ModCloth

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
South San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ModCloth in May 2012.

Interview Details – 30 minute Phone interview with Lead Engineer.

1 hour Pair Programming session with lead engineer.
  Cool guy. Comfortable pair programming session. Lead expressed that he was impressed with my speed in Vim and the pair programming session. Noted that my rspec skills were better than most people who apply with a lot of ruby experience. This was the ideal interview. Show your skills at test driving code.

Recruiter lines up next interview which is to gauge where my interests lie
  ( ie. which of the two teams needing help am I best fit to serve )

2 one hour Q and A sessions with two possible teams I would be working with.
  First Team:
    Pretty kick back guys. Simple questions about how to implement a rails erb code snippet using backbone.js. What are your weaknesses? What are you most comfortable with?

Second Team:
    Chill and professional guys. When they enter, I was told they only had a half hour to spend on the interview. We ended up discussing jasmine.js issues and solutions that we both encountered and I helped them solve an issued they were currently facing, so the session ended up lasting pretty much the full hour, until the recruiter knocked on the window to cut it short. ( Either very apparent that I was not a good fit from the first group's feedback, or else there was some emergency that the second group really had to attend to ). Simple backbone.js and jasmine.js questions mostly.

The amount of positive feedback throughout process practically guaranteed the job, but I failed to impress in the Q and A sessions apparently and was surprised to hear three days later that "the team is looking for more experience, so it's not going to work". Was told I would hear back from team within a day regarding a decision, but I had to contact the recruiter twice after the supposed decision date to get an answer. Overall quick turn around though and I'm happy for that, but I'm still pretty confused regarding selection. The Q and A sessions should involve some programming rather than mostly small talk and white-board psuedo-code that does not involve much problem solving.

Interview Questions

• ( At a white-board ) How would you implement this rails erb pseudo code snippet using backbone.js?   View Answer
  • Have you ever had issues with jasmine.js?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at ModCloth

Worked for ModCloth? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ModCloth Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by ModCloth employees and interview candidates.