MongoDB

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews

Event Coordinator Interview

Interviewed at MongoDB

Interview Details – Several phone interviews, was invited in and met 6 different people, all went very well. Last interview was with VP. Never heard from them again.

Interview Question – How many gas stations in the United States?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed at MongoDB

Interview Details – 1 HR telephone interview, 2 technical interviews

Interview Question – algorithms, data structures, projects   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MongoDB in September 2013.

Interview Details – I took part with 2 phone interviews. 1st interview was just to introduce myself and the recruiter. A quick tour on my career, interests, aicnd what MongoDB is looking for. It was not challenging at all.

2nd interview was supposed to be a technical interview and it was. Since I come from Java world the most of the questions were Java related. All of them were very easy for me to answer and I did not find this interview challenging whatsoever.

The problem here is that they were not interested in continuation, which is quite difficult to understand for me. It seems that this was pure waste of time, maybe they just make their statistics on number of interviewed persons. This just does not make sense to me. Overall experience with this company is very poor because even I asked for some feedback they just ignored me.

Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at MongoDB in December 2010.

Interview Details – As a member of the open source community working with frameworks based on the product I already had a lot of experience and interaction with many people in the company. This lead to an interview and discussions about jobs before that. The interview involved multiple meetings with engineering folk and managers which resulted in a job offer. We then went and back with multiple responses before the offer was accepted. The whole process seem labored and unprofessional (informal) in many ways.

Interview Question – How much water is on the planet (earth)?   View Answers (3)

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MongoDB in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews were scheduled over one day. Process was really enjoyable. I was asked a couple of interesting coding questions to see how I think but the majority of the interview time focused on my experiences as CTO, why I was interested in working at 10gen, and what I wanted to do at the company.

Interview Question – When an interviewer disagreed about a technical choice that I had made for a website I was asked to defend my opinion and argue my point of view.   View Answer

Software Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MongoDB in September 2011.

Interview Details – As I started out as a contractor, I didn't really have a formal interview. My "contractor interview" consisted of talking with my manager, the CTO and president for about 15-30 minutes each. I think it was more to see whether I would fit in culturally as I had already show that I was able to do my job.

Negotiation Details – I just mentioned an amount I was going to be happy with, with a little bit more. That got accepted.

Technical Architect Interview

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at MongoDB in December 2012.

Interview Details – The single biggest pain point was how long this took. And, every time I got a call from HR, it was to tell me that another call with someone else had been scheduled.

In total I fielded over 12 different onsite and offsite meetings over 3 months. There were several times when I was convinced that this is a serious waste of time.

After the technical phone screen, I went in for an in-person invterview that lasted 4 hours and there I met 4 people. That same day I received a call from one more person.

It took 3 months to receive an offer.

Interview Question – We have a person who logs into a website using their Facebook credentials. Anything they post to that website can be seen by their friends and those friends' friends only.
How would you optimize the collection of this data?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I took the base salary, stock options and bonus structure as is. I thought it was pretty fair.

Database Kernel Engineer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Had an initial phone screen. I answered all the questions except the C++ ones. I didn't know they were big on C++ knowledge.

Interview Question – The questions on C++ were the unexpected ones. Interviewer asked me to write a very simple coding questions, but asked me to use vectors from the C++ standard library and use iterators for iterating through those elements. I couldn't answer as C++ isn't on my resume.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB in July 2013.

Interview Details – recruiter call, technical interview with hiring manager, technical team group interview onsite, interview interview with VP. Reference check. Offer made

Interview Question – how various search algorithm O time change if it is done in parallel on multi cpu machine   View Answer

Reason for Declining – better option available

Junior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at MongoDB in December 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Knowledge based questions:
  a. What do you think is the difference between C and C++?
  b. What's the difference between malloc in C and new in C++?
2. Algorithm questions:
  a. Given a word, how to find all anagrams in a dictionary.
3. Coding questions:
  a. Reverse a linked list.
  b. How would you test your program?
  c. Can you remove all if-statements in your program?

Interview Question – Find all anagrams of a word in a dictionary.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at MongoDB

Worked for MongoDB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MongoDB interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by MongoDB employees and interview candidates.