MongoDB

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

New/Recent Grad - Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in March 2013.

One phone screen. One technical phone interview coding on google docs. How would you write DB write / access functions to make sure data is not modified by threads. Parse mathematical expression given as chars in array ['1', '+', '2,' '/', '4']. Four onsite interviews over the course of 4 hours asking a variety of questions. Write algorithm to find loop in graph, write C code to convert integer to string.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to find a loop in a graph. The graph is unidirectional with any number of connections. The graph is not necessarily connected   View Answers (2)

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in July 2013.

Made it to the second phone interview with 10gen.
    The first interview was a very chilled out interview and it is hard to judge how well you have done because it doesn't seem as a proper interview.

They asked questions about your career and about me. There are no technical questions at this point.

The second interview on the other hand is a different story.
    They ask you questions that are technical but they are the type of questions that you can really only "show" your answers, by this i mean you ideally need to be next to them on a computer to show how to carry out the steps.

The questions are convoluted and story-based.

I felt it was unfair to expect someone to be able to put across their technical expertise over the phone with these type of questions.

During the interview I was told that 10gen have a "ten" interview process.

This is ridiculous.

Who has time for 10 interviews?

Interview Questions
    • This company is a database company, you should know your database technologies. No unexpected questions, just really convoluted questions and hard to decipher and put your technical expertise over the phone.   Answer Question

Intern Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Many interviews. Something like 6 hours all in all.
    Pretty surprised because ALL the interviews went pretty well, I even finished a couple interviews before the allowed time (because I solved the problem that was asked, and answered all the interviewer's questions)... and yet I didn't get an offer after such a lengthy interview process.

Overall the interviewers were passionate and nice. (one exception though)

Interview Questions
    • Some really low-level questions that are totally unrelated to the internship position I was interviewing for. I think I answered correctly, but it still was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met MongoDB recruiters at university job fair and applied. Got an email asking for a brief HR call in a week. Passed HR call and had 30 min technical phone interview answering coding questions. After 2 weeks they informed I made it to the final round of interviews. Three video calls asking a variety of technical questions. Offer was extended 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Convert an integer to a string in C without using any libraries or casting   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter so I set up a phone interview. She asked me a lot of questions about MongoDB's software and whether I had ever used it before. She also asked me about SQL. She asked me what kind of projects I am interested in working on. I wasn't really interested in MongoDB so the interview process ended.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

Applied on campus from career fair, then got a phone interview shortly afterwards. First a bit of behavioral stuff, i.e. resume (projects, classes) and why MongoDB. Then was asked about basics of Python, like list comprehensions, threading, etc. Afterwards I was asked a simple technical question involving pointers (I think something about squaring each element in an array and having the order maintained). Wasn't too prepared for the language details so I messed up a couple of those questions.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

I sent in a resume to their website, received an email asking to set up a phone screen. After speaking for roughly 15 minutes about projects I had worked on and questions I had about the position the conversation was over.

Interview Questions
    • This was an informal phone screen as opposed to a technical interview.   Answer Question

Technical Services Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Applied through the website. The recruiter sets up a time to call you and speak with you. If you pass this screening, you get a Technical phone interview with a very senior member of the Team. The interview went well I thought, since the interviewer really liked my answer. However, I got an email that they decided to move on. I was hoping to get a call for another round of phone interview but I could not get through to the next round. Both the interviewers who spoke to me were extremely nice. It would have been my dream company to work for with all the smart people who work there. The next generation Big data company.

Interview Questions
    • They are a database company with distributed databases. However along with database concepts, you should be good with at least one programming language..It could be Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, C any one of those.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Had an HR Interview where I discussed why I wanted to work with the company, which lasted around 45 minutes.

Then I had a Skype interview with an employee that worked remotely; it was really great talking to him. He was very nice, and I learned a lot from him, though he wasn't able to tell me a lot about the culture at the office since he visited less frequently.

The last part of the process was a phone interview. The person I talked to was a little awkward, but she was very nice and I enjoyed the conversation.

Interview Questions
    • I had a rather lengthy discussion during the Skype interview about how garbage collectors were implemented in various languages. I don't know if I would say it was a question perse, but it was difficult giving adequate explanations of each, discussing not only the implementation but also the pros and cons.

I also had a question about finding the largest prime divisor of a number, which I thought was difficult because the question itself was so easy, so it was kinda difficult to find good ways to optimize.

View Answer