MongoDB

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2014.

Very long...about a month. Applied online, contacted by HR screener. Then head of marketing. Asked to come in. Met with marketing head. Didn't hear back fro about three weeks and had to e-mail fro follow up.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Applied through the website. The recruiter sets up a time to call you and speak with you. If you pass this screening, you get a Technical phone interview with a very senior member of the Team. The interview went well I thought, since the interviewer really liked my answer. However, I got an email that they decided to move on. I was hoping to get a call for another round of phone interview but I could not get through to the next round. Both the interviewers who spoke to me were extremely nice. It would have been my dream company to work for with all the smart people who work there. The next generation Big data company.

Interview Questions
    • They are a database company with distributed databases. However along with database concepts, you should be good with at least one programming language..It could be Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, C any one of those.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

I was contacted by MongoDB recruiter after submitting resume through their website. I was set up with an initial call (HR Screen) and then phone interview with two engineers about a week after that. The phone interview had a coding component on a collaborative editing website. I was notified of rejection by a very nice voicemail message from the recruiter. Will apply again next year.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

I sent in a resume to their website, received an email asking to set up a phone screen. After speaking for roughly 15 minutes about projects I had worked on and questions I had about the position the conversation was over.

Interview Questions
    • This was an informal phone screen as opposed to a technical interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

Applied on campus from career fair, then got a phone interview shortly afterwards. First a bit of behavioral stuff, i.e. resume (projects, classes) and why MongoDB. Then was asked about basics of Python, like list comprehensions, threading, etc. Afterwards I was asked a simple technical question involving pointers (I think something about squaring each element in an array and having the order maintained). Wasn't too prepared for the language details so I messed up a couple of those questions.

Systems Engineer Interview

First I got a call from recruiter ,and then a telephone view

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

I applied through a recruiter after meeting a MongoDB employee at a hackathon. I went through an informal get to know you interview over the phone and then a technical interview over the phone. Both phone interviewers were extremely kind, and I thought the person conducting the technical interview was both patient and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • First I was asked a few basic design questions, like how I would design an online chat system with separate room. Then I was asked why I've chosen some of of the technologies that I have worked with.I was asked a standard question about manipulating an array. The input array was sorted integers, and I was asked how to square all the elements and keep it sorted.   View Answers (4)

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MongoDB.

Applied online and heard back a month or two later. First had a phone screen where we discussed my resume and I was told I would have a technical interview. During the technical interview I was asked a couple OOP questions and then asked two coding questions. The first was easier than the second and in the second after I wrote the solution we worked through it to try and reduce the time complexity.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions, I was asked to rank my relative experience in different languages and then choose one to write in.   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MongoDB in January 2014.

I had an initial interview for the Development Intern position and I found the interviewer to be young and inexperienced through her way of asking questions. Once the interview was over, I followed up with an email and didn't hear back from her for three months. In that period, I sent her 2 other emails enquiring about my status and she finally responded saying that I didn't get the internship because I was overqualified. Extremely unprofessional!

Interview Questions
    • What are your career goals and how do they apply to MongoDB?   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

Jun 13, 2014Recruiting Operations

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as it could be. Here at MongoDB we strive to give our candidates the best possible interview experience. Would you be willing to go into ... More

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in December 2013.

First, talked to one of the software engineers at my school's career fair, really connected. Got an email from HR in end of November. Few days later, got a call, talked to the HR person for about 15 minutes. Got an email scheduled for a technical (some friends didn't get this) and got a phone call at the scheduled time.

Waited for about 20 minutes for them to call. He had a meeting. He was nice enough. Went over my resume, interests, etc... this part went fine, but by the time we got to the technical question, we barely had any time left.

His question was "Taking in two strings, find out if they are anagrams". I used a hashtable, which takes a lot of memory. The correct answer (or the one he said was an alternative, though mine worked as well) was sorting it first, then comparing them.

And that was that, they sent me a polite rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • His question was "Taking in two strings, find out if they are anagrams".   View Answer