Moody's

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Moody's.

Interview Details – Quick, efficient, very general

Interview Question – Name most important performance ratios   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Moody's in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1 hour, 2 interviewers, in campus interview. I was having nice conversation with 2 VPs in Moody's. This position is allocated to the financial and planning group, which is mainly focus on financial statement for Moody's itself. And my major doesn't fit this position so well. Anyway, two interviewers are aboth nice.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult.
Ask current event
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Moody's in December 2010.

Interview Details – I sent my resume online and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later and scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and consisted of skills questions. The next day, i was contacted to come in for a personal interview. Interviewed one on one with three AVP's and one Analyst. The questions were more of the personality variety than the skills. The interviewers were all nice, respectful and answered all my questions about the company and their jobs.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Moody's?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Moody's in September 2009.

Interview Details – HR took forever to get back to me. I had to call repeatedly when they said they would let me know by a certain date and didn't. Eventually they called and I didn't get it, and then they called to have me interview for two other positions. I got one of them and they didn't want me to start for three months. The whole thing was very drawn out and unprofessional on HR's end.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work at Moody's?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Moody's in February 2011.

Interview Details – Several interviews with different members of the team. They were very nice to me and helped me realize my background did not have enough finance in order for me to join there team. Only one of them actually asked me technical question regarding accounting conventions. The rest only had a pleasant conversation with me about my life and so on.

Interview Question – Tell me how you get to Chasflow from Operations departing from Net Income in a Cashflow statement.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Moody's in January 2011.

Interview Details – I got this interview by a Moody's corporate recruiter. She said no phone interview necessary prior to the face-to-face interview. Interviewed by 4 senior analysts, the hiring manager's attitude is weird. In contrast to other 3 senior analysts favorite attitude, he did not show his interest on me by spending time to ask me questions, and stated that he would end earlier because he was in hurry to a meeting. He even asked me whether there is anyone I know in Moodys, I feel that he already had someone in his mind for this position.

The fact is I do not know anyone in Moodys and the conversation between me and the hiring manager was ended 10 mints earlier than the expected 30 mints time frame. Although the whole interview team ended up with highly satisfaction with my qualification and fit, I did not hear from the HR people for 2 weeks.

The interview questions are quite standard, such as:
Tell me sth about yourself, and your last position? Why you think you are a good fit? Why you want to work for Moodys? Why you like credit analysis field?

People there are generally easy to talk, friendly.

Interview Question – why you did you study for your MS.c. Finance degree?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Moody's in May 2010.

Interview Details – Dropped resume without a cover letter on the company's website. Received a phone call from HR 3 weeks later informing that I've been selected for an initial telephone interview. First, interviewed with HR via telephone. At the conclusion of the interview, HR recruiter mentioned that I will have the opportunity to interview with the hiring manager via phone and if all goes well will be asked to interview in-person. Second, interviewed with hiring manager via telephone. Third, interviewed with hiring manager and team members in 1:1 interviews in-person at the office. Fourth, got invited back to interview 1:1 with the hiring manager's boss and to take a writing test. Writing test consisted of writing a one-page summary of a special-comment that the rating agency published. The writing test took approximately 1-hour. None of the interviewers asked any technical questions. Everyone seemed very knowledgeable and hard-working. Sensed that work-life balance is an important aspect at the firm, as one of the team members mentioned that unlike the i-banks long hours are rare and most folks are able to maintain a 9 to 6 schedule. It's important to know your resume well because most of the questions will relate to prior work experience and education. Also, be prepared to clearly state why you would be a good fit for the position and why you are looking to leave your current employer. Folks at the firm came across as good, smart, and ethical. Hiring manager expressed concern and disappointment with the fact that Moody's and all rating analysts (including analysts on the fundamental side) have been portrayed unfairly in the press due to rating actions on mortgage related securities (RMBS/CDOs). Worked two years (2008 to 2010) on the fundamental credit side before applying internally for an analyst position with the ABS team in Structured Finance Group (SFG). Again, interviewed with HR recruiter, hiring manager, team members, and hiring manager's boss. All were 1:1 interviews. Did not face any technical questions. Make sure to do a lot of research on the industry/asset class that you will interview for and prepare questions. Read the rating methodologies on the company's website before the interviews. Most of the SFG interviews centered around questions that I asked regarding current developments and trends. Work culture in SFG is a little different, as most folks work a bit longer typically 9 to 7. People at Moody's are friendly and work areas are in excellent condition (new building at the World Trade Center). Junior analysts with grad degrees receive a private office without windows and senior analysts work in offices with windows.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you instead of the other candidates?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate. Received 10% more in base pay over previous base salary and accepted the offer.

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Moody's in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was a temporary employee with moody's and offered the opportunity to interview internally for a full-time position. This was after having been there only 1.5 months. I met with the person who will be my boss and then the former person in the role i will be filling and the managing director in charge of the department. The interviews very informal as I had prior knowledge of the company and everything i would be doing. I didn't feel much pressure interviewing but it was clear that they wanted to see that I have direct knowledge of the business and I would be able to get up to speed very quickly in a high exposure area.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about moody's CFG?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about your past positions and how those skills pertain to the job you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told by my current supervisor not to negotiate. I am fairly content with the compensation but not necessarily happy with it. But in this climate I am glad to fully employed.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Moody's in November 2009.

Interview Details – My recruiter suggested I go in and speak with the Head of the Group along with some of the team members. The people there are extremely friendly and easy to talk to. They are straightforward and really try to understand how your background fits in with what they are looking for. It was one of the best interviews I had gone on thus far. Even though, in the end, I was too junior for what they were looking for, I don't regret going in as it really helped me understand what there company does and also gave me a good prep for my next interview.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Moody's

Interview Details – Got contacted by HR, met with two analysts in the team

Interview Question – why should we hire you instead of other more experienced candidates?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Moody's

Worked for Moody's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Moody's Associate Analyst interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Moody's employees and interview candidates.