Montgomery College

1.7

Teacher Trainer/TESOL Part-time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wheaton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheaton, MD

I applied online - interviewed at Montgomery College.

I applied for this position immediately after completing my coursework in a Masters of Science in Education. I sent an email applying for the position and had an interview the same week. I met with one person who was in charge of curriculum design. I was told that the person scheduled to teach had left to take another position at the last minute. The individual didn't leave a text book curriculum information, a syllabus or any other information. They had just created the program but didn't have anyone who had taken an upper level/Masters course in Teaching Reading to Speakers of Other Languages. I was offered the position and had to start the next week. I was responsible for creating and designing the course around six goals. I spent countless hours preparing for classroom instruction. I loved the challenge. The greatest difficulty was the long commute, creating a curriculum from the ground up, not being paid or receiving a contract until I had been working for six weeks, and never receiving my evaluations. This would be a great job for someone who lived in the vicinity and had an additional income, health insurance and/or spouse with an income. They are a lovely group of people.

Interview Questions
    • Is money important to you, or do you wish you could live in a world without money.   View Answer
    • Have you taken a Masters level, teaching English as a Second Language course? We just created the institute and none of us has.   View Answer
    There was not a negotiation process. I didn't receive any advise from others. I had just completed school and was excited about working. It would have helped to understand what an interview process should or does look like. Additionally, it would have been helpful to be given a contract prior to starting work. Human resources didn't have me in their system until six weeks in to the process. I had to email and call persistently to receive my first pay check.

Student Assistant Interview

The hiring and interview process can be lengthy.

Part Time Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Germantown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Montgomery College in March 2010.

The interview panel consisted of three women. The primary interviewer was the Program Director and would be the new-hire's direct boss. The other two interviewers were the Program Director from the interview site campus and her Program Assistant. There were two main focuses: skills and comfort with being a part-time employee. They wanted a skilled communicator, able to work independently with pre-existing knowledge of standard office software, web design skills and web-based social networking skills. The program is focused on Lifetime Learning and already has a good following in the 60+ year-old demographic, The panel was searching for communication ability, skills and comfort with the 40- to 50-year-old demographic.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if the task you were engaged in was incomplete at the end of your work day?   View Answer

Information Management Specialist Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Montgomery College in February 2010.

Interview Questions
    • Write a Program to find a given number is prime or not? Now optimize this program?   Answer Question

Worked for Montgomery College? Contribute to the Community!