MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.1

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process is extensive. It can be daunting and it can be exhausting. Some interviewers will be "adversarial" and they will attempt to see how you perform under pressure. I know several folks who are extremely talented but did not get an offer. The interview process will eliminate some good candidates, but everybody who eventually gets an offer is at the top of their field.

Interview Questions

• Question about best practices for a specific programming language? Or how different programming languages differ   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was nice and quick. I applied at the career fair after getting an invite from the recruiter. I was then approached for a 30-45 min phone chat with someone from HR. After getting through that which involved a basic CS question, I got a call from an Engineer. This interview wasn't technical either and focussed more on my work and interests. These two interviews took about 2 weeks. Then I was contacted the same week for another on the phone interview in 1 week time. This interview would be technical and I would be writing code on an online collaborative editor. This interview went well and after clearing this stage I was invited to MongoDB's New York office for a final round. The final round was very relaxed and chill. We enjoyed lunch with new graduates and other employees and then I had 3 1 hour interviews back to back. The day ended with a 10-15 chat with the recruiter. I received an email asking what was a good time to talk on the phone the following week and was later told that I had been offered the position.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions relied on Algorithms, Data Structures and objective thinking more than anything else. Interviewers were very accommodating and took you through the process in a supportive and helpful manner. They expected you to know basics about the way code runs on a machine and errors that can arise based on the approach you take.   Answer Question

I received a more compelling offer from another firm.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

The interview process started with a discussion with recruiter on job match, then phone interview and on-site interviews (all day). The process was very thorough. The questions were both tough and very relevant.

Interview Questions

• Design a order fulfillment database model and tell us how the application would use the model.   Answer Question
    • What was the toughest technical issue you had the solve? What made it tough? What was you solution process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me what I asked for.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I had a screening call followed by two further phone interviews. This was then followed by a morning of three onsite interviews. Two with team members and one with the hiring manager (who I had a phone interview with previously). The interviews were pleasant, some of the technical questions were tricky or not areas that I was familiar with but they allow you to apply your knowledge to the question and seem to understand that not everyone knows it all.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)) in July 2013.

Interview

Made it to the second phone interview with 10gen. The first interview was a very chilled out interview and it is hard to judge how well you have done because it doesn't seem as a proper interview. They asked questions about your career and about me. There are no technical questions at this point. The second interview on the other hand is a different story. They ask you questions that are technical but they are the type of questions that you can really only "show" your answers, by this i mean you ideally need to be next to them on a computer to show how to carry out the steps. The questions are convoluted and story-based. I felt it was unfair to expect someone to be able to put across their technical expertise over the phone with these type of questions. During the interview I was told that 10gen have a "ten" interview process. This is ridiculous. Who has time for 10 interviews?

Interview Questions

• This company is a database company, you should know your database technologies. No unexpected questions, just really convoluted questions and hard to decipher and put your technical expertise over the phone.   Answer Question

New/Recent Grad - Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

One phone screen. One technical phone interview coding on google docs. How would you write DB write / access functions to make sure data is not modified by threads. Parse mathematical expression given as chars in array ['1', '+', '2,' '/', '4']. Four onsite interviews over the course of 4 hours asking a variety of questions. Write algorithm to find loop in graph, write C code to convert integer to string.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to find a loop in a graph. The graph is unidirectional with any number of connections. The graph is not necessarily connected   2 Answers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Met MongoDB recruiters at university job fair and applied. Got an email asking for a brief HR call in a week. Passed HR call and had 30 min technical phone interview answering coding questions. After 2 weeks they informed I made it to the final round of interviews. Three video calls asking a variety of technical questions. Offer was extended 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• Convert an integer to a string in C without using any libraries or casting   1 Answer

Intern Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Many interviews. Something like 6 hours all in all. Pretty surprised because ALL the interviews went pretty well, I even finished a couple interviews before the allowed time (because I solved the problem that was asked, and answered all the interviewer's questions)... and yet I didn't get an offer after such a lengthy interview process. Overall the interviewers were passionate and nice. (one exception though)

Interview Questions

• Some really low-level questions that are totally unrelated to the internship position I was interviewing for. I think I answered correctly, but it still was unexpected.   Answer Question

Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter who had found me on LinkedIn. Phone screening, then invited for on-site interview. Six interviews in a row on a single day. I was impressed by the high standard they were looking for, this was way beyond what I expected from a small startup. They made it clear I was exactly who they were looking for, and wouldn't let me leave the building without making an offer.

Interview Questions

• Complex exercise in system design, where each reasonable answer unlocked a further level of complexity. Exciting discussion.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.