Morgan Stanley

Updated Dec 15, 2014
1,117 Interview Reviews

3.2

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

Three rounds of interviews about self-intro, general experience, characters and personality, knowledge about the company and HR departments conducted by staff 2, recruiting manager and senior manager of the HR department, both in English and Chinese
    questions focused mostly on competencies, teamwork, leadership, difficult situation etc.
    knowing the job description, the expected daily tasks and company profile important too..

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm questions
      Why are you better than other candidates?
       Which valuation technique would yield a higher value for a firm-Public Comparables? or Past Transaction Comparables?

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

Standard - Cover letter and a numerical. Took almost 6 weeks to be invited to a telephone interview. Almost every interview starts with "Walk me through your CV" which you should not have more than a 2 minute answer to. After that point, the rest of the interview was technical. "Walk ne through DCF", "How do you work out the WACC", "What is Beta?" etc..

IBD Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

- First the online application
    - Immediately invited to a numerical test
    - Nearly 2 months later, phone interview invite by e-mail
    - The first phone interview was mainly competency based: why MS, why M&A
    - Some technical questions like valuation techniques and financial statements/ratios
    - Shortly after I was invited to a second phone interview
    - Much harder, extremely technical, many current news questions as well
    - Both interviews were in French instead of English, which was highly unexpected

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in May 2012.

One telephonic and followed by 5 face to face interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2010.

Long drawn, technical and difficult to crack. Many rounds of interview, start with technical, and ends with interview with MD. Another round of interview at company premise at the end to verify authenticity.

Informal

Public Finance Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2010.

I had three phone interviews with VP's and Executive Directors, and then was asked to come into the office and present a 23 page case study to demonstrate my debt structuring and credit analysis skills of a fictitious public power utility. They notified me several weeks later that I did not get the job. They wanted someone who came from a "bulge bracket bank."

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 ways I country can develop and strengthen its economy   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

I had a phone interview with human resource, followed with a technical test. The test is all about programming, algorithm and technical knowledge. I was asked to pick to take the test in either C++ or C#. The test was for 45 minute. After that, I had an in person interview with the group.

Senior Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2009.

Got an HR call a few days after submitting online. Only had one very detailed techie phone interview. Morgan Stanley's HR is outsourced to HR consultants. I thought that was odd. I seemed to match some of the skills they were looking for, but I completely bombed on the very very technical questions, things that I had not done in over 5 years. And also these are things that usually people don't know off the top of their heads. In my experience, one of the most important technical must-haves is not knowing everything, but knowing where to look for anything. Sorry, I do not know the actual UNIX command with every possible flag or parameter...that's what UNIX man pages are for.

Interview Questions
    • If Morgan Stanley merged with or acquired another company, how would you design a solution such that the people from MS and people from the newly acquired company can access each company's applications using their own identities, without change to their user ids or passwords?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2009.

Began with a phone call, followed by 2 onsite interviews. Phone call is OK, but not easy. The two onsite interveiws are very very difficult. Need to understand financial maths very well and algorithm design to answer the questions Began with a phone call, followed by 2 onsite interviews. Phone call is OK, but not easy. The two onsite interveiws are very very difficult. Need to understand financial maths very well and algorithm design to answer the questions

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

The two men who interviewed me were as unfriendly as possible. They ran through a series of easy behavioral questions. They seemed completely unhappy to be interviewing on my campus and completely uninterested in me as a candidate. Then they started with the technical questions. Almost every firm I applied to asked the same questions. These two men told me to get out a pen and paper and write a series of variables and percentages down. Then they asked me to walk them through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1. It should have been an easy question but I had never seen a problem similar to the one they had given me. I had no idea how to answer the problem. They simply glared at me with a blank stare.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1 for the following problem....then listed some PPE purchased with half debt and half equity   Answer Question