MongoDB Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 3, 2015

3.3

Global Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Step 1:Initial Telephone interview with Internal Recruiter Step 2: Phone Interview with a Manager Step 3: In person interview with a Manager Timeline: 1-2 weeks The initial interview seems more or less informational where they want to talk to you about the position, your past relevant experience and your availability. Its a good start off point. The second interview is more specifically related to the position and your responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Past Work Experience mostly. They also want to tell you more about the position and timeline. Its the initial interview so mostly informational. They inform you about the position and what it entails   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I had an initial interview for the Development Intern position and I found the interviewer to be young and inexperienced through her way of asking questions. Once the interview was over, I followed up with an email and didn't hear back from her for three months. In that period, I sent her 2 other emails enquiring about my status and she finally responded saying that I didn't get the internship because I was overqualified. Extremely unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals and how do they apply to MongoDB?   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

Jun 13, 2014 – Recruiting Operations

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not as positive as it could be. Here at MongoDB we strive to give our candidates the best possible interview experience. Would you be willing to go into ... More

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

Got contacted initially by the college recruiter. We set up a time for a quick 30-min behavioral screen and what followed was a phone coding interview. If that had gone well, there would have been an onsite.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about database choices. Know what NoSQL is, what MongoDB is. Got eliminated after a really easy phone interview question - this is one of my first interviews and I did not know what I was doing.   Answer Question

Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter who had found me on LinkedIn. Phone screening, then invited for on-site interview. Six interviews in a row on a single day. I was impressed by the high standard they were looking for, this was way beyond what I expected from a small startup. They made it clear I was exactly who they were looking for, and wouldn't let me leave the building without making an offer.

Interview Questions

• Complex exercise in system design, where each reasonable answer unlocked a further level of complexity. Exciting discussion.   Answer Question

New/Recent Grad - Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

One phone screen. One technical phone interview coding on google docs. How would you write DB write / access functions to make sure data is not modified by threads. Parse mathematical expression given as chars in array ['1', '+', '2,' '/', '4']. Four onsite interviews over the course of 4 hours asking a variety of questions. Write algorithm to find loop in graph, write C code to convert integer to string.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to find a loop in a graph. The graph is unidirectional with any number of connections. The graph is not necessarily connected   2 Answers

Technical Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

The single biggest pain point was how long this took. And, every time I got a call from HR, it was to tell me that another call with someone else had been scheduled. In total I fielded over 12 different onsite and offsite meetings over 3 months. There were several times when I was convinced that this is a serious waste of time. After the technical phone screen, I went in for an in-person invterview that lasted 4 hours and there I met 4 people. That same day I received a call from one more person. It took 3 months to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• We have a person who logs into a website using their Facebook credentials. Anything they post to that website can be seen by their friends and those friends' friends only. How would you optimize the collection of this data?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I took the base salary, stock options and bonus structure as is. I thought it was pretty fair.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process is extensive. It can be daunting and it can be exhausting. Some interviewers will be "adversarial" and they will attempt to see how you perform under pressure. I know several folks who are extremely talented but did not get an offer. The interview process will eliminate some good candidates, but everybody who eventually gets an offer is at the top of their field.

Interview Questions

• Question about best practices for a specific programming language? Or how different programming languages differ   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Had two phone screens, one with would-be peer and one with a senior technical member of staff. then came in to meet VP of Engineering and CTO, then came back to meet CEO and VP of Sales. Had a Skype interview along the way with another senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail what your current company's product is and why should someone buy it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Interviews were scheduled over one day. Process was really enjoyable. I was asked a couple of interesting coding questions to see how I think but the majority of the interview time focused on my experiences as CTO, why I was interested in working at 10gen, and what I wanted to do at the company.

Interview Questions

• When an interviewer disagreed about a technical choice that I had made for a website I was asked to defend my opinion and argue my point of view.   1 Answer