Monitor Group

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

3.7

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Monitor Group.

Monitor Deloitte MENA (Dubai)

First, I was invited to complete an online test, which was basic arithmetic and SAT math. The test was timed- you're given very little time (in the "couple of minutes" range- not the "one hour" that was publicized). Don't panic. You'll want to efficiently complete as many questions as possible (I didn't finish, but was able to get more than half right with complete confidence that they were all correct answers).
    (Advice: Attend a webinar. Monitor Deloitte's Dubai office does offer one. It will help you receive this invitation.)

After a week, you'll be invited to a first round interview. Nothing difficult here- you'll have to complete a case study interview. Be sure to engage the interviewer with confidence and to explain and show your work, step-by-step, in an organized manner. (Your interviewer will collect your work.) My interviewer was kind enough to guide me at times, so exhibiting humility was essential. In addition to the case interview, there was a routine behavioral interview with the same interviewer. Be prepared to go over your resume, to explain your interest in consulting and in the specific office, and to articulate your strengths and interests.

Finally, after ~10 days, I was invited for a final interview in Boston.
    This consisted of a group case study interview: you and a collection of fellow candidates have 30 minutes to read the same ~20 pages of literature consisting of emails, memos, charts, etc. You'll want to exhibit good time management, skim through literature, and take notes on important trends you've gathered through analyzing the data. A macro view of the company's situation will be key. Afterwards, each candidate will be assigned 3-5 unique questions pertaining to the case and will be given 15 minutes to prepare answers, which will be presented publicly to the group at-large. Each presentation lasts ~10 minutes with ~5 additional minutes of questioning. Use the white board as you would use your notepad during an individual case study- show key elements of your work- equations, diagrams, etc.- and circle your answers. Engage your peers, be confident, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Act as if they are your teammates.
    (Advice 1: be sure you are answering the questions you've been assigned. It's very easy to accidentally answer others' assigned questions).
    (Advice 2: take good notes in your pad; the interviewers claimed that they don't look at the notes, but it wasn't exactly clear that this was the case.
    (Advice 3: don't be afraid to press your colleagues with questions- follow up on disagreements and don't beat around the bush! My group was very civil and kind to one another, and nobody wanted to truly challenge a colleague's argument or answer (in other words, nobody was an ultra-competitive tool). This actually bugged one of the senior interviewers! A more junior interviewer did not share his colleague's sentiments.)
    Afterwards, you are treated to lunch- a great opportunity to chat with the other candidates. This was personally a great experience since the group of people I was with were very friendly and supportive of one another. The three interviewers who were taking notes at the group interview will pull each person out one-by-one for the behavioral part of the interview. You will take part in two-three behavioral interviews. You'll be asked to evaluate and critique your own performance. You'll also be asked typical cookie-cutter questions like "describe your strengths and weaknesses." Finally, be prepared to ask some questions.
    (Advice: Pray that you don't get the last interview. One of my colleagues told me that they were almost forgotten, that their final interview consisted of little substance, and that they were rushed).

Overall, the interview process was a great learning experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my interviewers and the other candidates' company.

Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said of the HR Department of Monitor Deloitte's Dubai Office. While other major firms (e.g. McKinsey, Simon-Kucher, etc.) had the decency to follow-up with a personal call and with interview feedback in the same day or week, the Dubai office failed to send me any information re: my status. This happened despite a thank you note and an inquiry. After a month of silence, I called the firm with the given extension, and I learned the extension didn't exist. Then, I sent a kind email and received an automated reply- a denial- within a few hours. I received a second rejection email almost a month later. Such protocol is understandable after a 1st round interview, but minimal courtesy is to be expected after a final interview from an elite firm. Unfortunately, another candidate I know had the same distasteful experience with the Dubai office last year. (Fortunately, I've found through personal experience that the HR department in the U.S. offices is very responsive, timely, and considerate).

Interview Questions
    • Why Monitor Deloitte? Why Monitor Deloitte in the Dubai office? What are your top strengths? What is a weakness you have? How do you think you did in the group interview presentation?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group.

I was hired through on-campus recruitment from Monitor at my school (Ivy League). I had to apply through our exclusive career center listing and was selected for a screening interview on-campus. The screening interview included a case study where the interviewer assessed my thought process to work through a typical consulting case question. This was followed by a group dinner that all of the candidates attended together (I assume to assess EQ and culture fit).

Interview Questions
    • The case study question was the most difficult as it was a random question to assess problem solving ability. As long as you have some preparation on how to approach case study questions (you can find prep materials online or in the library), it is easier.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as it was a tough economy and I was happy to have the opportunity.

Intern Interview

Two rounds of interviews, one 1:1 case study and one final round group case study. Straight forward case studies.

Interview Questions
    • Detail oriented questioning requires careful attention to cases presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Monitor Group.

Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

The interviewer put a packet in front of me, told me I had 20 minutes to finish it and then left. The packet was around ten pages in length, single spaced and full of charts and graphs. It was essentially a case study having to do with market sizing, but it was at least three times more difficult and more involved than the practice case they had online.

I was not able to finish one of the questions; time ran out, and one of the key elements for completing the quantitative analysis was located in a footnote on one of the graphs, which I happened not to see. After the twenty minutes were up, the interviewer came back in and went over the case with me, listening to my answers and walking me through the parts that I missed. Following this, he gave me a personal interview asking traditional questions about my personality and educational/work background.

In the end, the interviewer called me personally to tell me that he was not going to be able to extend me an offer for a second round interview. He said that because I was a liberal arts major, the pressure was really on me to perform outstandingly in the quantitative section of the interview, and although the parts I finished were correct, I didn't finish the analysis, and other people did. He gave me positive feedback on the rest of my interview and then we ended our conversation.

Interview Questions
    • How much profit does the company generate from the revenue totals for selling shoes that you found in the previous question?   View Answer

Case Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Monitor Group in October 2011.

Very friendly and very helpful. This is probably the one place that I really enjoyed the whole interview process

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in March 2011.

Invited to interview at their NY office. Case interview. When I met my interviewer, I tried to engage in small talk for 5 min, proved difficult - she seemed uninterested - then got the lowdown on how the case would go, 15 min to read it on my own, and then a 30 min discussion of the case with her, which was unpleasant - she didn't seem interested in my success. I did stumble several times, and I was not a business student, but she could have been far more willing to work with me, I walked away feeling.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of new products could reverse the decline of this company's profits?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions
    • Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
    • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

I was initially contacted months ago, and asked if I was interested in coming in for an interview. The first interview occurred approximately three weeks ago.

The first interview started with a case interview. I was given ~30 minutes to review a packet of information (text and charts, ~15 pages) and a series of questions about that information. Following that time period, the interviewer returned and asked me to give answers to the questions, explaining my thought process in detail. Some of the questions were quantitative in nature, others were more qualitative. This case interview was then followed up by a 1 on 1 "fit" interview. (e.g. "Why consulting?" "Why Monitor?" etc.)

Approximately a week later, I was invited for a second interview and given detailed feedback from my first interview.

The second interview was a group interview, with approximately five candidates. We each reviewed identical packets of material for 30 minutes. We were then each given an individual packet of material to review for another 30 minutes (each individual had a unique individual packet which was related to the group material). Each candidate was then given ~15 minutes to present their individual material and the questions they were given. They also presented their answers, but solicited feedback from the other members of the group. Cooperation and collaboration is the name of the game for this group interview, not competition!

The group interview was then followed by a one-on-one interview with more "fit" style questions.