Monitor Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2014
Updated Jun 1, 2014

3.8

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group.

I was hired through on-campus recruitment from Monitor at my school (Ivy League). I had to apply through our exclusive career center listing and was selected for a screening interview on-campus. The screening interview included a case study where the interviewer assessed my thought process to work through a typical consulting case question. This was followed by a group dinner that all of the candidates attended together (I assume to assess EQ and culture fit).

Interview Questions
    • The case study question was the most difficult as it was a random question to assess problem solving ability. As long as you have some preparation on how to approach case study questions (you can find prep materials online or in the library), it is easier.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as it was a tough economy and I was happy to have the opportunity.

Intern Interview

Two rounds of interviews, one 1:1 case study and one final round group case study. Straight forward case studies.

Interview Questions
    • Detail oriented questioning requires careful attention to cases presented.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Monitor Group.

Was contacted for a first round interview. Scheduled one, arrived at the office on time, waited around for 15 to 20 minutes. The person interviewing me was dressed very casually, he was very young, and was not the person I was told would be interviewing me. They handed me a case study, which was pretty difficult. They came back 20 minutes later, me and my interviewer talked about it, then he started asking the behavioral questions, especially focused on "Why Monitor" and what sets them apart. Then he talked about himself for a while. All and all left the interview feeling bad, it definitely didn't go as I wanted and I got the vibe that they didn't care about me at all. They didn't get back to me for over a month, and when I emailed them they apologized because they had misplaced my paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The Case Study was the hardest, the rest of the interview was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

The recruiters for Monitor were very energetic and personable. During the interview process, we were given a case study of around 10 pages consisting of a 4 pages worth of summary and 6 pages worth of graphs and charts. I was given 25 minutes to answer 3 questions within the 10 pg packet. When the interview started, the first question was about the quantitative section. I had oversimplified the quantitative question using assumptions from previous experience. The interviewer made me go over the entire quantitative question and walked me step by step, at that point I saw I had forfeited the interview from his tone. The interviewer was a industrial engineer from Georgia Tech, he seemed mild mannered and cerebral. Main point is to take the full time to nail the quantitative portion and to thoroughly read the summary within a confined time to allow for problem solving. Also, your notes will be taken up so its important for you to demonstrate organization.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in November 2011.

The interviewer put a packet in front of me, told me I had 20 minutes to finish it and then left. The packet was around ten pages in length, single spaced and full of charts and graphs. It was essentially a case study having to do with market sizing, but it was at least three times more difficult and more involved than the practice case they had online.

I was not able to finish one of the questions; time ran out, and one of the key elements for completing the quantitative analysis was located in a footnote on one of the graphs, which I happened not to see. After the twenty minutes were up, the interviewer came back in and went over the case with me, listening to my answers and walking me through the parts that I missed. Following this, he gave me a personal interview asking traditional questions about my personality and educational/work background.

In the end, the interviewer called me personally to tell me that he was not going to be able to extend me an offer for a second round interview. He said that because I was a liberal arts major, the pressure was really on me to perform outstandingly in the quantitative section of the interview, and although the parts I finished were correct, I didn't finish the analysis, and other people did. He gave me positive feedback on the rest of my interview and then we ended our conversation.

Interview Questions
    • How much profit does the company generate from the revenue totals for selling shoes that you found in the previous question?   View Answer

Case Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Monitor Group in October 2011.

Very friendly and very helpful. This is probably the one place that I really enjoyed the whole interview process

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in March 2011.

Invited to interview at their NY office. Case interview. When I met my interviewer, I tried to engage in small talk for 5 min, proved difficult - she seemed uninterested - then got the lowdown on how the case would go, 15 min to read it on my own, and then a 30 min discussion of the case with her, which was unpleasant - she didn't seem interested in my success. I did stumble several times, and I was not a business student, but she could have been far more willing to work with me, I walked away feeling.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of new products could reverse the decline of this company's profits?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions
    • Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
    • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

I was initially contacted months ago, and asked if I was interested in coming in for an interview. The first interview occurred approximately three weeks ago.

The first interview started with a case interview. I was given ~30 minutes to review a packet of information (text and charts, ~15 pages) and a series of questions about that information. Following that time period, the interviewer returned and asked me to give answers to the questions, explaining my thought process in detail. Some of the questions were quantitative in nature, others were more qualitative. This case interview was then followed up by a 1 on 1 "fit" interview. (e.g. "Why consulting?" "Why Monitor?" etc.)

Approximately a week later, I was invited for a second interview and given detailed feedback from my first interview.

The second interview was a group interview, with approximately five candidates. We each reviewed identical packets of material for 30 minutes. We were then each given an individual packet of material to review for another 30 minutes (each individual had a unique individual packet which was related to the group material). Each candidate was then given ~15 minutes to present their individual material and the questions they were given. They also presented their answers, but solicited feedback from the other members of the group. Cooperation and collaboration is the name of the game for this group interview, not competition!

The group interview was then followed by a one-on-one interview with more "fit" style questions.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

1 hour interview. They give you a case study based off of one the company has actually done and you have one analytical (math) question and two more holistic ones. You get a really crappy elementary school calculator and a lot of information- more than you can process in 15 min. They come back in and ask you to walk through your thinking- I got the sense that it was about whether the numbers were close, but behind that, really whether your methodology was right and how you approached the question. How do you view the market, why do you see this firm as a competitor and this firm as not one? Etc etc.

Interview Questions
    • (After having said the acquisition would be profitable.) Can you give me any arguments against what you just recommended?   Answer Question