MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

I sent in a resume to their website, received an email asking to set up a phone screen. After speaking for roughly 15 minutes about projects I had worked on and questions I had about the position the conversation was over.

Interview Questions
    • This was an informal phone screen as opposed to a technical interview.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

First I got a call from recruiter ,and then a telephone view

Intern Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB.

Many interviews. Something like 6 hours all in all.
    Pretty surprised because ALL the interviews went pretty well, I even finished a couple interviews before the allowed time (because I solved the problem that was asked, and answered all the interviewer's questions)... and yet I didn't get an offer after such a lengthy interview process.

Overall the interviewers were passionate and nice. (one exception though)

Interview Questions
    • Some really low-level questions that are totally unrelated to the internship position I was interviewing for. I think I answered correctly, but it still was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB.

I applied through a recruiter after meeting a MongoDB employee at a hackathon. I went through an informal get to know you interview over the phone and then a technical interview over the phone. Both phone interviewers were extremely kind, and I thought the person conducting the technical interview was both patient and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • First I was asked a few basic design questions, like how I would design an online chat system with separate room. Then I was asked why I've chosen some of of the technologies that I have worked with.I was asked a standard question about manipulating an array. The input array was sorted integers, and I was asked how to square all the elements and keep it sorted.   View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MongoDB.

Applied online and heard back a month or two later. First had a phone screen where we discussed my resume and I was told I would have a technical interview. During the technical interview I was asked a couple OOP questions and then asked two coding questions. The first was easier than the second and in the second after I wrote the solution we worked through it to try and reduce the time complexity.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions, I was asked to rank my relative experience in different languages and then choose one to write in.   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MongoDB in January 2014.

I had an initial interview for the Development Intern position and I found the interviewer to be young and inexperienced through her way of asking questions. Once the interview was over, I followed up with an email and didn't hear back from her for three months. In that period, I sent her 2 other emails enquiring about my status and she finally responded saying that I didn't get the internship because I was overqualified. Extremely unprofessional!

Interview Questions
    • What are your career goals and how do they apply to MongoDB?   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

Jun 13, 2014Recruiting Operations

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as it could be. Here at MongoDB we strive to give our candidates the best possible interview experience. Would you be willing to go into ... More

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB in December 2013.

First, talked to one of the software engineers at my school's career fair, really connected. Got an email from HR in end of November. Few days later, got a call, talked to the HR person for about 15 minutes. Got an email scheduled for a technical (some friends didn't get this) and got a phone call at the scheduled time.

Waited for about 20 minutes for them to call. He had a meeting. He was nice enough. Went over my resume, interests, etc... this part went fine, but by the time we got to the technical question, we barely had any time left.

His question was "Taking in two strings, find out if they are anagrams". I used a hashtable, which takes a lot of memory. The correct answer (or the one he said was an alternative, though mine worked as well) was sorting it first, then comparing them.

And that was that, they sent me a polite rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • His question was "Taking in two strings, find out if they are anagrams".   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB.

Had an HR Interview where I discussed why I wanted to work with the company, which lasted around 45 minutes.

Then I had a Skype interview with an employee that worked remotely; it was really great talking to him. He was very nice, and I learned a lot from him, though he wasn't able to tell me a lot about the culture at the office since he visited less frequently.

The last part of the process was a phone interview. The person I talked to was a little awkward, but she was very nice and I enjoyed the conversation.

Interview Questions
    • I had a rather lengthy discussion during the Skype interview about how garbage collectors were implemented in various languages. I don't know if I would say it was a question perse, but it was difficult giving adequate explanations of each, discussing not only the implementation but also the pros and cons.

I also had a question about finding the largest prime divisor of a number, which I thought was difficult because the question itself was so easy, so it was kinda difficult to find good ways to optimize.
        Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB in November 2013.

Got contacted by MongoDB, since they had my resume from last year. I went through a 45 minute technical interview by phone, then another 45 minute phone interview, and finally three interviews onsite. I felt the onsite interview questions were not that difficult, but I tunnel visioned too hard on one approach and missed an easy solution.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string of parantheses, brackets, and curly braces, write a function that returns whether the string is well balanced, in that every left delimiter is closed by the correct right delimiter. I was asked this question by multiple interviewers, it seems like their go-to question.   View Answer

Software Engineering Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MongoDB in October 2013.

I applied online and talked to them at a career fair and they emailed me for a phone interview. I was asked technical questions and we had a brief conversation about mongoDB.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't super difficult but I was asked to write a prime factorization function:
      // print the prime factors of the input number.
      void primeFactorsPrint(int num)
        Answer Question

Worked for MongoDB? Contribute to the Community!