Morgan Stanley Interview Questions in Glasgow, Scotland

Updated Apr 30, 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

One hour interview via the phone.
    Two guys on the company side: one leading the interview, the other one mostly listening.
    The whole conversation was led in a professional and friendly atmosphere.
    First overview of the company, department and job I applied for.
    Then I had to introduce myself, describe my previous roles and projects.
    The last part was a set of scenario-based questions from Java and Linux areas.
    Nothing extraordinary, but you have to be prepared to dive deep into the solution details.

Interview Questions

• Write a producer-consumer in Java by using low-level thread API   Answer Question
    • Something about storing unique items in map/collections. Which is better for given scenario, why, what is equals/hashCode?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied via a recruitment agency and i was aked for just an interview. nothing much, just typical behavioural questions, where do you see yourself in 5 years, what was the most difficult academic achievement, tell me a time when you had to work as a team etc

Negotiation

no negotiaton

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Simple interview with 1 line manager and a team leader
    Mostly competency based no technical questions
    About 50 to 60 minutes long
    Mostly aiming to understand whether you are a teamplayer and how you react in different scenarios within a team
    Also aiming to understand whether they will like you as a person
    Managers very nice and friendly but very professional too

Interview Questions

• Asked about myself, what i know about Morgan Stanley
      Competency questions, how have i reacted to someone who created problems within my team etc pretty straightforward

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation - fixed salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Assessment centre in Glasgow - two 45 minutes competency questions interviews and group work which was a business case debate

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult - the phone interview had an interesting one though: explain a complicated concept in simple words   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

cv, covering letter and 4 application questions followed by 3 online tests,. then a telephone interview followed by an assessment centre (2x 45 mins interview & group task)

Operations Analyst, Glasgow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and did well in the online test as well as the first and second telephone Interviews. I was then Invited to the Assessment Center which was scheduled for the 29th of January. Prior to this, I was advised to do an in-depth research on Morgan Stanley, the role which I was applying for ( Operations Analyst summer Internship) and most importantly, the group questions. It is absolutely important to practice the group questions they provide you with prior attending the AC. When I arrived, my photo was taken and immediately, a group of us were briefed on how the day was going to plan out. We were all given a tour of the gym, the cafeteria and other parts of the building. Immediately after. we were then divided into two equal groups of six. the first group was taken to do the group assessment and the other six were advised that they would do their individual interviews first ;I was in the latter. The Interview questions are competency based ; it is important to follow the STAR format . I was firstly interview by two Directors ( Managers) who made me feel at ease almost immediately. My second Interview was conducted by two different Directors, who were also friendly. Upon reflection, It is most likely that you will be interviewed by individuals who will be very friendly, although this is a good thing as it will calm your nerves, it is important to remember that you are there to impress them , to highlight (pretty much sell) your attributes and not to have friendly chats.Having have said this, Its also important that although you must keep it professional, there is also no harm in showing your personality. Both interviews took 45 minutes each (or there about). Immediately after, I was advised to go into another room where we were advised to Network as much as possible,(This is basically working the room ,talking to Directors and other management - Leaving an impression). Although The Networking session is informal,it is important to remain professional, ask questions and leave a good impression on the Directors). The Networking session took 15 minutes. My group was then taken to another part of the building and advised that we had to go for our Group assessment were we presented to three Different senior Directors. After the presentation, each member was asked a question in relation to the presentation.By the time we finished, it was already 5pm and the AC day over.( I apologies for being vague in some parts,I tried to remember as much in relation to the AC day as possible).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part for me was the 15 minute networking session. I found that excruciatingly awkward as you had to walk up to Different people and attempt to engage them in a conversation. The most random question was being asked to explain any random difficult process that I know of during one of the Interviews.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

CV and Cover Letter, Numerical and Verbal Reasoning Online tests, 35 min Competency based Interview, Full day Assessment Center with a group exercise and multiple interviews

After passing the online stage I got a phone call to book a Competency based Interview. I was sick during the phone interview but the Operations Analyst that interview me was very friendly and compassionate to my occasional coughing. The interview went great and 2 weeks after I got invited to an Assessment Center. I was away for a study exchange, so the company covered my travel expenses. During the Assessment Center they showed us around the buildings and split the applicants into 2 groups. My group did the team exercise first, we received 4 scenarios in advance and were allocated one of them on the spot. Informal socializing time followed and the day was completed by 2 interviews of 2 staff member each, from different departments of the firm.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

It was a general process. It included two telephone interview then a technical phone interview. After these I went to the Assessment Centre where I had one personal, two technical interviews and the and of the process wast he group exercise.

Generally it was quite friendly, so if you get the AC I am sure you will enjoy it and you can learn a lot of things from this stages.

Interview Questions

• During the technical interview you will get harder and harder questions so I am sure you will get your own "difficult question" .   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring process for Morgan Stanley Glasgow Operations Analyst is as follows. Online application, followed by online tests including a numerical test, a verbal test, and a quick 2 minute same/different test. If you score well on those, you will move on to a phone screening. During this you will be asked why the company and why the role. I was asked what my salary expectations were and after I told the lady, she immediately said that the job pays significantly less than the $75k that I was looking for. She asked if I wanted to continue and I said absolutely. She then scheduled for me a phone interview for 2 days later. That interview consisted of about 4 questions, and I was asked to use the STAR method to answer them. Appx 1 week later I was called and told that I did a very good job and impressed the operations person that I spoke to. We then scheduled an assessment center date for around 2-3 weeks later.

The assessment center consisted of 2, 45 minute interviews and 1 group project. 6 people were applying for the same position during my assessment center day, and we had our 2 interviews first. Before the interviews commenced, we were given a presentation by HR, and we had a tour of the 2 buildings. We were shown the gym, lunch cafe and some office space.

The 2, 45 minute interviews went rather well (so I thought). I was asked less than 8 questions in each and I was told that I can use the same examples for both interviews, and that I was able to take a minute or 2 to gather my thoughts before I started answering any question. 2 upper level managers were performing both interviews. They had preset questions to ask and they were not allowed to stray from them, so don't be worried about that. If your answer isn't detailed enough, they will ask for some clarification. Overall the 4 people I talked to for the 2 interviews were very nice and polite. I joked around with them and made sure to ask many questions about the company during the process.

Then as I moved to the group exercise, there was a brief (15 minute) networking session with other members of the staff. All/most of the employees that did the interviewing were present for this and I made sure to talk to some new ones. I spoke with 2 additional employees. They were friendly but didn't seem overly interested in me, as they just talked about the firm and didn't ask me any questions.

Then I went on to the group exercise, which consisted of a case study. We were all given departmental roles and had some budget items to try and get passed. We had around 30-40 minutes to do this and we had to select someone to check the time. There was a small presentation afterwards and we were asked questions by the 3 people who were watching us.

After that, we had pictures of us taken for HR purposes and given back our passports. I was starving at the end of it and left feeling relieved that it was over.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I could tell them about a policy that I followed even though I disagreed with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

The prescreening process includes an online application (with two exams- a logical and a quantitative). After you have been successful with your application two phone interviews will follow. The questions asked are quite general and prompt for your motivation (both the company and this department), relevant experience, etc. Try to be very specific and provide examples. The final step of the process is an on-site assessment centre, which consists of 2 half-hour interviews with executives and team leads, a group work and a case study. Once you have been invited to the assessment centre you have to be extremely well prepared as the interviews can get quite specific about the chosen area, the company, your past experience and skill-set. Having relevant examples is a must!

Interview Questions

• How many horses are bread in the United Kingdom?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate anything. I was so happy to receive the offer that I didn't really cared what my package included.