Morgan Stanley

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – Three part interview. Phone screening. Bring you in for mutliple interviews. Will keep you waiting on decision, especially if you are a more low level candiate that does not have many other options. Team diagnostic exercises. Meetings can be abrupt. Do not expect to easily lock this down.

Interview Question – What was a time you failed?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2012.

Interview Details – I participated in recruitment while I was abroad for my entire Junior year. I received a first round interview after I emailed a recruiter explaining why I wanted to pursue an internship with Equity Research and specifically Morgan Stanley. I had a first round interview, which was followed up with a Superday interview with 4 employees and managers in the NYC offices over winter break. Afterwards, I received an offer which I accepted.

Interview Question – If you had $100,000, would you invest it short term into the stock market or keep it in cash? (Asked right after the fiscal cliff legislation was passed)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told me the day after my final round interview that they wanted to wait and see the other candidates before making an official decision (due in Feb). Shortly afterwards I received an internship offer with McKinsey & Company. I notified Morgan Stanley and they immediately turned around with an offer, which I accepted.

Durham, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2012.

Interview Details – -Walked through resume
-Stock pitch
-Asked questions about the internship

Interview Questions

• When the discount rate is lowered in a DCF model, what happens to NPV?   View Answer
  • Talk to us about any financial competitions you have participated in?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2012.

Interview Details – Question: pitch a stock? what do you do in your spare time? Discounted Cash Flows?

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2008.

Interview Details – Started with phone interview with HR, then multiple rounds (like an absurd amount) of in person interviews with my analyst and other members of the equity research team. As a skills test, i was sent a model with some values messed up or missing and i had to fix it and return it in 30 mins.

Interview Question – The skills test.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2010.

Interview Details – There were two 30 minute interviews on the phone. Both employees were very kind and accommodating and asking mainly behavioral questions. Only one accounting question that kind of threw me for a loop. I haven't heard back if I've made it to the next round.

Interview Question – If depreciation increases, what happens to the financial statements?   View Answer

Equity Research Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening and then in person interviews with 4 analysts

Interview Question – How many trips are made on the London underground every day.   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2009.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone screening consisting mostly of walking through my resume and behavioral questions. I was then asked to come in and meet the Managing Director of the group which was later followed up with me coming in and meeting with the team. End result was that they were looking for someone with more experience.

Interview Question – How would you research and analyze the impact of the Palm Pre on the marketplace?   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!