Monitor Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Group Interview

Finance Group
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in May 2010.

Interview Details – Every employee (both HR recruiters and supervisors) I interviewed with did a great job of explaining the what is expected in the role and the company dynamic to make sure it was a fit from both ends, looking out for the interest of the applicant as well as their own

Interview Question – Most questions were right in line with the job description requirements   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group.

Interview Details – I was hired through on-campus recruitment from Monitor at my school (Ivy League). I had to apply through our exclusive career center listing and was selected for a screening interview on-campus. The screening interview included a case study where the interviewer assessed my thought process to work through a typical consulting case question. This was followed by a group dinner that all of the candidates attended together (I assume to assess EQ and culture fit).

Interview Question – The case study question was the most difficult as it was a random question to assess problem solving ability. As long as you have some preparation on how to approach case study questions (you can find prep materials online or in the library), it is easier.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate as it was a tough economy and I was happy to have the opportunity.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in December 2009.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of two rounds. In the first round, I interviewed with one current employee where she took me through a series of questions that were strategic in nature, but did not necessarily go through a whole case study. In the second round, I was placed in a group case study in which we had 1 hour to prepare our answers and 15 minutes to present. Each one of us took a turn at presenting a specific aspect of the case. The group session was followed by a one-on-one and our personal review of the case process.

Interview Question – One of the more memorable questions the interviewer asked me was "Who in the group do you think deserves it the most to get a job at Monitor? Who do you think deserves it the least?"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Monitor Group

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews, one 1:1 case study and one final round group case study. Straight forward case studies.

Interview Question – Detail oriented questioning requires careful attention to cases presented.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Monitor Group.

Interview Details – Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Question – The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in March 2011.

Interview Details – Invited to interview at their NY office. Case interview. When I met my interviewer, I tried to engage in small talk for 5 min, proved difficult - she seemed uninterested - then got the lowdown on how the case would go, 15 min to read it on my own, and then a 30 min discussion of the case with her, which was unpleasant - she didn't seem interested in my success. I did stumble several times, and I was not a business student, but she could have been far more willing to work with me, I walked away feeling.

Interview Question – What kind of new products could reverse the decline of this company's profits?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in June 2009.

Interview Details – Like most consulting companies Monitor uses a heavy case-based interview process. The most interesting dimension is having multiple candidates working collaboratively in a case and presenting together. Since these are likely competitors for the role, exposes interesting insights on candidates.

Interviewers are typically case team leaders, other consultants, and rarely a partner

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – $100k base salary as a 2-year work experienced undergrad.

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Interview

Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer put a packet in front of me, told me I had 20 minutes to finish it and then left. The packet was around ten pages in length, single spaced and full of charts and graphs. It was essentially a case study having to do with market sizing, but it was at least three times more difficult and more involved than the practice case they had online.

I was not able to finish one of the questions; time ran out, and one of the key elements for completing the quantitative analysis was located in a footnote on one of the graphs, which I happened not to see. After the twenty minutes were up, the interviewer came back in and went over the case with me, listening to my answers and walking me through the parts that I missed. Following this, he gave me a personal interview asking traditional questions about my personality and educational/work background.

In the end, the interviewer called me personally to tell me that he was not going to be able to extend me an offer for a second round interview. He said that because I was a liberal arts major, the pressure was really on me to perform outstandingly in the quantitative section of the interview, and although the parts I finished were correct, I didn't finish the analysis, and other people did. He gave me positive feedback on the rest of my interview and then we ended our conversation.

Interview Question – How much profit does the company generate from the revenue totals for selling shoes that you found in the previous question?   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Interview Questions

Case Team Member Interview

Case Team Member
Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Monitor Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Very friendly and very helpful. This is probably the one place that I really enjoyed the whole interview process

Interview Question – Tell Me About Yourself and Why Monitor   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Monitor Group

Worked for Monitor Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Monitor Group interview questions and advice. All 64 interview reviews posted anonymously by Monitor Group employees and interview candidates.