Morgan Stanley Credit Risk Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

OCI interview with the VP of the lending team. Asked behavioral questions, mostly stemmed from the resume. Nothing surprising, easy to prepare. The interviewer was nice. He asked accounting questions, such as describe the relationship between the three statements; how can accounting be used in credit risk analysis. Business school students should be fine.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Credit Risk Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

First round on campus w/ 2 VPs, very qualitative with one basic accounting question since I don't have a finance background. Final round was a pre-interview networking reception the night before where you get to speak to your interviewers (very important to make a good/sociable impression) and a superday of one group activity + 3 one-on-one interviews. No technicals but I heard it really depends on the interviewers you get/your background since other candidates were asked some difficult accounting/finance questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you felt like you were "slipping through the cracks" and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

First round interview with two people on-site. Only about 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral with one or two basic technical questions. They are friendly and not out to trick you or make you feel uncomfortable. Second round is also on site. There is a networking session the night before and then the actual second round the next day. It is set up as 3 much quicker one-on-one interviews. They are about 10-15 minutes each. Only one person asked a non-behavioral question and it was literally: "if MS was working with an individual, not a company, what would we look at to determine their level of credit risk." Not a hard question. Everything else was: introduce your self, talk about your resume/ pitch your story, and then questions, but really fewer questions and more of a flowing conversation. At this point they just want to know if they like you.

Interview Questions

• An airline company is replacing their entire fleet of planes. The old planes have zero salvage value and there is no depreciation to deal with. Explain the effect on the the company's financial statements.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since the terms were on-par with the industry average.

Credit Risk Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Went to an Asia-info session in London, encouraged to apply for positions in HK, SG. Got selected for 1st/2nd round telephone interviews with senior analyst + VP. Got into 3rd round phone interview with ED; 1 week later final round at MS in Canary Wharf, video conference with MD. Received offer by telephone one week later.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. Why do you want to work in Credit Risk? Explain quantitative easing and effects on markets Options/ Black Scholes model Walk me through the 3 Statement Model Aircraft leasing (effect on balance sheet/CFS) vs. purchasing an aircraft as an asset.   Answer Question