Model N

Relevance Date Difficulty

User Experience Design Lead/Architecvt Interview

User Experience Design Lead/Architecvt
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Model N in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted directly by their in-house recruiter. She was interested in moving forward after our initial conversation and scheduled an interview visit for the following week. The time/date didn't work out, so we agreed to reschedule. Crickets for a few weeks, although the recruiter said she'd schedule the interviews for the following week. I had given up when she called again out of nowhere and with no warning, wanting to schedule the interview again. OK, fine. When I arrived for the interview, I waited about 10 minutes for the recruiter to appear, which already cut into the scheduled interview time (it was only scheduled for 1 hour). I was led into the main office area to a messy conference room, then left alone for another few minutes. Since I had been asked to present my work to the interview group, I set up my laptop, figured out all of the logistics myself, and erased enough of the completely full whiteboard (the only surface on which to project) to use for the interview. I was joined by the hiring manager, head of Product Management, and an engineer. We walked through a few of my examples and things seemed to go well. I asked to see their project, which they were happy to share. We ran 20 minutes late (they were driving at this point), no sign of the recruiter, then the hiring manager walked me to the door. Casual and positive conversation and a little discussion about next steps.

And that is where it ended. I contacted the recruiter for feedback the next day. She didn't respond. Tried again, and again no response. After a third attempt, I had no desire to associate with this completely unprofessional bunch.

Interview Question – Something about how to get to consensus on design decisions, not a very challenging or well informed question.   Answer Question

Purchasing Interview

Purchasing
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Model N in April 2013.

Interview Details – The staff at Model N seem unhappy and it reflects in the interview process. They seem to want to scare you off instead of selling the company as a good place to work at. If the interview is a negative experience, why would anyone pursue a position there.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working with negative and demanding people.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Model N in September 2012.

Interview Details – Sporadic, and unorganized. Too long and a bit unprofessional.

Interview Question – None. Most people did not even know how to interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fine.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Senior Account Executive

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Model N.

Interview Details – Waste of time! Was told the manager may not show up for the interview. Did show up, late.
Another small fish company with a HUGE EGO!
Was told you need to pass interviews with 5 team members. Was told that one of the criteria for selection is appitude. When I inquired about this was told: We have many MIT engineers you will be working with and they get frustrated if you don't have the appitude. Really? As if we all came from even smaller companies than Model N with low entry employees. Really Model N, who is wagging the tail here? Sales or engineers?

Interview Question – Have to show your W2's. Invasive requirement!   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Model N in August 2013.

Interview Details – good people, met several over a couple of interviews. things went quickly throughout the process.

Interview Question – explain how i balance complex and competing deadlines.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Model N.

Interview Details – internal recruiter; then hiring manager; if then interview team; if then present back to them

Interview Question – lack of industry domain expertise   View Answer

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Senior User Experience Designer
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Model N in March 2014.

Interview Details – Round 01

Recruiter contacted my from my application on Linkedin. Did not ask for whether it was good time to talk, and started asking questions majorly to do with my experience working with cross functional team, my decision to take up a design career, and about my current product. Asked to have a look a current examples of work, which I did share via email. Most of the questions asked were standard.

The recruiter spoke about two positions, and said that my profile fitted in well for both roles.

Round 02
Set up for a phone interview with the Technical Director for 45 minutes. The technical director was more interested in how I worked with team, in the past as well as my current project. Asked me to walkthrough one of the projects on my portfolio. The questions focused majorly on people management, than design. We ran out of time, and I did not get a chance to ask any questions and the conversation ended pretty abruptly.

The recruiter wrote to me asking if I did have my conversation with the Director. Did write a couple of mails to the recruiter asking for a follow up, but no response till date. Really unprofessional.

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Model N.

Interview Details – 1 Phone Interview and 1 in-person interview

Interview Question – Lots of brain teaser questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took a different job

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Model N.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Interviews with another consultant and the hiring manager (Senior Corporate Manager). Straight forward short interviews resulting in an offer.

Interview Question – Don't recall any difficult questions but, Senior Manager was not open and honest about the difficulties the department/company has.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for $5/hr more than offered and it was accepted.

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Model N in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward. I connected with a Model N recruiter and was brought in for an interview that same week. The interview was part of an interview Super Day in which several others were also interviewing. We had a dinner the night before, and were able to meet some current employees. The interviews were fairly simply, and there were no surprise questions. In fact, I felt a large part of the interview was them trying to convince me that I should take the job rather than me actually selling myself, so it was overall very stress free. I heard back about my employment decision about 2 weeks after the interview. The recruiter was extremely helpful and responsive throughout the entire process.

Negotiation Details – There was no option for negotiation

Worked for Model N? Contribute to the Community!