward, but I think they know that and as long as you've prepared and you have some confidence you can do okay. I think they can tell whether you will be right for the position or not no matter how well you try to cover up potential flaws. Just prepare and stay calm.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected questions, but be sure to come up with some interesting questions of your own and not just basic next step questions.   Answer Question

I got a more lucrative offer elsewhere.

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Mintel in August 2013.

entire process took about a month, with 3 interviews total. initial screening call with HR personnel, hour long phone interview with supervisor, then in person interview with an hour long writing test.

non-negotiable.