Monotype

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Support Specialist Interview

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Monotype.

Interview Details – Went in for interview with Mgr, HR, and IT Staff. Phone interview with director. Answered multiple standard IT questions. Received call-back with offer.

Interview Question – List the FSMO roles in Active Directory   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Woburn, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Monotype in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interview itself was great, everyone was super nice, although obviously hiding some information regarding the departure of the job's predecessor and the true nature of the challenges facing the eventual chosen candidate.

Company is under pressure from well-funded California based Internet competitors, and there have been some recent high-profile departures. The search to find replacement resources seemed stalled.

Feedback was positive at conclusion of interview, but I heard nothing back from them and was compelled to call them to make a inquiry as to the status of my candidacy. Although full of gracious acknowledgement on the phone, I found their lack of communications post interview to be unprofessional.

An interview at Monotype Imaging is likely to waste a significant amount of time, and the likelihood that you will have to harangue their HR department after your interview for feedback is very high.

Overall an unpleasant experience. More care should be taken towards protecting their employment brand.

Interview Question – "So you've been at your present position for nine years, and..."   View Answer

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Lead Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Monotype.

Interview Details – Interview process was very good, I was challenged to solve really good problems. They have major focus on analytical capabilties and problem solving skills. They give you enough time to think over the solution and do not take interview in rush.

Interview Question – What is your most significant achievement?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me good salary so I did not have to negotiate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Monotype.

Interview Details – The entire process got completed in a single day. There were 3 rounds -
Round 1:
The first round was an online MCQ test (3 sections: C,C++ and Aptitude)and the questions were highly conceptual and majority of them wanted to test whether you know if "doing so and so" would cause a runtime error or compile time error or work normally. Answering such questions will be easy if you have been programming for a while. Other questions in this round-
1) parameter passing to the main() function argc and argv.
2) Some class is given say 'Student'.Inside main(){ Student *ptr = NULL; ptr->func();}
So will this give a valid result. More such types of questions in which a NULL is assigned to a variable/ptr and then you need to tell whether a printf on that ptr will show anything etc.
3) The General Aptitude questions were of a good level. Questions like (FORTY+TEN+TEN=SIXTY) then what is the value of O? Some relationship questions were also there. Only 2-3 questions were tough but the rest were easy.

Round 2:
It had 4 programming questions(90 min) and all of them were solvable (for an average to good programmer). One of them was a data structures problem. Although the system was an IDE and tested your code on defined test cases, they also checked the code manually for every possible inputs for all the 29 people who had got into the second round. After this round only 8 people made it to the final round.

Round 3:
Technical Interview Round - Some questions on programming(bit manipulations, printing an array in a spiral way) and some on Logic(measure 9 min using 2 hourglasses of 4 min and 7 min).

The experience was good. The job profile very interesting but I didn't really understand how programming would be put to use in making typefaces.

Interview Question – There wasn't any unexpected or most difficult question.   Answer Question

Worked for Monotype? Contribute to the Community!