Moma Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2015

2.8

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I initially applied through the MoMA website and was contacted about 3 weeks later via email to set up a phone interview. It was a phone interview with two members of the department I was applying for that lasted somewhere around 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Fairly standard questions about my previous experiences in Communications and Marketing. Asked about my ability to use specific software such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop as well. Was given the opportunity to ask the interviewers questions as well.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Moma (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Went through a recruiter. Interviewed with HR and two associates. I interviewed with Senior HR and two associates in the investment department. HR spent about an hour and then the associates 30 minutes.

Nothing happened. They hired someone with less experience for less money.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified for this role.   1 Answer

Digital Design Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Moma.

Interview

It was very relaxed and conversational. We just talked about my past experience and reviewed my portfolio together. I spoke with two different people: the art director at the MoMA Store as well as a lead designer.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Moma.

Interview

A very fast process for me, which included 2 interviews in one day, back-to-back. 1 with HR, 1 with hiring supervisor and Department Manager. Both interviews were very natural conversations and they were very easy to talk to. Afterward they also asked me for references and for a writing sample where they gave me a specific prompt to respond to - it was a mock formal report.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a broad question about my long-term career goals, which I think can be very tricky to navigate and summarize succinctly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Fast & simple.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Moma in September 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted by email to set up a phone interview.
    Phone interview was generally about how I can operate under pressure, what I can bring to MoMA, and my overall experience.
    The person was very nice, but can seem disinterested in what you have to say especially if you seem nervous. They're looking for people already know what they're doing, and don't really want to train or let anyone grow into the position even if they have a high potential for growth.

Interview Questions

• What I could bring to MoMA   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Moma in August 2014.

Interview

I filled out and mailed the paperwork and didnt get called for an interview until 2 weeks before the notification date.

Despite living 30 minutes away from the museum I was given a phone interview.

Like any interview I prepared well in advance and was ready to answer any questions on my work and educational experience

what I got instead was a quick run over what I would be doing in the internship and the simple question of whether everything she had explained sounded like something I would be interested in, with the interview lasting less then 10 minutes.

And that was that. I sent a thank you letter shortly afterwards only to get my rejection letter 1 week after the notification date.

and FYI despite being one of the most renowned museums in the world who apparently got over 500 applications from every pocket of the globe, each department is allowed to hire a maximum of ONE intern per season.

Interview Questions

• Would you be interested in doing that?   1 Answer

Architecture and Design Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Moma (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

General online application followed by two rounds of phone interviews, one by the head of the summer internship program, and the next by an employee in the Department of Architecture and Design. Each was approximately 45 minutes in length.

Interview Questions

• Described at least on academic exploit which required you to work in a group setting and tell us about your role in the group.   1 Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Moma (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

3 Essay questions required; 2009 salary was cut from $2000 for 3 months to $1000, had to confirm I was OK with this to continue to be considered for position; phone interview followed. I was informed in the next few days that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest life/ job experience you have had, and how did you overcome this? What was the outcome?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation as a summer intern; you take what they give you. It is, however, a very good opportunity if nothing else because it will look fabulous on your resume.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Moma.

Interview

There is an application, along with letter of recommendation, and resume

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficulty you faced working in your past internships?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Moma in December 2011.

Interview

Typical interviewing process. Know your background and how it suits the position requirements. Was runner up.