Monitor Group

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Consulting Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2008.

Monitor Group is a very prestigious consulting firm, and I felt fortunate even to be allowed the opportunity to interview with them. I was told that the reason I was selected for a first round interview was because of my essay. The interviewer commented that I seemed eager to work specifically for Monitor and not just any consulting firm.

However, as an undergraduate from a state university, I was unprepared for the case interview. I bought, read, and studied "Case in Point," but it just was not enough. A couple of months later, I was back in New York and emailed my interviewer to see if she would be available to have coffee and relate some insight into having more successful interviews in the future. She said that I did great on the "personality/company fit" portion of the interview, but my performance on the case was not sufficient. She said that other interviewees from Wharton had been participating in prep groups for months. I did what I could but just did not have the kind of resources available to maximize my opportunity.

I will say this, though. I've since had many interviews with public accounting firms, and it was worth paying my own way to New York for a first round interview with Monitor just to have the experience. I did not receive an offer, or even a second round interview, but I reach a level of confidence that wouldn't otherwise be warranted.

Interview Questions
  • The character evaluation questions were nothing especially difficult. Just the case. She asked the basics: Name something you have had to overcome during college? What are your strengths? etc.   Answer Question