Moody's Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.7

Structured Finance Group Associate Analyst III Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I interviewed through on-campus recruiting, so there was a behavioral two-on-one interview on campus (30 min), and final rounds were held in-office, with 2 back-to-back thirty minute interviews. The first round was very behavioral - just a get-to-know you type of interview with a couple of questions about what the company does and what the role of the specific position is. Final rounds were a little more difficult - I was constantly drilled on how I am a good fit for this specific position and how my skills were quantitative.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what SFG does?   1 Answer
    • What does Moody's do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me why I would want to live in your hometown.   Answer Question
    • What do you think it takes to be successful at Moody's? (and follow up question: how do you have these skills?)   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

First round interview on campus with 2 VPs. Got a call back 2 days later. Next round is super day at their beautiful offices in which I had 5 interviews with 6 people (mostly VPs and above). They called the next day with an offer. The people were not only really nice, but really intelligent as well. The culture seemed to be great and all of the senior management have MBAs or CFAs.

Interview Questions

• You're the lead analyst for a company and you're in a meeting with the CFO and CEO. You can only ask 3 questions. What would you ask?   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

Application

interviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I got the interview from campus recruiting. Most were normal questions.
    1. Introduce yourself
    2. Why finance
    3. Quantitative skills and qualitative skills
    4. What to bring to Moody's
    5. Behavioral questions

I didn't process to the Super Day. Decision was made in one week.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Applying to the position wasn't difficult, the application process was pretty standard. The hiring manager reached out to me directly for the first phone screen. They were very straightforward and clear about what they were looking for and that is always exciting for a candidate. The in person interview was okay; although the interviewers were late. The interview schedule was not clear. After my interview, the hiring manager asked me to call them back and share my experience. I left them messages and emails but never heard back from anybody from the team. I am not sure where the disconnect was, given that the HR team seemed pretty professional, but I am yet to hear from them. Disappointing!

Interview Questions

• Something around supporting the businesses without specific tools around HR.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a call in for a superday. Super day consisted of several 2 on 1 interviews, mostly fit questions. Some technical questions, some basic math skills. Seemed like for the most part they wanted to discern whether you were of average intelligence, and whether you would be a good fit. From what I've heard from others, if you have a technical/quant background, they will ask more tech/quant questions. Otherwise they just want to see whether you would be able to pick that stuff up on the job. Few weeks later I heard back and accepted.

Interview Questions

• What happens to LTV when home prices increase?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Candidates with >1 year of experience might feel more comfortable/compelled to do so.

AVP-Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Telephonic screening and two face to face rounds. After clearing the telephone screen I was asked for a face to face with 5 technical AVP's. Clearing that round I was requested again to again meet with the senior management. 2 Senior VP, 1 VP and then the MD.

Senior Level Role In Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

PROS = Moved quickly - initial phone screening from hiring manager within 2-3 weeks of resume submittal; followed up a few days later with request to interview with 3-4 executives.

CONS = One month later, follow up emails ignored and zero feedback provided - clearly no longer being considered but how about sharing that minor detail with the candidate who carved out time to meet at company's convenience, dress the part and risk current employer suspicion by doing so.

ADVICE = Follow up with candidates in a timely fashion post interview - at least respond to their emails with something.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic text book questions until the industry expertise question - "You do not have experience specific to Credit Analyst's - how would you go about gaining such experience?"   Answer Question

Assistant Vice President - Process Management  Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by an HR representative and told I would be interviewed by a VP by phone. After several attempts to meet (the VP had outlook appt issues), this interview went well. I was then asked to come in the Moody's HQ in the financial district and interviewed by 4 VPs and one HR professional, one person at a time. Each one on one interview lasted 1/2 hr. The last interview was with the HR professional. She would not disclose when they might be making a decision on the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for several examples of how I accomplished an activity listed on my resume. The interviewer also went back pretty far in my work history.   Answer Question

Content Interview

Interview

I applied online and heard from HR very quickly. After their initial phone screening, I had a phone interview with the hiring manger followed by an in-person interview. Then, radio silence. HR didn't respond to a follow-up email and never closed the loop, which I thought showed a lack of professional courtesy.

Interview Questions

• The interview covered approach and process, though not in an overly challenging way.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Moody's (New York, NY).

Interview

Quick, efficient, very general