ModCloth

Relevance Date Difficulty

Not Disclosed Interview

Not Disclosed
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at ModCloth in May 2013.

Interview Details – This is apparently a company in serious need of some adult supervision.

I was contacted for an interview with the company after being referred by an internal connection. The interview date and time were confirmed by e-mail. Less than 2 hours before my interview was to take place, I got an e-mail from them telling me they'd offered the job to someone else, so they were canceling my interview. If they were that close to filling the position then they shouldn't have committed to interview me, or any other candidates for that matter.

Interview Question – Interview never took place, so no questions were ever asked.   View Answer

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ModCloth in June 2012.

Interview Details – I knew someone at the company, and he knew they had openings. I applied to be a black box tester for UI/UX. I met with several people on the team. Almost everyone at the company seemed unhappy, although everyone was nice enough. The project manager was friendly. I didn't like that the team leader was a guy and all his direct reports were women. Had a creepy harem feeling about that. And I didn't like him much.

Mostly I found it strange that they didn't actually ask me to, you know, test anything while I was there. They kept asking me about my previous career (not QA). I found that strange and discouraging. I couldn't figure out why it seemed like they weren't really listening to my answers or taking me seriously as a candidate, if they had bothered to bring me in. They seemed less interested in whether I was smart or had potential, and only in whether I had already done the job they needed filled (and they knew from my resume that I had not).

Interview Question – Stupid question: how many tennis balls fit into a school bus.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They didn't want to offer me the position I interviewed for, because they said they needed someone who could "really hit the ground running". Instead they offered me a lower-level, 24/7 support position. They didn't initially mention the salary, and I turned it down. Later they came back and mentioned the salary was more than I was making in my current job, but it was still below what I thought was worth the round-the-clock hours they were proposing.

UI Developer and User Experience Designer Interview

UI Developer and User Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at ModCloth.

Interview Details – ModCloth's interview process was by far the most positive hiring experience I've ever had. I went through a total of five interview rounds. What I appreciated the most was that I never wondered through the process about when I'd hear back from them. The recruiter always gave me very firm deadlines.

#1. This was a phone call with a recruiter, asking all the basic questions. (How would I to commute to San Francisco? How did I hear about ModCloth? What are my future goals?)

#2. An email "engineering quiz" that had me create answer some technical questions, as well as do some practice exercises.

#3-#5. On-site interviews with managers and, pairing with a developer. Everyone was very nice, and it was a very conversational interview process.

All throughout the process the recruiter always kept me informed of my interview status

Interview Question – What career path would I most want to follow: designing or developing? (This position is a hybrid role)   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ModCloth in October 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and cover letter for a different position and went through a phone screen, after which they declined me, but said they'd keep me on file. Contacted me about a month later about a project manager role. Came in for a day of interviews (4ish interviews), then did a follow up in person interview about 2 weeks later. Then a final phone interview. Was offered the position about 5 days later.

Be prepared for a lengthy and potentially frustrating interview cycle. Interviewers are frequently changed around or not available anymore. It was totally worth it in the end, but I would recommend you approach the process with a lot of patience.

I'd also recommend that you ask your interviewers for feedback and they'll give it to you straight, which is so refreshing and appreciated.

Interview Question – No particularly difficult or unexpected questions, but was given very direct feedback, which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I was happy with the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Web Analytics Interview

Web Analytics
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ModCloth.

Interview Details – Interview process was simple with a phone call with Recruiter and then call with VP and then onsite with two analyst. One analyst was very sharp while the other one may be expert in her field but had no clue how Web Analytics works. Very templated questions.

HR lethargic in giving clear answer or feedback. Some other candidate had the same issue. Not sure the HR or the hiring manager had any clue how mistreating an applicant can hurt their brand. Or many be they do not have any brand.

Interview Question – I knew about the subject matter more then the interviewers so there were no difficult or unexpected question. Both Analyst were stressed out and my effort to lighten up the mood went down the drain most of the time.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Intern Interview

Test Engineer Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ModCloth in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from Modcloth immediately after applying for the position. They sent me a question to solve using java . I wrote working code,used junit n simple black box test cases to test the entire code. I got a call the next evening to come in for an in-house interview . I went in and was asked to justify my solution. After that they gave me call within an hour and gave me the internship job.

Interview Question – Justifying the solution.   Answer Question

Merchandise Planner Interview

Merchandise Planner
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ModCloth.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR for initial screening.
I was sent an assessment on how I would manager certain business scenarios. I sent the assessment back and was told that I did very well.
Went in for 3 interviews where most of the questions were around processes, forecasting, team dynamics, tools/excel.
Didn't get an offer because they didn't feel like I fit the company culture despite having the skill set.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Excel function? What is the most difficult Excel formula you've written?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ModCloth in August 2012.

Interview Details – First sent resume to the head of talent at First Round Capital, ModCloth's venture backer. He then passed along my resume to a recruiter at ModCloth. I did a phone screen, a "mini case studies" comprising six finance/accounting/business related questions, then was brought onsite to meet with the controller, FP&A manager, financial consultant and CFO.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to say no to someone.   Answer Question

Analytics Interview

Analytics
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ModCloth in July 2012.

Interview Details – My experience would've qualified as reasonable if not for an unacceptable rudeness of the head recruiter who, after weeks of back and forth and multi-hour in-person interviews (that incidentally didn't work out), thought it was ok to dismiss me in a system-generated email and then proceeded to ignore my polite email requesting some post-mortem feedback... that is after I spent time and effort to interview at the company with a number of people and in person... don't tell me this is how "they" all are once they realize they don't need you... For the 1st time in my 15 year career I was treated in such a flagrantly insulting way... This guy is in charge of company's recruiting, so as far as I am concerned his behavior must be reflective of the company's position towards human resources - disposable and insignificant...

Interview Question – Nothing about the interview was particularly difficult or challenging, but I think there was no chemistry between me and the interviewers, and so the position ended up looking like an ill fit...   Answer Question

Service Interview

Service
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ModCloth in June 2010.

Interview Details – When a position and person are just the right fit, it doesn't feel like an interview. I truly believe that after this interview.

Interview Question – They asked specific situational questions that were difficult at first to answer but became easier as the experience went on.   Answer Question