Monitor Group

Average Difficulty
30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Monitor Group.

Interview Details – Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Question – The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in June 2009.

Interview Details – Like most consulting companies Monitor uses a heavy case-based interview process. The most interesting dimension is having multiple candidates working collaboratively in a case and presenting together. Since these are likely competitors for the role, exposes interesting insights on candidates.

Interviewers are typically case team leaders, other consultants, and rarely a partner

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – $100k base salary as a 2-year work experienced undergrad.

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Interview Questions

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions

• Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
  • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted months ago, and asked if I was interested in coming in for an interview. The first interview occurred approximately three weeks ago.

The first interview started with a case interview. I was given ~30 minutes to review a packet of information (text and charts, ~15 pages) and a series of questions about that information. Following that time period, the interviewer returned and asked me to give answers to the questions, explaining my thought process in detail. Some of the questions were quantitative in nature, others were more qualitative. This case interview was then followed up by a 1 on 1 "fit" interview. (e.g. "Why consulting?" "Why Monitor?" etc.)

Approximately a week later, I was invited for a second interview and given detailed feedback from my first interview.

The second interview was a group interview, with approximately five candidates. We each reviewed identical packets of material for 30 minutes. We were then each given an individual packet of material to review for another 30 minutes (each individual had a unique individual packet which was related to the group material). Each candidate was then given ~15 minutes to present their individual material and the questions they were given. They also presented their answers, but solicited feedback from the other members of the group. Cooperation and collaboration is the name of the game for this group interview, not competition!

The group interview was then followed by a one-on-one interview with more "fit" style questions.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in January 2008.

Interview Details – I had a referral from a Managing Director. That put me in line for the first round interview. It was first a little overview interview, followed by a case interview. The second round a few weeks later, consisted of an individual case interview AND a group case interview. After the interview process there was a period of feedback (that I felt was very critical). I left thinking that they didn't like me, but I got the job.

Interview Question – Take this packet of information about a hot dog stand business and build a marketing plan and forecast financial performance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's recruiting website, and I got the interview. The interviewers were pleasant enough. The whole process was a bit intimidating since I did not understand the world of consulting or its interviews. The problem with the process was how automated everything seemed; I was just another interviewee in a pool of many interviewees. I don't think the employer got to really know me.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Consultant

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Methodical. I was extremely excited about interviewing with Monitor group since it was my top 5 consulting choices. however, after the phone interview, I was left with questioning the choice of Monitor in my top 5. I was interviewing for one of the international locations and the interviewer left a lot to desire in terms of what a consultant actually does. THe person was unclear in his questions and I have been practicing case interviews for eternity now with success. I got unclear data as in the interviewer himself wasnt sure of data and the question. Overall even though i did come up with an answer, I had a feeling that I was being set up to fail.

Interview Question – Why monitor? Why this country? case question   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in January 2007.

Interview Details – Typical case interview, but with printing case materials instead of the traditional oral one. Interviewers appear to be nicer than peer companies, and they didn't turn on the pressure at the interview. Overall, I observe the company culture to be collegial but intellectually challenging during the interview process. Also, the interviews appear to be younger than average.

Interview Question – Market sizing of, say, soft drink   View Answer

Mumbai (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in December 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred to Monitor by a friend who already worked there at the time. Based on his reference, a first round of interview was conducted at the Nariman Point Office by the head of HR at the time - Naina Batra. She was a pleasant person, yet in-control. The office had a nice, relaxed feel to it which, compared to the services organization I already worked with, was a stark difference. I was not made to wait for too long.

The interview was conversational. She asked me why I wanted to work with the firm and I gave her my reasons for shifting. She also asked me where I saw myself in the firm in a short time from then.

This was followed by a telephonic case round with one of the consultants. She gave me a case to solve - a problem with a hospital and estimating the number of beds in this particular hospital that was being set up in a developing country. At all points, she was cooperative. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do particularly well on the interview, and the feedback process she employed told me as much.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question as such, nothing away from the standard list of HR questions and case-related questions that you'd ask. The interviewers never tried to trip you up.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Monitor Group

Worked for Monitor Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Monitor Group Consultant interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Monitor Group employees and interview candidates.