Missionary Training Center Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

3.3

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

10 minutes timed to practice teaching one of the missionary lessons, the objective to bring the spirit, be a facilitator of learning, and strengthen commitment to follow Christ. You choose when to start the timer. They asked questions to get to know you about your mission, simple but no feedback on how you did. language interviews over phone, to see your conversational skills with several questions to check your understanding of grammar and vocabulary at the end.

Interview Questions

• Questions (To check language skills) How do you say (how far?)   Answer Question

Progressive Investigator Actor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT).

Interview

The interview process is about your background and personal experience in whatever you did before. At the same time, you are asked questions about if you have been a convert or not, if you are young adult if you served a mission or not. Even though there is no right/wrong answer what the interviewer is trying to find is if you have any connection with missionary work. If you were a convert, great, you don't need any missionary experience, however if you were never a convert some missionary experience in the field may be helpful, however that does not disqualify you as long as you have tespian skills and can develop a role you still can get the job.
    Another part of the interview is to act in front of a camera with a set of missionaries teaching you the lessons. There you show your tespian skills using your role, and you may be hired even if you never went on a mission or if you were never a convert to the church, even if you are not a member of the church!

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been an actor before?   1 Answer

Tagalog Instructor Interview

Interview

I applied online. Everyone gets invited for the walk-in interview where you teach two RMs. I got an email a week later saying I was highly recommended and should expect a call in 2 weeks. I received a call about 3 weeks later and had 2 interviews. About 2 hours after the 3rd interview I got an offer. Both of these interviews were mostly teaching.

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in October 2014.

Interview

Intense. There's an online application, plus several interviews. (Including one-way video interview, panel interview, one-on-one, etc.) They observe you teaching and observing someone else and giving feedback. It's a bit excessive and took a little over a month. Maybe it's a weed-out thing: by the end I wasn't sure I even wanted the job if it takes that long to make a decision.

Foreign Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through the Missionary Training Center website. In the online application, I was asked to submit a video of teaching. After application, I received an email from the training coordinator that he was interested in getting to know my background. During the interview, I was given a situation, and he asked me how to resolve the problem with missionaries.

Interview Questions

• How will you teach a principle when missionaries are struggling with the language.   Answer Question

MTC Teacher Interview

Interview

The interview process has changed quite a bit as I understand it, but it basically consists of a mock teaching session with former teachers who rate applicants on their teaching skills.

Interview Questions

• There are actually few questions in the teaching rating session, so be prepared to offer a well thought out mini-lesson.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in July 2013.

Interview

Taught a lesson to two returned missionaries. They gave me a time limit.
    Then a two on one interview where they asked me a few questions on what i would do in a given situation. They also had me role-play a scenario where i would coach two missionaries about companionship study.

Teacher/Trainer Interview

Interview

It is fairly rigorous in the english department. You have to go through 3 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Role-playing right in front of them...How would you handle this situation? (Situation depends on what kind of training is going on at the moment?)   Answer Question

Negotiation

You just have to agree to following the schedule that you set up with your co-teacher.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview began with requiring me to teach other employees on a topic I chose from a list of options. They rated my teaching ability and then submitted it for supervisors to be able to see. I then had a phone interview by someone who spoke the language I was applying to teach (Swedish) and held a conversation with me to asses my language skills. Thereafter, I was contacted by the head of the department where I know work and was called in for a basic personality interview.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was if I would work on Sundays. Considering it's a religiously affiliated position, I wasn't sure if it was a test. Because of the nature of the job, it is required to work on Sundays.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. There is a very high supply of candidates for this position in Provo, UT. Additionally, it's a part-time, hourly position and pay is non-negotiable.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center (Provo, UT) in October 2011.

Interview

The MTC has an online website where you fill out a form including information about yourself and where you served a mission, etc. Then, it is up to you to walk into the MTC and teach two reviewers something from PMG that is not out of chapter 3 (there are more specifics on the application online). After that, you had to call in (they may have changed some things, this was about a year ago) and talk to someone in Spanish. They'll ask you certain things to translate and you just say it back to them in Spanish. Then they will send you an email telling you about where you scored on the initial teaching visit among all other applicants (mine said in the middle range).

When a training coordinator needs new employees and they select you for an interview, you go in for a group interview with 4-5 other candidates. They'll give you an outline of something to teach and then you'll teach it to the other candidates in a group setting. There will be like 5 of the training staff there watching. If one of the training coordinators likes you, he or she will call you back in for a personal interview with some behavioral-based questions, etc.

Interview Questions

• This job is intense and requires a good balance of time, what with social, school, and other constraints. Can you do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have certain pay levels for teachers, I wouldn't try to negotiate a higher wage. After 4 months you'll get a raise and then they have yearly performance reviews with wage increases.