Morgan Stanley Equity Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through school and was interviewed by school recruiting team. Mostly behavioral and only asked some experiences on the resume. Highly depends on the interviewers since I've known them for a long time. Prepared for a stock pitch but was not asked but still highly recommend preparing a long and a short.. as well as several stocks you know pretty well..

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Got interview invitation through campus recruiting. Had 30 minute on campus interview. There were questions : why Morgan Stanley, why equity research, walk me through your resume, pitch me a stock, current market news, lots of specific questions about valuation. What's you weakness,what was your biggest failure? What's your goal in life? Good experience in overall. I had a great interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Lots of technical questions about valuation of companies   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

It was pretty formal. Went through 4 rounds of interview. Due to restructuring, the process took much longer than anticipated. Questions were relatively straightforward. The most important thing is to get along with the hiring manager. If he/she has a good impression, you may at least get to the final round.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Interview

Three part interview. Phone screening. Bring you in for mutliple interviews. Will keep you waiting on decision, especially if you are a more low level candiate that does not have many other options. Team diagnostic exercises. Meetings can be abrupt. Do not expect to easily lock this down.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

I participated in recruitment while I was abroad for my entire Junior year. I received a first round interview after I emailed a recruiter explaining why I wanted to pursue an internship with Equity Research and specifically Morgan Stanley. I had a first round interview, which was followed up with a Superday interview with 4 employees and managers in the NYC offices over winter break. Afterwards, I received an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• If you had $100,000, would you invest it short term into the stock market or keep it in cash? (Asked right after the fiscal cliff legislation was passed)   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me the day after my final round interview that they wanted to wait and see the other candidates before making an official decision (due in Feb). Shortly afterwards I received an internship offer with McKinsey & Company. I notified Morgan Stanley and they immediately turned around with an offer, which I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

Question: pitch a stock? what do you do in your spare time? Discounted Cash Flows?

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Durham, NC) in January 2012.

Interview

-Walked through resume -Stock pitch -Asked questions about the internship

Interview Questions

• When the discount rate is lowered in a DCF model, what happens to NPV?   1 Answer
    • Talk to us about any financial competitions you have participated in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

Started with phone interview with HR, then multiple rounds (like an absurd amount) of in person interviews with my analyst and other members of the equity research team. As a skills test, i was sent a model with some values messed up or missing and i had to fix it and return it in 30 mins.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2010.

Interview

There were two 30 minute interviews on the phone. Both employees were very kind and accommodating and asking mainly behavioral questions. Only one accounting question that kind of threw me for a loop. I haven't heard back if I've made it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• If depreciation increases, what happens to the financial statements?   1 Answer

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

Interview

Initial phone screening and then in person interviews with 4 analysts

Interview Questions

• How many trips are made on the London underground every day.   Answer Question