Missionary Training Center Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

3.2

Tagalog Instructor Interview

I applied online. Everyone gets invited for the walk-in interview where you teach two RMs. I got an email a week later saying I was highly recommended and should expect a call in 2 weeks. I received a call about 3 weeks later and had 2 interviews. About 2 hours after the 3rd interview I got an offer. Both of these interviews were mostly teaching.

Foreign Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in July 2014.

I applied through the Missionary Training Center website. In the online application, I was asked to submit a video of teaching. After application, I received an email from the training coordinator that he was interested in getting to know my background. During the interview, I was given a situation, and he asked me how to resolve the problem with missionaries.

Interview Questions
    • How will you teach a principle when missionaries are struggling with the language.   Answer Question

MTC Teacher Interview

The interview process has changed quite a bit as I understand it, but it basically consists of a mock teaching session with former teachers who rate applicants on their teaching skills.

Interview Questions
    • There are actually few questions in the teaching rating session, so be prepared to offer a well thought out mini-lesson.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in July 2013.

Taught a lesson to two returned missionaries. They gave me a time limit.
    Then a two on one interview where they asked me a few questions on what i would do in a given situation. They also had me role-play a scenario where i would coach two missionaries about companionship study.

Teacher/Trainer Interview

It is fairly rigorous in the english department. You have to go through 3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Role-playing right in front of them...How would you handle this situation? (Situation depends on what kind of training is going on at the moment?)   Answer Question
    You just have to agree to following the schedule that you set up with your co-teacher.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in October 2012.

The interview began with requiring me to teach other employees on a topic I chose from a list of options. They rated my teaching ability and then submitted it for supervisors to be able to see. I then had a phone interview by someone who spoke the language I was applying to teach (Swedish) and held a conversation with me to asses my language skills. Thereafter, I was contacted by the head of the department where I know work and was called in for a basic personality interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was if I would work on Sundays. Considering it's a religiously affiliated position, I wasn't sure if it was a test. Because of the nature of the job, it is required to work on Sundays.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. There is a very high supply of candidates for this position in Provo, UT. Additionally, it's a part-time, hourly position and pay is non-negotiable.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in October 2011.

The MTC has an online website where you fill out a form including information about yourself and where you served a mission, etc. Then, it is up to you to walk into the MTC and teach two reviewers something from PMG that is not out of chapter 3 (there are more specifics on the application online). After that, you had to call in (they may have changed some things, this was about a year ago) and talk to someone in Spanish. They'll ask you certain things to translate and you just say it back to them in Spanish. Then they will send you an email telling you about where you scored on the initial teaching visit among all other applicants (mine said in the middle range).

When a training coordinator needs new employees and they select you for an interview, you go in for a group interview with 4-5 other candidates. They'll give you an outline of something to teach and then you'll teach it to the other candidates in a group setting. There will be like 5 of the training staff there watching. If one of the training coordinators likes you, he or she will call you back in for a personal interview with some behavioral-based questions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • This job is intense and requires a good balance of time, what with social, school, and other constraints. Can you do it?   Answer Question
    They have certain pay levels for teachers, I wouldn't try to negotiate a higher wage. After 4 months you'll get a raise and then they have yearly performance reviews with wage increases.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in September 2011.

The first interview is pretty straightforward. You prepare to teach two returned missionaries and are given a strict time limit (five or so minutes) to do so. Then you are able to evaluate what you taught, and reteach and improve. The second interview is different. You teach a fundamental from the Fundamentals from PMG to a group of teachers.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, but the second interview was an unexpected setting. I was with 5-6 other applicants and had to teach to all of them.   Answer Question
    Very simple. The compensation is set and wasn't negotiable for me.

Teacher for Senior Missionaries Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in August 2011.

I applied online and was asked to set an appointment where I taught two teachers and they gave you a rating my color (red, yellow or green). The second interview process was being interviewed by the two training coordinators. After that I was called a couple days later being told I received the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was a difficult situation on your mission and how did you resolve it   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in May 2011.

They called me after applying and told me that I was being considered for a position here at the MTC. A week after I had my interview and was hired as a part-time Spanish teacher at the MTC.