Morgan Stanley Communications Manager Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in May 2013.

Applied online and also asked a contact in the company to share my resume with the hiring manager. He did, and I got a call from the hiring manager the next day. Completed a phone interview and was asked to come in for an in-person interview.

In-person was with two people; hiring manager and one of her peers. The hiring manager asked straight-forward, traditional interview questions. For example, she asked me to describe top accomplishments from each of my previous positions. The interview with her peer was odd. It was a series of personality questions (e.g., What's your favorite movie and why, What would be your ideal vacation, etc.), though there were some job-related, behavioral questions, such as "Tell me about a time you had to present and something went wrong," or "Tell me about a time you had to deliver bad news to a colleague and how you handled it." Each of these interviews lasted for one hour.

I recommend that anyone scheduled to interview at Morgan Stanley to Google "behavioral questions and answers" in order to prepare for the type of questions that may come his or her way. Not all MS interviewers may apply this interviewing technique, but in case they do, the interviewee can be prepared. Such questions can throw one off if they're not expected and there are specific ways to answer "what's your favorite color" or "If you were an animal, what you be?" that can make or break a candidacy.

I was called back for a second interview with the hiring manager's direct reports and boss. Because of travel schedules, the interviews were scheduled for 3 weeks later. Each of these interviews were done in one day and about one hour each. All asked traditional interview questions.

Two weeks later, I received an offer. However, the offer was for substantially less money than what I was looking for. The hiring manager indicated that it would be difficult to get more money, but would try. In the meantime, I received a job offer from a competitor for a comparable position - and at the salary I required. I let the MS hiring manager know and she asked for a few days to try and get the addl' budget in order to match the offer. She was unable to and I accepted the competitor's offer. (Side note: In the end, I'm glad I did - the job I accepted is proving to be a fantastic fit for me.)

Overall, everyone I spoke to at Morgan Stanley was welcoming and friendly. I enjoyed meeting them and could tell that the team I was interviewing with was top-performing and highly professional. Their dedication and passion was impressive and I know I would have enjoyed working with them. It was a bit shocking that their offer was so low-ball compared to competitors, including the job offer I accepted, the salaries offered by the employer I was with at the time and the salary ranges of positions at other companies I had been interviewing with. On average, the MS offer was 20% less than similar positions at other companies.

Interview Questions
  • Except for the "behavioral interview questions," most were traditional interview questions. (e.g., Tell me about yourself, Why MS, Why are you leaving your current employer, etc.). I reiterate that applicants should research "behavioral interview questions" prior to interviewing so as not to be blindsided by questions such as "what's your favorite movie." The method to the madness is to help ensure a candidate is a good personality fit for the overall team. While there may not be right or wrong answers to them, they still need to be carefully answered, so be prepared.   Answer Question

Salary averaged about 20% less than comparable positions with competitors.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!