MongoDB

MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in December 2013.

Got contacted initially by the college recruiter. We set up a time for a quick 30-min behavioral screen and what followed was a phone coding interview. If that had gone well, there would have been an onsite.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about database choices. Know what NoSQL is, what MongoDB is. Got eliminated after a really easy phone interview question - this is one of my first interviews and I did not know what I was doing.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter so I set up a phone interview. She asked me a lot of questions about MongoDB's software and whether I had ever used it before. She also asked me about SQL. She asked me what kind of projects I am interested in working on. I wasn't really interested in MongoDB so the interview process ended.

Intern Interview

Applied online, was contacted for initial screen, and then contacted for a technical phone interview. The process took 3 weeks, and email responses took a couple of days each time, feedback after interview took about a week. Good experience with HR and good interview experience overall,

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

Applied on campus from career fair, then got a phone interview shortly afterwards. First a bit of behavioral stuff, i.e. resume (projects, classes) and why MongoDB. Then was asked about basics of Python, like list comprehensions, threading, etc. Afterwards I was asked a simple technical question involving pointers (I think something about squaring each element in an array and having the order maintained). Wasn't too prepared for the language details so I messed up a couple of those questions.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met MongoDB recruiters at university job fair and applied. Got an email asking for a brief HR call in a week. Passed HR call and had 30 min technical phone interview answering coding questions. After 2 weeks they informed I made it to the final round of interviews. Three video calls asking a variety of technical questions. Offer was extended 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Convert an integer to a string in C without using any libraries or casting   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The phone screen was very basic and high-level, didn't go into too much detail. The on-site interview was very technical and well paced. It was a little bit of behavioral and then some whiteboarding coding exercise which is always a challenge. One of the more frustrating bits is that the whiteboarding was required to be written in a language that I explicitly said I was not very familiar with.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Applied through the website. The recruiter sets up a time to call you and speak with you. If you pass this screening, you get a Technical phone interview with a very senior member of the Team. The interview went well I thought, since the interviewer really liked my answer. However, I got an email that they decided to move on. I was hoping to get a call for another round of phone interview but I could not get through to the next round. Both the interviewers who spoke to me were extremely nice. It would have been my dream company to work for with all the smart people who work there. The next generation Big data company.

Interview Questions
    • They are a database company with distributed databases. However along with database concepts, you should be good with at least one programming language..It could be Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, C any one of those.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

I sent in a resume to their website, received an email asking to set up a phone screen. After speaking for roughly 15 minutes about projects I had worked on and questions I had about the position the conversation was over.

Interview Questions
    • This was an informal phone screen as opposed to a technical interview.   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MongoDB in January 2014.

I had an initial interview for the Development Intern position and I found the interviewer to be young and inexperienced through her way of asking questions. Once the interview was over, I followed up with an email and didn't hear back from her for three months. In that period, I sent her 2 other emails enquiring about my status and she finally responded saying that I didn't get the internship because I was overqualified. Extremely unprofessional!

Interview Questions
    • What are your career goals and how do they apply to MongoDB?   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

Jun 13, 2014Recruiting Operations

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as it could be. Here at MongoDB we strive to give our candidates the best possible interview experience. Would you be willing to go into ... More