Montgomery County Government - Maryland

Montgomery County Government - Maryland Interview Questions

Updated Dec 28, 2014

2.2

Bus Operator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland.

Interview

Test, then interview , once you complete interview they will call you to schedule physical nd once you complete then you get your cdl permit nd then training , it might take awhile to get through the process be patient

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland.

Interview

Group interview proccess, it was friednly not too many challenging questions , just learn more about who you are. Group wants to make sure you are a team player and are going to be a good fit.

Stream Monitoring Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland.

Interview

The interview was done by two employees. I gave them both my resume. They called back within a week and I interned with them for the whole summer from June - August 2011.

Interview Questions

• I cannot remember the most difficult or unexpected question they asked, but it was one of my first interviews, so I remember how I did not know what to expect at all.   Answer Question

Bus Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland (Rockville, MD) in June 2014.

Interview

First of all, the process of applying for a position with Montgomery County, at least with Ride On (the county bus service) is not a fast one. It is a long process, but from what I saw, they do everything right the first time. I submitted my application via the county's online system on April 1. On April 4, I was notified that my application status was changed to "under review". I mailed a certified copy of my driving record on April 8.

I was invited to come to a testing session on April 29. This session was conducted by the human resources staff in a large lecture hall at a nearby university campus. The testing consisted of three parts. The first part asked that we write a personal statement explaining why we were uniquely qualified for this position. The length of it was unspecified ("in sentence form" was all they said about how to do it), and upon seeking clarification of what they were looking for, found out that they were only looking for a paragraph, which made the statement a lot harder. The second part was a video simulator. There, they played a video that showed the view that one would see on a bus, showing the windshield, both side mirrors, and the passenger mirror. The video would stop at various points to ask what you would do as the driver. The situations related to how the driver would react to traffic and passenger situations while driving the bus, and we were asked to choose how we would react from several provided answers. The third part was another multiple choice video test, with this one's being about dealing with passenger situations. The video, after a segment where a lawyer (or at least an actor pretending to be one) made a condescending and highly misleading speech about test integrity disguised as copyright infringement (no, talking about the test afterwards with your friends is not copyright infringement or otherwise wrong, especially when I never signed a confidentiality agreement), showed different scenarios involving passenger interactions, and then asked at various points what actions we would take to resolve the situation. The questions involved such things as passengers who are unwilling to pay their fare, conflicts between passengers, adherence to a schedule, etc. After the testing session, I was notified my application status was changed to "Eligible List (may be contacted for interview)" on May 6.

I had an in-person interview at the EOB on June 5. This interview was a panel interview, consisting of three Ride On staff members. I was given a copy of the questions that I would be asked when I arrived. The questions were straightforward and quite easy, involving safety, reliability, and a couple of behavioral questions. Ride On never closes for inclement weather, and new operators will be expected to work split shifts, and some of the questions addressed those matters. Beyond the list of questions, they asked if I knew about Ride On's three depots (Silver Spring, Gaithersburg, Nicholson Lane), and which one I would prefer to be assigned to. Otherwise, since I was given the interview questions in advance, there were no "gotcha" questions, and I was able to speak intelligently about these matters right out of the gate, because I had been given a chance to review and think about the questions ahead of time. And that's how it should be, that the interviewee should have a few minutes up front to review the questions, in order to prepare better answers.

After this, I was given a conditional job offer on June 27, and scheduled for a medical exam during the first week of July. This was at a county-operated medical facility in Rockville. The exam consisted of a drug screening (urine), vital signs, hearing test, vision test (using both a chart and a machine), chest x-ray, and hernia examination. The entire process took about an hour.

I received a final offer from Ride On on August 6, for a training class to begin on September 29.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was the personal statement about what made me uniquely qualified for the position.   1 Answer

I declined this offer in order to accept an offer with a larger regional transit agency that offered more potential for advancement in the areas where my interests lie.

Corrections Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland.

Interview

The interview process includes a skilled Test, one-on-one Interview and Probation training at the academy which includes physical and psychological training. Each process was tasking and challenging. The interview also included physical exercise and background check.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland (Gaithersburg, MD) in April 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took almost 5 months. I applied online, was asked to come in for an interview over a month later, and was offered the position 3-4 weeks after that. Then I had to wait over a month for my background check to clear.

Interview Questions

• The Division has days when it is extremely busy and some days when the pace is slower. What would you do on those slow days?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate. The government has very structured salary ranges, and your salary is based upon years of experience (and education).

Budget Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland in September 2011.

Interview

Found and applied for position through County website. After one month of status updates, received email to interview with 3-person panel. Was asked to bring three writing samples, including an Excel spreadsheet to demonstrate budgeting/accounting skills.

Interview questions were scripted and consisted of 9 questions.

1. Describe personal attributes, training, education, or skills for this position.
    2. What do you like best/least about your current job?
    3. How would others (co-workers, friends) describe you?
    4. Describe experience with spreadsheet software (Excel) and databases (Access).
    5. What strategies would you use to handle competing deadlines and working in a stressful environment?
    6. How would you go about evaluating a budget proposal?
    7. Describe public speaking experience.
    8. What type of portfolio would you most prefer to work on?
    9. Do you have any questions that we can answer?

Small, friendly atmosphere...excellent responses to my questions but interview was very scripted with little follow-up questions beyond the script. Advise that you speak as much as possible and provide details about work experience and technical skills.

Interview Questions

• What strategies would you use to handle competing deadlines and working in a stressful environment?   Answer Question

Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Montgomery County Government - Maryland in August 2009.

Interview

Very nice HR contact; panel interview w/ three people; basic questions; very long wait to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Tell us three different instances where you gave outstanding customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate