Missionary Training Center

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Updated Jul 8, 2014

3.5

MTC Teacher Interview

The interview process has changed quite a bit as I understand it, but it basically consists of a mock teaching session with former teachers who rate applicants on their teaching skills.

Interview Questions
    • There are actually few questions in the teaching rating session, so be prepared to offer a well thought out mini-lesson.   Answer Question

Teacher/Trainer Interview

It is fairly rigorous in the english department. You have to go through 3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Role-playing right in front of them...How would you handle this situation? (Situation depends on what kind of training is going on at the moment?)   Answer Question
    You just have to agree to following the schedule that you set up with your co-teacher.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in October 2012.

The interview began with requiring me to teach other employees on a topic I chose from a list of options. They rated my teaching ability and then submitted it for supervisors to be able to see. I then had a phone interview by someone who spoke the language I was applying to teach (Swedish) and held a conversation with me to asses my language skills. Thereafter, I was contacted by the head of the department where I know work and was called in for a basic personality interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was if I would work on Sundays. Considering it's a religiously affiliated position, I wasn't sure if it was a test. Because of the nature of the job, it is required to work on Sundays.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. There is a very high supply of candidates for this position in Provo, UT. Additionally, it's a part-time, hourly position and pay is non-negotiable.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in October 2011.

The MTC has an online website where you fill out a form including information about yourself and where you served a mission, etc. Then, it is up to you to walk into the MTC and teach two reviewers something from PMG that is not out of chapter 3 (there are more specifics on the application online). After that, you had to call in (they may have changed some things, this was about a year ago) and talk to someone in Spanish. They'll ask you certain things to translate and you just say it back to them in Spanish. Then they will send you an email telling you about where you scored on the initial teaching visit among all other applicants (mine said in the middle range).

When a training coordinator needs new employees and they select you for an interview, you go in for a group interview with 4-5 other candidates. They'll give you an outline of something to teach and then you'll teach it to the other candidates in a group setting. There will be like 5 of the training staff there watching. If one of the training coordinators likes you, he or she will call you back in for a personal interview with some behavioral-based questions, etc.

Interview Questions
    • This job is intense and requires a good balance of time, what with social, school, and other constraints. Can you do it?   Answer Question
    They have certain pay levels for teachers, I wouldn't try to negotiate a higher wage. After 4 months you'll get a raise and then they have yearly performance reviews with wage increases.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in September 2011.

The first interview is pretty straightforward. You prepare to teach two returned missionaries and are given a strict time limit (five or so minutes) to do so. Then you are able to evaluate what you taught, and reteach and improve. The second interview is different. You teach a fundamental from the Fundamentals from PMG to a group of teachers.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, but the second interview was an unexpected setting. I was with 5-6 other applicants and had to teach to all of them.   Answer Question
    Very simple. The compensation is set and wasn't negotiable for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in May 2011.

They called me after applying and told me that I was being considered for a position here at the MTC. A week after I had my interview and was hired as a part-time Spanish teacher at the MTC.

Referral Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in November 2010.

Online application, based on their need, they called me up for a teaching evaluation (where they have you teach a short lesson from a principle out of any part of Preach My Gospel). If you do well there, they'll have you come back for a group interview. They are just looking for your ability to teach.

Interview Questions
    • "Based on the lesson you just taught, what is one section you could have done better. Go ahead and reteach that portion based on the corrections you suggested."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in January 2010.

First you go in and have your teaching evaluated by two people who you teach something that is relevant to them. If you are in the higher part of the teaching ability, you are called back by the part of the MTC that will hire you. If you speak a language, there is also a phone interview to determine proficiency. After that there are group or individual interviews until they decide to hire you.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in July 2009.

The hiring process for a $39,000/year 3-5 year temporary full-time position involved taking a 4-hour written exam on my area of expertise, writing a review of and a recommendation for the curriculum, conducting research on a topic and writing a summary memo to a supervisor, preparing and presenting a presentation to the MTC leadership, and then being interviewed by that group. This was a bit excessive!

Interview Questions
    • I expected one or two rounds of interviews, not going through the gauntlet.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Russian Language Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Missionary Training Center in April 2009.

There are two main interviews after the application has been accepted and picked for review. The first is a session where you teach two other teacher who evaluate your approach, content, methods. The second is an interview with the training coordinator who asks a series of questions about previous experiences, future expectations, and general questions about situations that might occur in the classroom.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    There really is not any negotiation.