Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
1,264 Interview Reviews

3.2

Internal Audit Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

phone interviews first
    then onsite interview.
    the onsite interview lasted for about 4 hours.
    at first, all the candidates are gathered together for group practice and then we are seperated and was interviewed by 4 VPs.

The majority of the questions are not that technical.

Vice President, Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

one phone screen, a couple of in person interviews - mainly technology focused and then a ft interview. 2 of the interviewers were great, one was a bozo. But overall its good. Some old ED level folks are wayyy out of touch with the market/tech stack though.

The junior programmers(producers) were very sharp, but the dev managers/senior Tech managers seemed a bit old school

Client Processing Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

I went in for the interview on a Wednesday and was called and offered the job on Friday. The process was longer for this interview (I had interviewed for a Business Analyst job the day before at Morgan Stanley). I was at the downtown office for over two hours and met with four different directors, each of which helps manage the operations team. I felt like they were overall looking for more of a personality fit than anything else as a lot of the questions weren't financial/operations in nature. In fact, two of the directors were marketing majors before working at MS, so finance knowledge wasn't required. I think they were looking for people who can learn quickly and fit in with the existing team personality wise. They did give me "what if" scenarios and told me to use my background (recent college grad) to explain how I had confronted a similar situation and dealt with it. The people that I met with were very nice, and the interview was enjoyable for me.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of operations?
      When was there a time that you had to deal with a problem and overcome it?
      How did you overcome the problem?
      Why do you want to work in operations/Morgan Stanley?

Answer Question

Banker Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

it was very hard. i did well. questions were pretty difficult. must practice or you will not succeed. i highly recommend studying the questions on glass door. it was a good experience. i got hired as a banker. they might throw some trick questions so be prepared and do your home work.

Software Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I was met at the front desk at NY Plaza. Signed in and taken to an empty office. I was asked to wait until the Vice President was available to conduct the interview. I was asked to site chronologically the job history with highlight of accomplishments. Discussion on what the job entails and what skill set do I possess that applied to the job at hand.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through school and was interviewed by school recruiting team. Mostly behavioral and only asked some experiences on the resume. Highly depends on the interviewers since I've known them for a long time. Prepared for a stock pitch but was not asked but still highly recommend preparing a long and a short.. as well as several stocks you know pretty well..

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process consisted of one phone interview and one onsite interview.
    The phone interview was technical and based on the projects I had mentioned on my resume.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 events. First there was a one hour panel, where we spoke with Morgan Stanley (MS) employees who were previously interns. We asked them questions regarding their experience and work at MS.
    The next event was a group activity where we were divided into teams of 3/4 people and given a task to perform (build a bridge). There were 3 judges who were questioning each team about their decisions, etc.
    Final event was one-on-one interviews. 4 interviews, 30 mins each, very technical.

Interview Questions

• Can you create an abstract class without having any abstract function inside it?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose Morgan Stanley?   Answer Question
    • What are the 2 differences in a constructor and a destructor?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

There was a phone interview which lasted 30 mins with a first year analyst. The interview was poorly organized and lacked structure and it was obvious that it was his first time conducting an interview as he asked me questions that are definitely not allowed to be asked such as age, languages spoken etc especially since they are not related to the job.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of Morgan Stanley, knowledge of Excel, even asked an illegal question such as my age and why I took time off from school, what language I dream in. He even asked me a question in Italian as a joke.   1 Answer

Analyst - Technology Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

It was okay, not too difficult. Had my initial contact with them at an engineering conference. Interviewed with an Infrastructure manager. He asked a lot about Linux because I had that on my resume. For the onsite interviews, had two interviews, mostly networking questions, security etc. This was because I was been interviewed by members of the infrastructure team and that was what was on my resume.

Public Finance Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

They want to ensure that you know technicals and that you are a good fit for the group. That being said, if they see potential in you, they are willing to teach you a lot of the technicals.

Interview Questions

• Why Morgan Stanley? Why do you want to go into public finance?   Answer Question