Montclair State

Interviews for Top Jobs at Montclair State

Assistant Director, Cooperative Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Montclair, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Montclair, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Montclair State.

Totally unprofessional interview process.

I was called to interview as an assistant director of cooperative education position; the search committee chairwoman, a biology professor, indicated in the e-mail that there were eight faculty members on the committee, so bring enough copies of your handout. She also said I would be meeting with the Dean of the school, after the interview with the search committee.

So I arrived the usual ten minutes early. Fifteen minutes after the scheduled start time, the secretary escorted me to a conference room down the hall. The committee chairwoman was there, and two other professors. The chairwoman said I would not be meeting with the Dean afterwards. Okay.

They asked me to give the presentation first, so I did that. The director of the career center arrived ten minutes later, after the interview had started. After I finished the presentation a couple of the faculty members asked me a question. The others just sat there in silence. The chair asked me if I had any questions, so I asked a few, and they gave their answers. I smiled and tried to engage with them, but these folks were clearly just going through the motions. Then they thanked me and I left.

I never heard back from them, not even an e-mail stating they had selected a final candidate. I found out months later they gave the job to someone who was already working in another office on campus. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. What’s wrong is wasting the time of the other candidates who had no chance of being hired.

Interview Questions
    • They were just stock questions, nothing unexpected. They weren't very creative or imaginative questions.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montclair, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montclair, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Montclair State in January 2009.

Research presentation, interviews with search committee, dept, chair, college dean and students.

No negotiation.

Payroll Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Montclair State in December 2009.

The interview was very laid back. The most important question was why you wanted the job and what you could do to improve the job.

Interview Questions
    I didn't really have much to negotiate.