MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

New/Recent Grad - Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

One phone screen. One technical phone interview coding on google docs. How would you write DB write / access functions to make sure data is not modified by threads. Parse mathematical expression given as chars in array ['1', '+', '2,' '/', '4']. Four onsite interviews over the course of 4 hours asking a variety of questions. Write algorithm to find loop in graph, write C code to convert integer to string.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to find a loop in a graph. The graph is unidirectional with any number of connections. The graph is not necessarily connected   2 Answers

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in July 2013.

Interview

Made it to the second phone interview with 10gen.
    The first interview was a very chilled out interview and it is hard to judge how well you have done because it doesn't seem as a proper interview.

They asked questions about your career and about me. There are no technical questions at this point.

The second interview on the other hand is a different story.
    They ask you questions that are technical but they are the type of questions that you can really only "show" your answers, by this i mean you ideally need to be next to them on a computer to show how to carry out the steps.

The questions are convoluted and story-based.

I felt it was unfair to expect someone to be able to put across their technical expertise over the phone with these type of questions.

During the interview I was told that 10gen have a "ten" interview process.

This is ridiculous.

Who has time for 10 interviews?

Interview Questions

• This company is a database company, you should know your database technologies. No unexpected questions, just really convoluted questions and hard to decipher and put your technical expertise over the phone.   Answer Question

Intern Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Many interviews. Something like 6 hours all in all.
    Pretty surprised because ALL the interviews went pretty well, I even finished a couple interviews before the allowed time (because I solved the problem that was asked, and answered all the interviewer's questions)... and yet I didn't get an offer after such a lengthy interview process.

Overall the interviewers were passionate and nice. (one exception though)

Interview Questions

• Some really low-level questions that are totally unrelated to the internship position I was interviewing for. I think I answered correctly, but it still was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Met MongoDB recruiters at university job fair and applied. Got an email asking for a brief HR call in a week. Passed HR call and had 30 min technical phone interview answering coding questions. After 2 weeks they informed I made it to the final round of interviews. Three video calls asking a variety of technical questions. Offer was extended 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Convert an integer to a string in C without using any libraries or casting   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was nice and quick. I applied at the career fair after getting an invite from the recruiter. I was then approached for a 30-45 min phone chat with someone from HR. After getting through that which involved a basic CS question, I got a call from an Engineer. This interview wasn't technical either and focussed more on my work and interests. These two interviews took about 2 weeks. Then I was contacted the same week for another on the phone interview in 1 week time. This interview would be technical and I would be writing code on an online collaborative editor. This interview went well and after clearing this stage I was invited to MongoDB's New York office for a final round. The final round was very relaxed and chill. We enjoyed lunch with new graduates and other employees and then I had 3 1 hour interviews back to back. The day ended with a 10-15 chat with the recruiter. I received an email asking what was a good time to talk on the phone the following week and was later told that I had been offered the position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions relied on Algorithms, Data Structures and objective thinking more than anything else. Interviewers were very accommodating and took you through the process in a supportive and helpful manner. They expected you to know basics about the way code runs on a machine and errors that can arise based on the approach you take.   Answer Question

I received a more compelling offer from another firm.

Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter who had found me on LinkedIn. Phone screening, then invited for on-site interview. Six interviews in a row on a single day. I was impressed by the high standard they were looking for, this was way beyond what I expected from a small startup. They made it clear I was exactly who they were looking for, and wouldn't let me leave the building without making an offer.

Interview Questions

• Complex exercise in system design, where each reasonable answer unlocked a further level of complexity. Exciting discussion.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter so I set up a phone interview. She asked me a lot of questions about MongoDB's software and whether I had ever used it before. She also asked me about SQL. She asked me what kind of projects I am interested in working on. I wasn't really interested in MongoDB so the interview process ended.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Phone screening:

interviewer asks questions about resume. She seemed to only say yes to any of my descriptions, neither agreeing nor discussing why. I asked for feedback on my interview to no avail. Hopefully, they can start doing a better job on interviewing. I heard they ask brain teasers which can be quite a turnoff for many interviewees

Interview Questions

• She didn't ask any technical questions. Only behavioral questions. Seems they want someone familiar with their product and who can hit the ground running.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by MongoDB recruiter after submitting resume through their website. I was set up with an initial call (HR Screen) and then phone interview with two engineers about a week after that. The phone interview had a coding component on a collaborative editing website. I was notified of rejection by a very nice voicemail message from the recruiter. Will apply again next year.