Morgan Stanley

Updated Dec 21, 2014
1,125 Interview Reviews

3.2

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied through campus recruiting. Had on campus interview, strictly resume questions. Invited to super day. All behavioral questions. Three twenty minute interviews and 1 group activity. Questions about team work, leadership, internship experience the company itself.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time were you were in a group and someone disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First a phone interview from internal HR Recruiting. First interview was a panel of 3 people. They all came in one at a time. I was then called for a 2nd interview, 3 more people, one at a time. The questions were not behavioral, all they wanted was background information. Very comfortable setting.

Unable to negotiate

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First round was 30 minute phone interview, basic behavioral questions. Second was 2 interviews in person and a group activity. Most of the same questions in every interview. Why ops, why MS, etc.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I applied online for the Asia offices and was notified of being shortlisted for multiple positions around two weeks later. A week after that I had my first-round interviews by phone. A few days thereafter I only received one call back for the second round interview.

The first round interviews were conducted by Executive Directors. Both were very nice, mostly asking about my resume, short life story, why Morgan Stanley, etc. No technical questions but they did ask about markets, financial news, and relevant news for Hong Kong; they were also interested in my opinions and economic intuition about financial developments.

A Vice President conducted the second round interview. The interview was largely the same as the first round interviews with a lot of personal questions and no technical questions, just some questions about the markets as expected. The only difference from the first round interviews was that I was asked in which subgroup of sales and trading that I would be most interested in.

They do look at everything on your resume during the interview process including your hobbies so be sure to back up your claimed interests. Also, if you state that you can speak an Asian language, you had better be able to converse with the interviewer fluently.

I know that Superday will be in early January so they will fly you in to the Asia offices for additional rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What has been going on in Hong Kong financial news? (Follow-up) Is the establishment of the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect a good thing or a bad thing?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I applied on their own website. Got a first round interview after about 3 weeks. First round consists of 2 phone calls. The format was pretty standard, although they were straight for the chase in terms of technical questions.

Strats & Modeling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

A written test, including stochastic calculus, option theory, fixed income, probability and coding. Hard to finish all in just an hour. Better complete all questions you know then focus on more difficult ones.

First-round interview with different teams, including resume question and probability. A lot of use of conditional probability, similar to brain teasers.

Interview Questions
    • Approximate the possibility of a binomial distribution.   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

I applied online around mid November and received a phone interview yesterday regarding a summer analyst position in their Investment Banking Division. The phone interview was more a casual conversation in the beginning and then it carried towards a more logistical conversation about working downtown in Chicago. It wasn't too heavy on the technical questions and all they really asked me was about how to value a company. I feel like the in person interview would be more technical.

Financial Advisor Interview

multiple stages of interviews with you get hired took almost 4 weeks before. once hired you do get hired, you do get some of the best training the industry has to offer.

Interview Questions
    • do you feel you can raise 15 million dollars in 2 years?   Answer Question

Executive Director, Technology Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Was looking for hands-on ED & questions were technical. Expect multiple rounds of interviews and this may vary based on the line of business that you are being interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • Questions can be techno-functional based on the line of business. As an example "how was straight through processing achieved in the reconcilation function of the back office application. What architecture principles were leveraged and did it help?"   Answer Question

Counter offer from current firm

Strats and Modeling Interview

first round
    Exam
    Second round (could have several)
    phone interview
    Third round
    superday
    They sent invitations for phone interview to students who passed the 1 hour exam
    And interviews are conducted by different teams like credit, IR..