Monitor Group

Average Difficulty
64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Overall it was a great experience to interview with Monitor Group. People were very nice, polite, and very relaxed, to the point where sometimes it felt like an informal conversation. Monitor really will test how good you can take feedback, and if you can improve upon the feedback received from first round.

FIRST ROUND. 1 hour long. It starts with 15 minutes of going through 2-3 pages of text, and about 5-6 slides in a laminated booklet, and attempt to answer 3-4 questions. After the 15 min are up the interviewer comes in and asks you to walk him/her through your answers to the questions. After the initial 15 minutes I had just finished reading the booklet and started answering the first question, so I got kinda nervous since I did not have good answers to the other questions. First questions is quant, and the other ones are qual. Try to STRUCTURE your approach to every question and be open about the information you are missing and what you would need to answer the question, then the interviewer can help you answer them. The name of the game here is "LET"S SEE HOW YOU THINK (how structured you are), AND WALK ME THROUGH YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS (communication skills, clear, concise). Last 15-20 min of fit/behavioral interview.

After a few days I was contacted for a final interview at their HQ.

FINAL ROUND. Group presentation. About 3 hours long. The name of this game is COOPERATION and TEAM WORK. Get to know the candidates before the interview starts. Give tips, be willing to receive tips. First 30 min everybody gets same laminated booklet of about 16 pages, with a a mix of text and charts (no questions yet). The next 30 minutes everybody gets 1-2 pages of a personalized section of the case, which also contains 3-4 questions that are exclusive to you. Take the time to read, understand, and prepare your presentation. Your section will probably be testing your weaknesses from the first round interview, so make sure you work on the feedback you get from the first round interviewer. After the first hour, everybody has 15 min to present and 3 min to prepare the board and for the team to read your section. Use the whole board, include the team on your analysis. BE A GOOD LEADER. YOU OWN YOUR 15 MIN. DON'T OVERPOWER THE CONVERSATION, BUT DON'T LET OTHERS DOMINATE YOUR PRESENTATION. Last 30 min spent on a one-on-one behavioral/feedback interview/session with a consultant.

Got offer a few days later.

Make sure you go through the case example Monitor has on its site. Know SPECIFICALLY why you want to work with Monitor and not other consulting firm. Monitor is very unique, so it's not that hard to find differences, but make sure you do your homework. And network, network, network.

Interview Questions

• Why Monitor? Why consulting?   Answer Question
  • What are the two things that you are more proud of on your resume? What has been the best experience, and why?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1 hour interview. They give you a case study based off of one the company has actually done and you have one analytical (math) question and two more holistic ones. You get a really crappy elementary school calculator and a lot of information- more than you can process in 15 min. They come back in and ask you to walk through your thinking- I got the sense that it was about whether the numbers were close, but behind that, really whether your methodology was right and how you approached the question. How do you view the market, why do you see this firm as a competitor and this firm as not one? Etc etc.

Interview Question – (After having said the acquisition would be profitable.) Can you give me any arguments against what you just recommended?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted months ago, and asked if I was interested in coming in for an interview. The first interview occurred approximately three weeks ago.

The first interview started with a case interview. I was given ~30 minutes to review a packet of information (text and charts, ~15 pages) and a series of questions about that information. Following that time period, the interviewer returned and asked me to give answers to the questions, explaining my thought process in detail. Some of the questions were quantitative in nature, others were more qualitative. This case interview was then followed up by a 1 on 1 "fit" interview. (e.g. "Why consulting?" "Why Monitor?" etc.)

Approximately a week later, I was invited for a second interview and given detailed feedback from my first interview.

The second interview was a group interview, with approximately five candidates. We each reviewed identical packets of material for 30 minutes. We were then each given an individual packet of material to review for another 30 minutes (each individual had a unique individual packet which was related to the group material). Each candidate was then given ~15 minutes to present their individual material and the questions they were given. They also presented their answers, but solicited feedback from the other members of the group. Cooperation and collaboration is the name of the game for this group interview, not competition!

The group interview was then followed by a one-on-one interview with more "fit" style questions.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in January 2008.

Interview Details – I had a referral from a Managing Director. That put me in line for the first round interview. It was first a little overview interview, followed by a case interview. The second round a few weeks later, consisted of an individual case interview AND a group case interview. After the interview process there was a period of feedback (that I felt was very critical). I left thinking that they didn't like me, but I got the job.

Interview Question – Take this packet of information about a hot dog stand business and build a marketing plan and forecast financial performance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Internship Interview

Internship
Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – First round interview is one hour. You are given a written packet with 15 minutes to read through and answer a few questions. The interviewer then enters the room and questions you on the case. The final half hour is general behavioral and resume questions.

The final round interview day consists of two interviews. The first interview is a group case exercise. You are brought to a conference room with 4 or 5 other prospectives and given a business case to read (30 minutes). Then, each person is given an individual problem to work on (30 minutes). A few interviewers enter the room, and observe each group member takes a turn leading a discussion around their individual problem. The goal of this exercise is to recreate a case team environment. This is followed by a 45 minute break, and an individual feedback interview.

Interview Question – Market sizing question based on case   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's recruiting website, and I got the interview. The interviewers were pleasant enough. The whole process was a bit intimidating since I did not understand the world of consulting or its interviews. The problem with the process was how automated everything seemed; I was just another interviewee in a pool of many interviewees. I don't think the employer got to really know me.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Design Interview

Design
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2010.

Interview Details – I received an e-mail from a recruiter about 2 weeks after submitting my application. We scheduled a time for a phone interview via e-mail. The recruiter asked me to walk her through my whole resume, starting with my education (a challenge since I've been out of school for 10 years!), describing each job I had, my responsibilities, and why I left. Then I was asked why I was interested in that particular position. I asked a few questions about the culture and group I would be working with. I was asked for a salary expectation and unfortunately we were too far apart to proceed further. Seems like a great company and the interviewer was very cordial. All in all the interview probably lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Consultant

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Monitor Group in October 2009.

Interview Details – Methodical. I was extremely excited about interviewing with Monitor group since it was my top 5 consulting choices. however, after the phone interview, I was left with questioning the choice of Monitor in my top 5. I was interviewing for one of the international locations and the interviewer left a lot to desire in terms of what a consultant actually does. THe person was unclear in his questions and I have been practicing case interviews for eternity now with success. I got unclear data as in the interviewer himself wasnt sure of data and the question. Overall even though i did come up with an answer, I had a feeling that I was being set up to fail.

Interview Question – Why monitor? Why this country? case question   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in February 2009.

Interview Details – 1st round: On campus interview that consisted mainly of a case study. Interviewer leaves you in a room with a written case packet containing 4 pages of written material and several pages of graphs. Must answer a quantitative question as well as two qualitative ones. An example case can be found on their website.

2nd round: At the office interview that consisted mainly of a group interview. Four candidates will receive the same packet of information and be given some time to read it. Then everyone gets more data and their own questions to answer. You must present to the entire group of candidates (Monitor employees only watch quietly).

Interview Question – Quantitative and qualitative questions that build off each other.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Monitor Group in January 2007.

Interview Details – Typical case interview, but with printing case materials instead of the traditional oral one. Interviewers appear to be nicer than peer companies, and they didn't turn on the pressure at the interview. Overall, I observe the company culture to be collegial but intellectually challenging during the interview process. Also, the interviews appear to be younger than average.

Interview Question – Market sizing of, say, soft drink   View Answer