Morgan Stanley Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.5

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

Very tough process but fair. One would expect that of a top tier institution such as MS or Goldman. I applied through regular channels and got a call back a few weeks later. Several rounds and very gruling day but made it through with an offer. Glad I did it.

Interview Questions
  • Very technical financial questions that one would find on the chartered financial analyst exams.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Warren, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

The position was advertised as a Java Senior Developer within the Wealth Management Technology Group.

Quite a long interview process, due to a combination of factors: holiday period (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year) and a new hiring procedure (from what I was told by the hiring manager).
    Started with a 30 minutes phone interview, with technical questions: best OO programming practices, hashmaps, trees, design patterns. Fairly easy, interviewer tested basic Java core knowledge.

Followed up by an on-site interview: three interviews with pairs of programmers from the group, 1 interview with the hiring manager (VP, same one who interviewed me over the phone), and one interview with his manager (ED). First three interviews were technical, with questions covering the Java memory model, the Collections framework, concurrency, servlets, serialization, very basic SQL (find the largest number smaller than the maximum value of a given column), security of web services, and a few Java theoretical questions: what is polymorphism, what is an abstract class. I had to write some code on paper, such as reversing a linked list and finding all the prime numbers smaller than a given integer. The next two interviews were mostly a combination of fit and behavioral questions, as well as going over my resume and talking about my previous work experience.

About three weeks later I was called in again for what I was told would be the final interview, with the MD of the group. Again, mostly fit/behavioral questions, with a few somewhat technical ones (where would you put comments in your code, how do you test your code).

About ten days later I was called in for yet another interview, with an ED from another group. It was a 30-minutes interview, mostly the "tell me about yourself" type.

I was told that I would have to come in for another interview, early next year (all these interviews took place from early November to late December 2013). However, there were all kinds of scheduling conflicts with the ED that was supposed to interview me, so this last interview was eventually cancelled.

I received the offer in February, more than three months after my initial phone interview.

Overall, it was a good experience, all the people I talked with seemed really smart, and very professional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Several rounds of interviews. Not direct on whether there is or is not a position available. They like when you do the talking rather then them talking the entire time.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know the steps on how to value a company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2010.

selection for the summer internship based on raw smarts and team-fit -- offers are rarely made outside the summer internship program

Interview Questions
    • Why did you go to business school if you wanted to stay in the field   Answer Question
    There's limited room for negotiation, negotiating which team you work for is more common than negotiating salaries or titles

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

I applied online and received a call after 1 week for 3 person phone interview lasting 90 mins. Heard next day that they wanted me for onsite interview, interviewed with 5 people, 2 Associates, 1 Analyst, 1 VP and ED. Very professional people. I learned a lot about the company/culture from the interview process.

Interview Questions
    I was low balled, could have done better,

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

It was a long process. I had 3 rounds of interviews. In the first round I met one person, then in the 2nd round 6 and finally in the 3rd round I met 3 people. That makes it 10 individuals individually for 30 min each. I am yet to receive a final response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in May 2010.

Long interview process emcompassing 14 different interviews so far, starting with phone screening, 11 face-to-face interviews, 1 phone interview with manager in London, and 1 final interview with Human Resources. Interviews tended to be technical, with many skills tests including programming exercises, financial questions, and multiple "brain-teasers" testing problem-solving skills. Interviews were mostly with the group in which I'd be working as well as with a few individuals in related groups. There was also some personality screening. Tough interviews in general.

Interview Questions
    • How could graph algorithms be used to test whether there are arbitrage opportunities within the currency markets?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2010.

Two initial phone calls with HR, then two separate phone interviews first with one person, then two in succession. Then there was one in person interview with the hiring manager and other managers taking turns, with a coding exercise, and finally a second in person personality type interview with HR to figure out if you would be a good fit in the organization, how much you want the job and try to figure out your salary requirements.

Interview Questions
    Couldn't negotiate, very tough negotiators

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2009.

Took about a week to arrange the phone interview. The interviewer cancelled it 30 minutes before the interview. I made an effort to reschedule the interview. Interview itself was very short, only like 10-15 minutes. No questions beyond "take me through your resume." From that it was about a week and a half until I received feedback. Feedback was especially rude, condescending, and inappropriate. Did not seem to cover the few points made during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2009.

-interviewed at 1585 Broadway trading floor
    -was interviewed by 3 people
    -all were trading professionals, no human resources
    -took about 45 mins each consisting of market related questions on situations

Interview Questions
    • -why London?
      -are you wllling to commit X number of years?
        Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!