Morgan Stanley Finance Analyst Interview Questions

Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

The process took about a month. First round interviews were very basic; almost all of the questions were behavioral or fit -- tell me about yourself, what do you know about Morgan Stanley, why do you want to intern in this division, etc. After first round interviews, they ask you back for their super day in one of their Manhattan offices. The super day lasted roughly around 3 hours, the first half was a group project and the interviewers examine how you work/behave within a group, the second half was composed of 3 (1-on-1) interviews with Seniors Execs. Each interviewer focused on either behavioral, fit, or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Examine an Excel spreadsheet and suggest how you would organize the same data to make it easier to understand/ visually pleasing   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

Interview

Applied through On Campus Recruitment and got the first round interview which took place on campus. First round interview was one on one 30 mins interview with basically all behavioral questions. Then got the super day interview, which took place at Morgan Stanley. Superday is typically 3 to 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• Definitely have some basic knowledge of Excel, the more the better. Not many technical questions and they really want to see if you can work in team well. Need very good answers on why Morgan Stanley and why Finance, because they know a lot of people go to Finance because they cannot get an IB summer internship. Be ready to be creative, be a team player, and be ready to talk about your interests.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Starting from resume, 1 on 1 30 minutes interview. All of them are fit questions. First, went through my resume about 10 minutes and 10 minutes to ask about team work questions and 10 miniutes for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with the situation in which you had a conflict with your team member?   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Interview

Was selected for an on campus interview for their Finance Internship Program. The interviewer was very nice and conversational, seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Pretty much only fit questions/nothing technical. Unfortunately didn't get the second round.

Finance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

2 rounds. First round on campus, second round in the NYC office.
    Meet and Greet on campus the night before the interview. 2 professionals and 1 intern attended. Approx. 20 students present.
    1 on 1 30-min behavioral interview with a VP
    Heard back roughly a week after the first interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

The first round interview was held on campus and consisted of a 1:1 30 mintute interview. It started out with me walking the recruiter through my resume. He then asked some behavioral questions such as, "tell me about a situation where you found yourself working in a group that was heading in the wrong direction, how it was changed, and what you got out of it." He also asked which group within finance I would like to work for if I had the choice. I got a second round interview out of it, which I have yet to complete, which is at their office in NY.

Interview Questions

• What technical skills have you learned in your classes that you could bring to an internship with us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I applied through the university. First round interview was one on one, and consisted of behavioral and technical (accounting) questions. They flew me out to NYC a couple weeks later, and had a group activity, in which interviewers observed our interactions with each other, and then 3 one on one interviews. They were mostly fit questions, with a focus on the markets and my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you were in a group and the project was almost going to fail?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Phone Interview with pure mathematical questions. And the interviewer asked me something about personal trading, like which ticker I have traded. Difficulty of math questions vary from easy to extremely hard, one of which took me nearly 2 weeks to find the answer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Assume B (t) is a standard brown motion, which possible positive integer n, satisfied the condition that B (t) ^n would be a martingale?   1 Answer
    • 2. The current stock price is 10, and it has a probability of 60% to rise to 12, or 40% to drop to 8 at the end of this year? Assume the risk-free rate is 0, what will be the fair at the money call option price?   1 Answer
    • 3. Stock A has a volatility of 20%, B has a volatility of 30%, and their correlation coefficient is 50%. They have the same expect returns. Suppose we can buy x share of A, and 1-x share of B. Then what the x should be for us to invest to make our portfolio has the minimum volatility?   1 Answer

Finance Analyst Interview

Interview

It was 30 mins interview with the HR.
    Q) How do you rate yourself in C++?
    Q) Write a C++ program to recursively find the factorial of a function
    Q) Write a C++ program to removes spaces in a sentence
    Q) Write are trees and its types?
    Q) There was a tree diagram and questions about successor.

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview was competency based with some general business awareness questions like, what regulatory bodies do you think morgan stanley have to answer to and why is regulation required.

Assessment day was very relaxed, did group exercise first. Give information to share with rest of group and discuss and come to a decision within 45mins. This was followed by two 2v1 interviews. These were largely competency based, very similar to the telephone interview with a few more personal questions on cv, and why morgan stanley, why finance, etc.

Interview Questions

• You're degree isn't really relevant (Maths and Economics?!!!) , tell me what motivated you to apply to this particular role.   Answer Question