Morgan Stanley

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fund Services Summer Analyst Interview

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details – Online testing, surprise short telephone interview, scheduled long telephone interview, assessment centre consisting of two interviews and a group exercise.

Interview Question – Describe a time you found a weakness in something and improved it.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2014.

Interview Details – cv, covering letter and 4 application questions followed by 3 online tests,. then a telephone interview followed by an assessment centre (2x 45 mins interview & group task)

Interview Question – who are our regulators   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2013.

Interview Details – Single Interview, Panel consist of 2 people- mostly Associates/Directors, lasts 45 mins- 1 hr, Standard questions- Tell me about yourself,about your previous roles, Why did you apply for this role? Why Morgan Stanley?
Competency based questions like Team work, Analysed data, influenced, communication handled complex situation, difficult person, prioritization- met deadlines, strength, weakness etc. Need to answers with examples. Some specific questions based on our examples could be asked.
Dress formally, Arrive in time, communicate clearly and effectively.

Interview Question – No difficult questions asked, standard set of competency questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – It was a general process. It included two telephone interview then a technical phone interview. After these I went to the Assessment Centre where I had one personal, two technical interviews and the and of the process wast he group exercise.

Generally it was quite friendly, so if you get the AC I am sure you will enjoy it and you can learn a lot of things from this stages.

Interview Question – During the technical interview you will get harder and harder questions so I am sure you will get your own "difficult question" .   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process for Morgan Stanley Glasgow Operations Analyst is as follows. Online application, followed by online tests including a numerical test, a verbal test, and a quick 2 minute same/different test. If you score well on those, you will move on to a phone screening. During this you will be asked why the company and why the role. I was asked what my salary expectations were and after I told the lady, she immediately said that the job pays significantly less than the $75k that I was looking for. She asked if I wanted to continue and I said absolutely. She then scheduled for me a phone interview for 2 days later. That interview consisted of about 4 questions, and I was asked to use the STAR method to answer them. Appx 1 week later I was called and told that I did a very good job and impressed the operations person that I spoke to. We then scheduled an assessment center date for around 2-3 weeks later.

The assessment center consisted of 2, 45 minute interviews and 1 group project. 6 people were applying for the same position during my assessment center day, and we had our 2 interviews first. Before the interviews commenced, we were given a presentation by HR, and we had a tour of the 2 buildings. We were shown the gym, lunch cafe and some office space.

The 2, 45 minute interviews went rather well (so I thought). I was asked less than 8 questions in each and I was told that I can use the same examples for both interviews, and that I was able to take a minute or 2 to gather my thoughts before I started answering any question. 2 upper level managers were performing both interviews. They had preset questions to ask and they were not allowed to stray from them, so don't be worried about that. If your answer isn't detailed enough, they will ask for some clarification. Overall the 4 people I talked to for the 2 interviews were very nice and polite. I joked around with them and made sure to ask many questions about the company during the process.

Then as I moved to the group exercise, there was a brief (15 minute) networking session with other members of the staff. All/most of the employees that did the interviewing were present for this and I made sure to talk to some new ones. I spoke with 2 additional employees. They were friendly but didn't seem overly interested in me, as they just talked about the firm and didn't ask me any questions.

Then I went on to the group exercise, which consisted of a case study. We were all given departmental roles and had some budget items to try and get passed. We had around 30-40 minutes to do this and we had to select someone to check the time. There was a small presentation afterwards and we were asked questions by the 3 people who were watching us.

After that, we had pictures of us taken for HR purposes and given back our passports. I was starving at the end of it and left feeling relieved that it was over.

Interview Question – They asked me if I could tell them about a policy that I followed even though I disagreed with it.   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had two competency based telephone interviews and then AC. In the assessment day we were two teams of 6 each, with 2 guys already working for MS as temps. From what I know both were successful and got positions in scheme.

Interview Question – Have you ever trained anyone?   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial online tests.

Numerical - 20 questions 15 minutes. Graphs and charts with several questions on each calculating percentage increase/decreases etc. I answered 18 which I was confident of 16 and 2 I was fairly sure I was right.

Verbal - 20 questions 15 minutes. Several passages with questions on understanding each. I answered 17 of which 15 I was confident and 2 again I was fairly sure I was right.

Accuracy test - 40 questions 2 minutes in which I was to compare 2 number sets (eg 9009-9669 : 9009-6996) and state same or different. I answered 24 of which all I was confident.

Phone interview.

Formal competency interview 40 minutes. I was asked 4 standard competency questions and after each I was read back my answer an allowed to clarify on or elaborate further.

Tell us of a time you were presented with wrong information and questioned it.

Assessment centre

2 * 2 on 1 competency interviews

1 situational group assessment.

Negotiation Details – A flat rate is offered for the graduate programme.

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – 3 stage process. First an informal phone call acting as a screener with questions about cv, job profile and company. Followed by a 30-45 min phone interview and Assessment Centre consisting of two interviews (the second more tricky than the first one) and a group exercise with a presentation.
The questions focused mostly on competencies, teamwork, leadership, difficult situation etc.
Knowing the job description, the expected daily tasks and company profile important too..

Interview Question – Asked to tell them a bout a time when I had to take a risk...   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2012.

Interview Details – 3 stage process, first an informal phone call acting as a screener with questions about cv, job profile and company. followed by a 30 min phone interview and assessment centre consisting of two interviews and a group exercise.
knowing the job description, the expected daily tasks and company profile important too..

Interview Question – asked to tell them a bout a time i made a mistake... had to come with something as to what i learnt from the mistake etc. so as to show a positive aspect   Answer Question

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial online application including online test. Kenexa tests used, always good to practise before completing the real test.

Next Stage was a telephone interview. 30 minutes long, basic competency based questions based on team work as well as questions about your knowledge of MS and the office. One Additional curve ball question was related to regulation and here I was asked to name regulatory agencies MS works with as well as the main benefits of regulation to society.

The next stage was an assessment centre in the Glasgow Office where I took part in a team based exercise and two interviews. The exercise involved working with another 6 as consultants working to assess a situation in a given company and how the problem might be solved. It lasted around 45 minutes and we all presented on our conclusion at the end. Manager sat all around us and assessed how well we worked as a team.

The Two interviews were all competency based. No technical questions. 40-45 minutes long each interview. Be prepared to answer questions about how well you dealt with team conflicts, failing to achieve something and new challenges.

The Glasgow office is a particularly friendly office. HR team deal with each candidate individually as opposed to a computer system. Well organised selection process.
Managers are very accessible and friendly too.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard competency based questions. However good to be aware of how regulation impacts the financial system and society as a whole.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the initial salary I was offered. I was asked if I was happy enough with offered salary.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley interview questions and advice in Glasgow, Scotland. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees and interview candidates.