Monitor Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2014

3.8

Finance Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in May 2010.

Every employee (both HR recruiters and supervisors) I interviewed with did a great job of explaining the what is expected in the role and the company dynamic to make sure it was a fit from both ends, looking out for the interest of the applicant as well as their own

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were right in line with the job description requirements   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

First round interview is one hour. You are given a written packet with 15 minutes to read through and answer a few questions. The interviewer then enters the room and questions you on the case. The final half hour is general behavioral and resume questions.

The final round interview day consists of two interviews. The first interview is a group case exercise. You are brought to a conference room with 4 or 5 other prospectives and given a business case to read (30 minutes). Then, each person is given an individual problem to work on (30 minutes). A few interviewers enter the room, and observe each group member takes a turn leading a discussion around their individual problem. The goal of this exercise is to recreate a case team environment. This is followed by a 45 minute break, and an individual feedback interview.

Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

I received an e-mail from a recruiter about 2 weeks after submitting my application. We scheduled a time for a phone interview via e-mail. The recruiter asked me to walk her through my whole resume, starting with my education (a challenge since I've been out of school for 10 years!), describing each job I had, my responsibilities, and why I left. Then I was asked why I was interested in that particular position. I asked a few questions about the culture and group I would be working with. I was asked for a salary expectation and unfortunately we were too far apart to proceed further. Seems like a great company and the interviewer was very cordial. All in all the interview probably lasted about 20 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

I applied through my school's recruiting website, and I got the interview. The interviewers were pleasant enough. The whole process was a bit intimidating since I did not understand the world of consulting or its interviews. The problem with the process was how automated everything seemed; I was just another interviewee in a pool of many interviewees. I don't think the employer got to really know me.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Monitor Group in December 2009.

My interview consisted of two rounds. In the first round, I interviewed with one current employee where she took me through a series of questions that were strategic in nature, but did not necessarily go through a whole case study. In the second round, I was placed in a group case study in which we had 1 hour to prepare our answers and 15 minutes to present. Each one of us took a turn at presenting a specific aspect of the case. The group session was followed by a one-on-one and our personal review of the case process.

Interview Questions
    • One of the more memorable questions the interviewer asked me was "Who in the group do you think deserves it the most to get a job at Monitor? Who do you think deserves it the least?"   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Monitor Group in October 2009.

Methodical. I was extremely excited about interviewing with Monitor group since it was my top 5 consulting choices. however, after the phone interview, I was left with questioning the choice of Monitor in my top 5. I was interviewing for one of the international locations and the interviewer left a lot to desire in terms of what a consultant actually does. THe person was unclear in his questions and I have been practicing case interviews for eternity now with success. I got unclear data as in the interviewer himself wasnt sure of data and the question. Overall even though i did come up with an answer, I had a feeling that I was being set up to fail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Monitor Group in June 2009.

Like most consulting companies Monitor uses a heavy case-based interview process. The most interesting dimension is having multiple candidates working collaboratively in a case and presenting together. Since these are likely competitors for the role, exposes interesting insights on candidates.

Interviewers are typically case team leaders, other consultants, and rarely a partner

Interview Questions
    $100k base salary as a 2-year work experienced undergrad.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2009.

1st round: On campus interview that consisted mainly of a case study. Interviewer leaves you in a room with a written case packet containing 4 pages of written material and several pages of graphs. Must answer a quantitative question as well as two qualitative ones. An example case can be found on their website.

2nd round: At the office interview that consisted mainly of a group interview. Four candidates will receive the same packet of information and be given some time to read it. Then everyone gets more data and their own questions to answer. You must present to the entire group of candidates (Monitor employees only watch quietly).

Interview Questions
    • Quantitative and qualitative questions that build off each other.   Answer Question

Consulting Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Monitor Group in February 2008.

Monitor Group is a very prestigious consulting firm, and I felt fortunate even to be allowed the opportunity to interview with them. I was told that the reason I was selected for a first round interview was because of my essay. The interviewer commented that I seemed eager to work specifically for Monitor and not just any consulting firm.

However, as an undergraduate from a state university, I was unprepared for the case interview. I bought, read, and studied "Case in Point," but it just was not enough. A couple of months later, I was back in New York and emailed my interviewer to see if she would be available to have coffee and relate some insight into having more successful interviews in the future. She said that I did great on the "personality/company fit" portion of the interview, but my performance on the case was not sufficient. She said that other interviewees from Wharton had been participating in prep groups for months. I did what I could but just did not have the kind of resources available to maximize my opportunity.

I will say this, though. I've since had many interviews with public accounting firms, and it was worth paying my own way to New York for a first round interview with Monitor just to have the experience. I did not receive an offer, or even a second round interview, but I reach a level of confidence that wouldn't otherwise be warranted.

Interview Questions
    • The character evaluation questions were nothing especially difficult. Just the case. She asked the basics: Name something you have had to overcome during college? What are your strengths? etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Monitor Group in January 2008.

I had a referral from a Managing Director. That put me in line for the first round interview. It was first a little overview interview, followed by a case interview. The second round a few weeks later, consisted of an individual case interview AND a group case interview. After the interview process there was a period of feedback (that I felt was very critical). I left thinking that they didn't like me, but I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Take this packet of information about a hot dog stand business and build a marketing plan and forecast financial performance.   Answer Question
    No negotiation