Monetate

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.8

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monetate.

Panel style interview where you present a short deck about why you feel you would be a great fit for the company and then you go through the process of sitting with members of your potential team and more or less discuss your prior experience and your fit with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Ask to explain in detail what the company does for clients   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Monetate in October 2014.

I applied online. First had a quick initial phone call with a recruiter that took about 10 minutes. Interviewer quickly went through my resume and asked about past projects. At the end of this interview was scheduled for a 2nd interview with the director of the team. My 2nd interview was a more in depth interview. It lasted about half an hour and went into more detailed questions about past work and projects.

Client Success Team Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Monetate.

Had two phone interviews, followed by an in person. Very concise with requirements and timeline and professional and nice along the way. Whole process was just a few weeks. Included a presentation phase on site as well as lunch/interviews with other members of the team. Everyone very professional.

Interview Questions
    • Why Monetate? It's a startup, so this is always a tricky question because if you're not truly passionate and the product and company it will come through.   Answer Question

Client Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Monetate.

Let me preface this by saying that I really liked the products Monetate offered and really wanted to work for this company, before I started interacting with them and interviewed.

The correspondence started with a phone interview that was rescheduled 4 times. That's not a joke. After the fourth time of rescheduling (20+ emails), I finally locked in a time with the recruiting agent five weeks after my initial contact (she no longer works there). After the phone interview, I directed to have another phone interview with one of the directors at Monetate. Luckily, this went well and I was invited to the office for an interview.

After another call with the hiring manager, I set up a time to come into the office to interview. This was rescheduled twice (go figure) and I finally was given a time. She also claimed to have sent interview instructions but I never received them until the night before the interview. We were to create a 10minute Powerpoint presentation on something we were passionate about, which we would be giving to 5-6 people followed by splitting into groups of 2 to meet with employees individually. Not too difficult.

When I arrived, the hiring manager wasn't even there and I was directed to a conference room that was promptly filled with about 20 people. I gave the presentation and then met with 4 different groups of people, all of whom asked various questions about past experience, college, etc. The interviews went well and I was shown out a side door when I was done.

My biggest pet peeve is that there was ZERO communication between anyone there and the people they were interviewing (my friend also interviewed there for a different position and shared the same sentiment). I wasn't given any dates for a response ,no feedback on the process, just shown the door. Then there was radio silence for 2 weeks, with not one person out of 5-6 people returning any emails. Eventually I got a message saying I did not get the job.

Two months later, a new hiring manager reached out about another interview. A month after that someone from the VC firm that invested in Monetate reached out to see if I wanted to interview again. Overall, I was discouraged by the extreme lack of communication, the overall lack of organization in their hiring department with over 5 people handling communication and setup, and the disregard for my time. Reading their current reviews I'm pretty glad I never ended up there.

Interview Questions
    • Creating a powerpoint that was supposed to be delivered to about 5 people, that was in actuality given to about 20-23 people.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Monetate in April 2014.

I'll start by saying that Monetate's software seems to be a valuable resource for retail manufacturers. I can't see it being very valuable in any other industry, maybe financial services like consumer banking/investing.

I interviewed for the Inside Sales Manager position twice.

1st Time:

I reached out to Monetate looking for any type of inside sales position as I was very interested in the up & coming software company. They happened to be building an inside sales team to sell Engage, their email marketing product. An internal recruiter "J" followed up with me. We had a phone interview. Straight-forward, asked about my background and my interest. Next phone interview was with one of the Sales Operations managers, once again, nothing outside of the normal first phone interview, basic questions about my current work and performance.

I was then asked to come on-site, which I did during the week (I had to call this a doctors appointment so it caused me to use some personal time). The manager I spoke with was unavailable so I met with two gentlemen from the Business Development Team. Great guys, I really liked them, but they had nothing to do with the management that I would be reporting to. Spent about an hour talking about how I go about selling in my current job, my performance, my previous training. They asked questions but nothing was behavioral or unexpected. They tried to pressure me a bit by giving me some made up scenarios to see how I would handle it. As I answered I got the sense that I was writing their future training manual. I didn't really get the sense that the people there were formally training for inside software sales. Left on a good note and was told that I would be followed up with in a week's time.

