MongoDB

www.mongodb.com
  www.mongodb.com

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Manager DevOps Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

The initial phone interview with their in-house recruiter was pleasant and informative. My second phone interview was with the CTO and was very disappointing. He seemed distracted, disorganized and generally disengaged. I didn't feel like I had a chance to sell myself. To my surprise, I received an email some days later stating that the interview was positive. It took a few weeks of going back and forth to arrange an onsite interview. I was interviewed by two separate people, one of which would be reporting to me had I been hired, which I find very odd. The interview consisted mostly of aptitude questions designed to find out what you don't know and the delivery bordered on being mean-spirited. I've encountered this before when being interviewed by untrained, individual contributors. The second interviewer was the manager of another department within the organization. Although the second interviewer asked some management related questions, there were still an inordinate number of "stump-the-chump" tech questions with the same somewhat mean-spirited delivery. I answered many of the questions without hesitation and was even complimented for being among the top 5%. Not bad for a manager, eh?

I was disappointed with the amount of time and effort I put into this process for a position that was not what I thought it was. I think they really wanted a senior systems administrator, or something along those lines - not a manager.

Interview Questions