Morgan Stanley Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.4

Associate Interview

Take resume , do your hw on them. 15 mins early . Be knowlegable about role and ask questions about role. . I got the call from a recruiter saying he was submiting my resume . A week later got an interview . Interview lasted about 40 mins . Questions about past experience and resume

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

On-site interview for a full day with six people one-on-one, about one hour each. For the first five to ten minutes, I was asked some general questions about my resume, after that mostly brain teasers, some finance/options questions and coding questions. People were nice; questions tended to be more difficult than I expected.

Interview Questions
    • Let W(t) be a Brownian motion. Let alpha < 0, beta > 0. What's the probability that beta is hit first.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Met everyone on the team. Technical interview was not so rigorous. Basically got to know the personalities of the team members to see if I was compatible with everyone. This was my third stint at Morgan Stanley, so they had a lot of information from my employee records.

Interview Questions
    • Why didn't you get promoted when you worked for Morgan Stanley in the past?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Associate Interview

Very tough process but fair. One would expect that of a top tier institution such as MS or Goldman. I applied through regular channels and got a call back a few weeks later. Several rounds and very gruling day but made it through with an offer. Glad I did it.

Interview Questions
    • Very technical financial questions that one would find on the chartered financial analyst exams.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

The position was advertised as a Java Senior Developer within the Wealth Management Technology Group.

Quite a long interview process, due to a combination of factors: holiday period (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year) and a new hiring procedure (from what I was told by the hiring manager).
    Started with a 30 minutes phone interview, with technical questions: best OO programming practices, hashmaps, trees, design patterns. Fairly easy, interviewer tested basic Java core knowledge.

Followed up by an on-site interview: three interviews with pairs of programmers from the group, 1 interview with the hiring manager (VP, same one who interviewed me over the phone), and one interview with his manager (ED). First three interviews were technical, with questions covering the Java memory model, the Collections framework, concurrency, servlets, serialization, very basic SQL (find the largest number smaller than the maximum value of a given column), security of web services, and a few Java theoretical questions: what is polymorphism, what is an abstract class. I had to write some code on paper, such as reversing a linked list and finding all the prime numbers smaller than a given integer. The next two interviews were mostly a combination of fit and behavioral questions, as well as going over my resume and talking about my previous work experience.

About three weeks later I was called in again for what I was told would be the final interview, with the MD of the group. Again, mostly fit/behavioral questions, with a few somewhat technical ones (where would you put comments in your code, how do you test your code).

About ten days later I was called in for yet another interview, with an ED from another group. It was a 30-minutes interview, mostly the "tell me about yourself" type.

I was told that I would have to come in for another interview, early next year (all these interviews took place from early November to late December 2013). However, there were all kinds of scheduling conflicts with the ED that was supposed to interview me, so this last interview was eventually cancelled.

I received the offer in February, more than three months after my initial phone interview.

Overall, it was a good experience, all the people I talked with seemed really smart, and very professional.

Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2013.

Interviewed with four individuals. Questions based on experience and qualifications. Office was very clean. hR was great and very responsive. Each interviewer was able to provide unique feedback on their experience at the firm to help provide a better understanding of the work environment

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions--- strongest / weakest qualities and why   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Several rounds of interviews. Not direct on whether there is or is not a position available. They like when you do the talking rather then them talking the entire time.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know the steps on how to value a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2010.

selection for the summer internship based on raw smarts and team-fit -- offers are rarely made outside the summer internship program

Interview Questions
    • Why did you go to business school if you wanted to stay in the field   Answer Question
    There's limited room for negotiation, negotiating which team you work for is more common than negotiating salaries or titles

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

I applied online and received a call after 1 week for 3 person phone interview lasting 90 mins. Heard next day that they wanted me for onsite interview, interviewed with 5 people, 2 Associates, 1 Analyst, 1 VP and ED. Very professional people. I learned a lot about the company/culture from the interview process.

Interview Questions
    I was low balled, could have done better,

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

It was a long process. I had 3 rounds of interviews. In the first round I met one person, then in the 2nd round 6 and finally in the 3rd round I met 3 people. That makes it 10 individuals individually for 30 min each. I am yet to receive a final response.