MongoDB

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.9

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Other Interview Reviews for MongoDB

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB.

Met MongoDB recruiters at university job fair and applied. Got an email asking for a brief HR call in a week. Passed HR call and had 30 min technical phone interview answering coding questions. After 2 weeks they informed I made it to the final round of interviews. Three video calls asking a variety of technical questions. Offer was extended 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Convert an integer to a string in C without using any libraries or casting   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

The phone screen was very basic and high-level, didn't go into too much detail. The on-site interview was very technical and well paced. It was a little bit of behavioral and then some whiteboarding coding exercise which is always a challenge. One of the more frustrating bits is that the whiteboarding was required to be written in a language that I explicitly said I was not very familiar with.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter so I set up a phone interview. She asked me a lot of questions about MongoDB's software and whether I had ever used it before. She also asked me about SQL. She asked me what kind of projects I am interested in working on. I wasn't really interested in MongoDB so the interview process ended.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

I sent in a resume to their website, received an email asking to set up a phone screen. After speaking for roughly 15 minutes about projects I had worked on and questions I had about the position the conversation was over.

Interview Questions
    • This was an informal phone screen as opposed to a technical interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MongoDB in September 2014.

Applied on campus from career fair, then got a phone interview shortly afterwards. First a bit of behavioral stuff, i.e. resume (projects, classes) and why MongoDB. Then was asked about basics of Python, like list comprehensions, threading, etc. Afterwards I was asked a simple technical question involving pointers (I think something about squaring each element in an array and having the order maintained). Wasn't too prepared for the language details so I messed up a couple of those questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in December 2013.

Got contacted initially by the college recruiter. We set up a time for a quick 30-min behavioral screen and what followed was a phone coding interview. If that had gone well, there would have been an onsite.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about database choices. Know what NoSQL is, what MongoDB is. Got eliminated after a really easy phone interview question - this is one of my first interviews and I did not know what I was doing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MongoDB in November 2011.

Interviews were scheduled over one day. Process was really enjoyable. I was asked a couple of interesting coding questions to see how I think but the majority of the interview time focused on my experiences as CTO, why I was interested in working at 10gen, and what I wanted to do at the company.

Interview Questions
    • When an interviewer disagreed about a technical choice that I had made for a website I was asked to defend my opinion and argue my point of view.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MongoDB in September 2013.

I took part with 2 phone interviews. 1st interview was just to introduce myself and the recruiter. A quick tour on my career, interests, aicnd what MongoDB is looking for. It was not challenging at all.

2nd interview was supposed to be a technical interview and it was. Since I come from Java world the most of the questions were Java related. All of them were very easy for me to answer and I did not find this interview challenging whatsoever.

The problem here is that they were not interested in continuation, which is quite difficult to understand for me. It seems that this was pure waste of time, maybe they just make their statistics on number of interviewed persons. This just does not make sense to me. Overall experience with this company is very poor because even I asked for some feedback they just ignored me.

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MongoDB in February 2012.

First phone interview was a laid back interview with an HR rep. Most likely to make sure you were at least a competent person. Then there was a technical phone interview in which you were asked to write a given algorithm in any language you like. The question was not hard, though I kind of messed it up, which resulted in me not getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What Does your code typically look like?   Answer Question
    • Write an algorithm that tells me if 2 and only two numbers in a 1x3 array are the same.   View Answer