I emailed the recruiter twice in the first two weeks after the on-site. On the second email I was told that they were overcoming some internal hurdles and would reach out to me ASAP once they had good news. Included in the response was their employee health benefits package. I have no idea why they sent that, I guess they thought it was a deal sweetener despite everything being pretty average.

2 months pass with no word.

During this time I probably emailed them three times, about once every two weeks. I never heard back.

2nd Time:

A new recruiter, "A", was now reaching out to me saying that she had spoken with J who said she should reach out to me for the Inside Sales Manager position. I explained that I had already interviewed for that and J never followed up to my multiple attempts to re-engage. A explained that they had to hire like 2 tiers of managers before hiring team members which is what held up the timeline. Reasonable, but still didn't excuse the complete lack of communication.

I had about two phone calls with A and she asked me to come back on-site to meet the new managers. I asked her to send me some content in writing that describe their comp package, since I had already put in a lot of effort on my end without having received much in return. A week passed and she offered to give me "an update from the new manager regarding some of my comp package questions, but that I would have to come on-site to hear the rest."

At this point I'm completely disinterested in pursuing any type of sales position at Monetate.

The company seemed young, fun, and they had interesting software to sell, however, it all seemed very unprofessional and childlike (regarding child-like: everyone wears whatever they want, lots of toys and random stuff floating around the office, etc.). They are trying to re-create a silicon valley feel on the east coast and I think expectations are higher over here regarding professionalism. This company may seem amazing to a lot of millennials (I'm one as well), however, if you're going to promote a fun work environment, you need to maintain a high level of professionalism externally.

I need more than wearing un-tucked flannel shirts and free lunch to hit my professional goals and Monetate just didn't seem like they had much figured out yet. This company could be set up to do great things, but I think they are years away from becoming what they think they already are.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell Engage if the prospect did not indicate having a pain or challenge to overcome?   View Answer

I can't say I was offered a job since I withdrew from the process before getting to that point, but I think it would have been easy to get an offer if I stuck around. Best of luck to future interviewers. I would say this would be an excellent intro to inside software sales for recent grads since it is hard to break into software as a young professional.

Client Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Monetate.

The process was very professional and open - I liked how they stuck to their timelines for the most part, and asked really great questions. It started with me doing a presentation to about 5 people on a subject of my choice, and then I met with 4 individuals of varying titles within the company which gave me a great perspective. The interview lasted about 3 1/2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • "Talk about a time when a client was unhappy with the company's work, and how you resolved and moved past the issue."   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Monetate in August 2013.

I was referred to the position by a friend of mine who works there - they really like referrals, so check linkedin and see if you aren't connected to one of their employees before applying.

I was contacted by their recruiter right away about my application, and she was great. She really appreciates professionalism. I had a phone screen with her that went very well. I was then passed to a phone interview with the Sr. Product Marketing Manager, which was OK. He was hard to read and I could not tell what his thoughts / feelings were. He stated that I would hear back from them with next steps by the end of that week. That was 2 months ago. I even followed up with the recruiter via email, and never got a response.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a campaign that you were in charge of that failed, and how you handled that / what you learned from it.   View Answer

Managing Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Monetate.

Had a phone screening with recruiter before being called in for on-site interview. Everyone positive, friendly, seemed like a fantastic work atmosphere. Interviewer was cordial and asked intelligent, relevant questions.

Market Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conshohocken, PA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Monetate in February 2013.

I was referred to the company by a friend of a friend. I was put in contact with "J" in HR for a quick and painless phone interview. From there I scheduled a phone interview with my future manager and was later called in for an in-person interview at the HQ. I was offered the job on my way home from the interview.

Strategic Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Conshohocken, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Conshohocken, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Monetate.

I sent in my résumé and was called in for an interview. Then a week later I went back for another interview.