Monitor Group

59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in December 2009.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of two rounds. In the first round, I interviewed with one current employee where she took me through a series of questions that were strategic in nature, but did not necessarily go through a whole case study. In the second round, I was placed in a group case study in which we had 1 hour to prepare our answers and 15 minutes to present. Each one of us took a turn at presenting a specific aspect of the case. The group session was followed by a one-on-one and our personal review of the case process.

Interview Question – One of the more memorable questions the interviewer asked me was "Who in the group do you think deserves it the most to get a job at Monitor? Who do you think deserves it the least?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Monitor Group

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews, one 1:1 case study and one final round group case study. Straight forward case studies.

Interview Question – Detail oriented questioning requires careful attention to cases presented.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Monitor Group.

Interview Details – Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Question – The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in March 2011.

Interview Details – Invited to interview at their NY office. Case interview. When I met my interviewer, I tried to engage in small talk for 5 min, proved difficult - she seemed uninterested - then got the lowdown on how the case would go, 15 min to read it on my own, and then a 30 min discussion of the case with her, which was unpleasant - she didn't seem interested in my success. I did stumble several times, and I was not a business student, but she could have been far more willing to work with me, I walked away feeling.

Interview Question – What kind of new products could reverse the decline of this company's profits?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in June 2009.

Interview Details – Like most consulting companies Monitor uses a heavy case-based interview process. The most interesting dimension is having multiple candidates working collaboratively in a case and presenting together. Since these are likely competitors for the role, exposes interesting insights on candidates.

Interviewers are typically case team leaders, other consultants, and rarely a partner

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – $100k base salary as a 2-year work experienced undergrad.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer put a packet in front of me, told me I had 20 minutes to finish it and then left. The packet was around ten pages in length, single spaced and full of charts and graphs. It was essentially a case study having to do with market sizing, but it was at least three times more difficult and more involved than the practice case they had online.

I was not able to finish one of the questions; time ran out, and one of the key elements for completing the quantitative analysis was located in a footnote on one of the graphs, which I happened not to see. After the twenty minutes were up, the interviewer came back in and went over the case with me, listening to my answers and walking me through the parts that I missed. Following this, he gave me a personal interview asking traditional questions about my personality and educational/work background.

In the end, the interviewer called me personally to tell me that he was not going to be able to extend me an offer for a second round interview. He said that because I was a liberal arts major, the pressure was really on me to perform outstandingly in the quantitative section of the interview, and although the parts I finished were correct, I didn't finish the analysis, and other people did. He gave me positive feedback on the rest of my interview and then we ended our conversation.

Interview Question – How much profit does the company generate from the revenue totals for selling shoes that you found in the previous question?   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Interview Questions

Case Team Member Interview

Case Team Member
Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Monitor Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Very friendly and very helpful. This is probably the one place that I really enjoyed the whole interview process

Interview Question – Tell Me About Yourself and Why Monitor   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions

• Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
  • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1 hour interview. They give you a case study based off of one the company has actually done and you have one analytical (math) question and two more holistic ones. You get a really crappy elementary school calculator and a lot of information- more than you can process in 15 min. They come back in and ask you to walk through your thinking- I got the sense that it was about whether the numbers were close, but behind that, really whether your methodology was right and how you approached the question. How do you view the market, why do you see this firm as a competitor and this firm as not one? Etc etc.

Interview Question – (After having said the acquisition would be profitable.) Can you give me any arguments against what you just recommended?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Monitor Group

Worked for Monitor Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Monitor Group interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Monitor Group employees and interview candidates.