Montage Laguna Beach

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Massage Therapist Interview

Massage Therapist

I interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in December 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed at the Montage resorts in Beverly Hills. I applied online and was called within 2 weeks. My first interview was with human resources and I was asked a lot of questions about my previous employment, experiences and what I know about the Montage. I was impressed by the hr woman that interviewed me. She was very friendly and I did well because she calmed my nerves. She also gave me advice for my second interview which was in the spa by one of the managers of the spa. I did well on those 2 interviews. A lot of behavioral type questions and specific's. My 3rd interview I was left unimpressed with. I scheduled with another spa manager for a practical via email. She had forgotten about my interview. I could not do it at another time because I made arrangements for the interview. So she cut my hour practical to a half and asked me a lot of questions during the practical. I left feeling like I was a bother to her. I was being rushed and questioned at the same time during a massage. It was not a good feeling. There is a total of 5 interviews at the Montage. The people are very friendly.

Interview Question – Name a time you turned a negative experience into a positive   View Answer

Rooms Division Interview

Rooms Division

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach.

Interview Details – You will undergo several interviews ending with a full panel interview of executives. I went through the process several times since I worked there for many years and held a few different positions. The panel can be easy or it can be quite stressful. If you are a new hire then most likely you already have the job if you are going to panel. They don't want to waste time putting every last applicant in front of panel. The executives don't have time for that. However, if you act nonchalant, casual. use slang, don't smile, act unprofessional, don't make eye contact, or freeze up during panel then they may not give you the job. Simply give positive answers, smile, and don't ramble, and you'll be fine. Be ready to provide examples of when you overcame a difficult situation, preferably in a customer serve oriented position. They may ask you about how creative you are and what type of volunteer work you do. Give examples. They care more about your personality than your experience. They want people who smile and say "yes" to everything and not ask too many questions. Just be a "yes" person and act like you love everyone no matter what.

Interview Question – Name five positive qualities about yourself and give examples.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Assistant
Laguna Beach, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach.

Interview Details – Phone interview with management of department. He gave a small assignment to test my skills. Retuurned for a 1:1 interview with head of department then was scheduled to attend a panel among 5-6 other managers who asked me questions pertaining to job description.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nail Tech Interview

Nail Tech
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in December 2013.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, 1 on 1 in person intreview

Interview Question – I was asked what I like least about working at my prior job, co-workers etc.   Answer Question

Valet Interview

Valet

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach.

Interview Details – Ridiculous! Took them a while to get make all 5<-- interviews happen.. One guy had 3 in one day, but for me it was a lot longer! The interview process is long and tedious, there is a total of 5 interviews, the last was an 8 person oral board where I was torn apart on my "verbiage" and told not to say "um" the entire rest of the interview. Easier said than done, especially when the GM is prompting you to explain IN DETAIL what being a "team player" really means for a valet - working together, being respectful and trustworthy? A few other things like that, yet he wants MORE about being a team player lol. Cant imagine what the job entails if thats the interview process. The first 4 interviews went great! The last was TERRRRIBLE!

Interview Question – name 3 bad qualities about yourself and why.   Answer Question

Lobby Lounge Server Interview

Lobby Lounge Server
Laguna Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in November 2012.

Interview Details – Was called for a telephone interview with basic questions do gauge friendliness and availability, then scheduled for the in-person interview process. Including the telephone interview, there are five interviews you must go through. Knowledge on wine and spirits is a must! Will be asked to elaborate on sales experience and product knowledge, as well as how to handle the high profile guests that Montage attracts. Selling yourself during these interviews is incredibly important.

Interview Question – Asked the typical question of what I know about the Montage and why I wanted to work for them, which I was prepared for, but they dug into the answer to see how much I really knew.   Answer Question

Concierge Interview

Concierge
Laguna Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in April 2008.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview, make sure you know all kinds of information about the company and what is expected in luxury hotels. Most people go through what they call a "panel." You are interviewed by a bunch of managers in different departments. It can be intimidating if you haven't done something like that before.

Interview Question – They asked me how I would handle a bad situation with a guest.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, I was happy I got a job! But, they were always very flexible with my school hours.

Retail Sales Interview

Retail Sales
Laguna Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in March 2012.

Interview Details – Consisted of an online test of skills and personality, phone interview and then one on one interview. I was surprised by how small the hourly was, but maybe that is because I haven't been in retail for awhile. But we came to an impasse as the Human Resources interviewer was not willing to divulge anything about the commission structure which I felt was the only way for me to be able to determine if I could possibly make enough money.

Interview Question – Name a situation where a customer was irate and how you handled the problem.   View Answer

Valet Associate Interview

Valet Associate
Laguna Beach, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in June 2008.

Interview Details – I was introduced to the hotel GM, VP of HR and other guest services managers. Then I had 1:1 with each that lasted about 15-20 minutes. They all asked similar questions about my background, personality, career goals and guest service experience. They were all serious and professional.

Interview Questions

• Please explain a time when you had to solve a difficult problem   View Answer
  • How do you know that you work well with others?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Given that it's a part-time hourly position the only negotiation was time off and my work availability.

Very Easy Interview

Server Interview

Server
Park City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Montage Laguna Beach in February 2011.

Interview Details – Standard behavioral questioning. "Describe an experience with a previous employer, where you had to resolve a guest complaint and how did you respond to the situation", kind of stuff.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just a ridiculous orientation. Kind of communistic memorization of company mission statements and vision statements and reciting at will to trainer.....creepy.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Montage Laguna Beach? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Montage Laguna Beach interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Montage Laguna Beach employees and interview candidates.