MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

The interview process started with a discussion with recruiter on job match, then phone interview and on-site interviews (all day). The process was very thorough. The questions were both tough and very relevant.

Interview Questions

• Design a order fulfillment database model and tell us how the application would use the model.   Answer Question
    • What was the toughest technical issue you had the solve? What made it tough? What was you solution process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave me what I asked for.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Had two phone screens, one with would-be peer and one with a senior technical member of staff. then came in to meet VP of Engineering and CTO, then came back to meet CEO and VP of Sales. Had a Skype interview along the way with another senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail what your current company's product is and why should someone buy it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter who had found me on LinkedIn. Phone screening, then invited for on-site interview. Six interviews in a row on a single day. I was impressed by the high standard they were looking for, this was way beyond what I expected from a small startup. They made it clear I was exactly who they were looking for, and wouldn't let me leave the building without making an offer.

Interview Questions

• Complex exercise in system design, where each reasonable answer unlocked a further level of complexity. Exciting discussion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews followed by 3.5 hour long series of Skype and in person interviews (4 in all).

The process was quite pleasant and the office had a very informal feel to it.

And of course, you should be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week which includes travel time (flying out of town 50-60 % of the time).

Overall, they have a a very good team and I think it would be an enjoyable place to work at.

Interview Questions

• Data Modeling (University, Course and students problem), SQL, Simple implementation of Linked List, Multi Phase Transaction implementation using a State Transition Diagram, DB concepts like ACID, System Architecture problem involving millions of users and tracking their activity and finally, troubleshooting a slow DB.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MongoDB in January 2015.

Interview

I received a technical interview over the phone. The interviewer, a software engineer, was kind, helpful, and gave useful feedback at the end. I did not receive a phone call afterwards, but an email indicating that I did not get an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email either one or two weeks later with an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just asked about projects I did and what skills I had. Nothing technical. She asked whether or not I was familiar with MongoDB and NoSQL.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Phone Interview: after email from recruiter. The recruiter I think was hiring not only for this company but others too. Anyway, after this, she decided not continue with the process even though my interview was perfect. It was not technical, Behavioural stuff: about my projects, etc

Consulting Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Their recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. He gave me great info about the job and explained how the consulting team fits into the company. He ended up scheduling a second round with the Director. They ended up passing on me but the recruiter was professional and even took the time to call and explain why they decided to pass when I emailed him...which I did not expect.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Was referred by a friend, but took over a month to be contacted by an internal recruiter. Internal recruiter did not have a great bedside manner, and was difficult to work with. I gave him my availability for an onsite and then he never responded to me - I just got an email to confirm my interview from a coordinator 12 hrs beforehand. Experience with recruiter really turned me off to them. Also, the job description changed 3 times throughout my process with them - they had no idea what they wanted!

Interview Questions

• I was asked very straight forward questions about how I would go about solving a specific problem (eg: how would I approach audience segmentation and communications for email marketing).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Behavioral and technical phone screen. Followed by 3 back to back onsite interviews. First onsite is more behavioral, second and third are technical. The interviewers are very friendly and the questions are not too difficult, but stay calm and talk through your thought process.