Moody's

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Moody's in October 2014.

I got the interview from campus recruiting. Most were normal questions.
1. Introduce yourself
2. Why finance
3. Quantitative skills and qualitative skills
4. What to bring to Moody's
5. Behavioral questions

I didn't process to the Super Day. Decision was made in one week.

Other Interview Reviews for Moody's

Associate Analyst III Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Moody's.

1- Tests and interview with a senior associatte. Just went over resume and was asked to explain a few ratios.
    2- Second round. MD + VP interviews, again just over resume. Asked why I would make a good fit. Then HHRR behavioural interview.

The whole process was in english, so if you're not comfortable with it just don't go. Better candidates where thrown away just because they had a not completely fluent english.

Interview Questions
    • Written test is difficult due to lack of time, math test the same and financial test is all about cash flows. Either you know it or you don't.   View Answer
    No negociation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's in August 2014.

Phone interview followed by a call in for a superday. Super day consisted of several 2 on 1 interviews, mostly fit questions. Some technical questions, some basic math skills. Seemed like for the most part they wanted to discern whether you were of average intelligence, and whether you would be a good fit. From what I've heard from others, if you have a technical/quant background, they will ask more tech/quant questions. Otherwise they just want to see whether you would be able to pick that stuff up on the job. Few weeks later I heard back and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What happens to LTV when home prices increase?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. Candidates with >1 year of experience might feel more comfortable/compelled to do so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Moody's.

Initial phone screen, then a superday in their downtown office. Basic set of questions - why are you interested in Moody's, tell me about your internships, etc. Some questions are about past experiences where you exhibited a certain trait (i.e. tell me about a time you led a group).

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage projects with tight or conflicting deadlines?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Moody's.

It's a campus interview. The whole process was pleasant and lasted about half an hour. It's basically about going over your resume, asking you about your experiences, and they may want to know the details about your past experiences. But no behavior questions. I write thanks letters to both of my interviewers but no reply so far.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected question, all are those your should know well about and answer without even a little hesitation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's in May 2013.

High yield credit research. Only one on-side interview in NY office with 2 VPs and 1 Analyst. Scheduled for a second round with London analyst and Hong Kong analyst but was later cancelled. Interview were pretty laid back.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about credit research?
      Have you analyzed high yield debt before? Give me an example.

Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's in December 2011.

Had an initial phone interview with office manager that was behavioral in nature. Was notified very shortly thereafter that I was invited for an in-office interview with the group in New York. Over course of 4 hours or so, interviewed with six people--mostly Vice-Presidents, one Managing Director for the group, and another Associate Analyst. All asked the same general questions--very few functional knowledge-oriented questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in Moody's? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the factors that you would want to consider in rating a security?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Moody's in November 2011.

First Interview was on campus. I had two interviews that lasted about a half hour each. The interviewers were very pleasant and sharp. I made it to the second round, so I had to go to their office in NYC where I was interviewed by 5 different managers. 1 of them was a senior vice president and the other 4 MD's. Again, very nice atmosphere and very nice work place in general.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you get your assumptions from for DCF? Describe the process   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's in October 2011.

Got the interview through Campus Recruiting. First interview was on campus with 2 senior analysts at Moody's. Fairly straightforward interview. No technical questions. Second interview was during Super Day in their NYC office. Interviews were with 4-5 analysts/MDs. Some technical questions were asked (about the Income statement, CF statement, and Balance Sheet). Overall, was more of a discussion than back and forth question answer. Really enjoyed one of my interviews which we discussed what would be the big issues companies as well as citizens would be dealing with 5 years from now (Subscribing to Time Magazine pays off in dividends here). Moody's overall wants you to know your math and be able to calculate fast, but they also appreciate qualitative discussions, something unlike others working in the financial sector I hear.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite company? After you answer, they ask you, "If you were CEO of said company, what would be one thing you would do to improve it"   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Moody's in May 2011.

Mountain out of a molehill, shall I call it. I interviewed with the whole team - another Associate Analyst, 3 VPs, 1 team lead, 1 MD and 1 HR person. There was also an accounting test to top it off. Keep in mind, this was for £36k job with little growth potential (as it turned out later). I was asked questions about the relevant banking system I was applying for, we touched on bank rating methodologies, and more broadly how my previous experience can relate to the job. My only advise is -> read the relevant methodology as the expectations for Associate Analysts are very low and reading this document ahead of the nterview will put you miles ahead of others (after about a year I had a chance to interview there other Associate Analysts so I know what people bring to the table and it is not much).

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would assess credit risks associated with a structured product?   View Answer
    You can negotiate about 10% higher salary, although this will depend on what offer you were given in the first place, as they seem to operate within bounds as per some other salaries submitted on Glassdoor.