Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2014

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2013.

Telephone interview with general questions about what my experience etc. then an extensive online test. The test was not what I expected and was kind of confusing. I was called for an interview so I must have passed the test. In the interview I was asked general interview questions and I was given a week to write a business plan. In the final interview we talked about the business plan and that if I have friends who can sign up with me. I realized that I don't have that many....so I said good bye.

Interview Questions
  • On average how much your family or friends would invest?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

I applied for the training program because my friend had been hired and they were looking to add people to the training program. Even with a recommendation from my friend, it was a slow and painful process. The interviews were very easy but completing all the paperwork and getting the requied background checks took 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • Their were none. The asked why you wanted to be a Financial Advisor? Could you work long hours? Are you confident you could pass the Series 7, 66 and obtain your Life Insurance License in a specif time-frame.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2013.

easy interview, 1 month process, 1 phone interview, if you pass you have to send your project for business plan, and then the final interview,

real easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vero Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vero Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First interview is meet and greet with branch manager. 2nd interview is a panel interview with 2 other advisors. last interview is with the complex business development manager or the complex manager. be prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2011.

recruited over from another wirehouse. you will be asked to create a business plan and have a list of over 1000 numbers you plan to call. Don't be suprised if takes months after an initial interview to finally get hired. No one at Morgan Stanley is in any hurry. Be prepared to talk about all the rich people you know.

Interview Questions
    They were willing to match my previous salary from another wirehouse.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

I completed a series of online assessments and questions. I was invited to a luncheon and then, I was asked to complete a business plan. This lead to an in-person interview with one of the most conceited, ill-informed "managers" I've ever meet. He kept telling that he fired people regularly. He could not stop mentioning that when they joined the firm no one had done the amount of business that they had prior. He asked me to adjust a small part of my business plan.

Interview Questions
    • After reading my business plan while I sat there, They asked me the name of a well-known organization that I am a part of. I just used the groups acronym. It is a group that people in his position are normally very familiar with. When I realized that he did not know who they were, I fought back the urge to ask if he was serious.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Met with branch manager and regional manager for a fit interview. About one month later, went through a formal interview. I was then sent a link for 2 online exams--one quantitative (designed to gauge ability to pass Series 7) and one logic-based exam. Two weeks later, I was asked to complete a business plan detailing who I planned on targeting to bring in assets and how I planned to go about it. A month later, I was called back to go over my business plan and was given a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why should people trust your with their money?
      What are you going to do when your list of contacts runs out?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Went to a seminar where one of the managers spoke about how hard it was to get a job at Morgan Stanley. I applied and had 4 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • After having an interview with the sales manager, she wanted me to email her a business plan within 2 days.   Answer Question
    not much negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2009.

brief review of my resume, not very detailed information in return

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2008.

The first part is an online questionnaire that you complete to show your aptitude towards this career path. Then the 1:1 interview with the Branch Manager. This BM was very detailed on his descriptions on what to expect which I appreciated. Answered all my questions, and came off positive towards his own career with the company. This branch seemed very close knit, and approachable to other co-workers. Doesn't have the giant bank-disconcerting feel to it, more welcoming here.

Advice:
    Be well prepared to answer questions about your background and what you plan to do with your future.

Interview Questions
    • From your previous job, give an example of a time when something went not as expected and you helped make it work out.   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 20 years?   Answer Question
    • Where are your potential leads coming from once you reach production?   Answer Question
    They made an offer that was slightly lower than I wanted, I counter offered, and they accepted it on the spot. Of course I made a slightly lower push only because I really wanted to gain a footing into this new career path even with the lower pay.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!