Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
1,264 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

Interview

I had a phone interview with human resource, followed with a technical test. The test is all about programming, algorithm and technical knowledge. I was asked to pick to take the test in either C++ or C#. The test was for 45 minute. After that, I had an in person interview with the group.

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2009.

Interview

Got an HR call a few days after submitting online. Only had one very detailed techie phone interview. Morgan Stanley's HR is outsourced to HR consultants. I thought that was odd. I seemed to match some of the skills they were looking for, but I completely bombed on the very very technical questions, things that I had not done in over 5 years. And also these are things that usually people don't know off the top of their heads. In my experience, one of the most important technical must-haves is not knowing everything, but knowing where to look for anything. Sorry, I do not know the actual UNIX command with every possible flag or parameter...that's what UNIX man pages are for.

Interview Questions

• If Morgan Stanley merged with or acquired another company, how would you design a solution such that the people from MS and people from the newly acquired company can access each company's applications using their own identities, without change to their user ids or passwords?   Answer Question

Public Finance Investment Banking Associate Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I had three phone interviews with VP's and Executive Directors, and then was asked to come into the office and present a 23 page case study to demonstrate my debt structuring and credit analysis skills of a fictitious public power utility. They notified me several weeks later that I did not get the job. They wanted someone who came from a "bulge bracket bank."

Interview Questions

• Name 5 ways I country can develop and strengthen its economy   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2009.

Interview

Began with a phone call, followed by 2 onsite interviews. Phone call is OK, but not easy. The two onsite interveiws are very very difficult. Need to understand financial maths very well and algorithm design to answer the questions Began with a phone call, followed by 2 onsite interviews. Phone call is OK, but not easy. The two onsite interveiws are very very difficult. Need to understand financial maths very well and algorithm design to answer the questions

LDAP Perl Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

The position was for AVP level in MS IT, The technical phone screen was 45 minutes and there were two Morgan Stanley "employees" on the call. The questions were obscure and it turns out one of the interviewers actually was a consultant out of NJ. The primary tip off was the emphasis on Linux when I have no Linux experience on my resume (primarily Solaris and AIX). So I was curious, and googled the originating telephone number, and I found the consultancy, that has (surprise!) an emphasis on Linux. This was a dishonest interview and a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Quick, what is LDAP error number 53?   1 Answer
    • How do you monitor resource performance in Linux?   1 Answer

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2010.

Interview

got the phone interview from a recruiter. talked with one person about half an hour. very technical. no behavior questions.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2010.

Interview

Asked math and brain teaser questions. There were open-ended brainstorming problems as well.

Sales Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

The people there were very geeky I beleive. They asked me many math questions and skills questions but not so much technical stuff. They also would ask some obscure questions they do not even know the answers when directed to themselves like what is the hardest thing youve ever done?

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I applied online and got an interview call after resume screening. The interview was basic math and finance knowldege. Questions:
    1. What is the current DJIA
    2. NASDAQ
    3. Given a 3-D grid of side 3 and where length of each unit is 1, find the number of ways of moving from coordinate 0,0,0 to 3,3,3. Assume that the two points are the 2 ends of the body diagnol.
    4. A question based on birth and death processes
    5. Probabilty Q based on bay's rule

Interview Questions

• There is a big line of people waiting outside a theatre for buying tickets. The theatre owner comes out and announces that the first person to have a birthday same as someone standing before him in the line gets a free ticket. Where wil you stand to maximise your chance?   3 Answers

Summer Intern Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Tokyo (Japan)) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied for a summer internship program in Morgan Stanley while I was in the 1st year of graduate school. After web application and taking the online skills tests (Japanese Ability and Maths) as well as personality test, I had been invited to a group interview.
    The interview was held in Ebesu. There were 6 people in my group. 3 of them were from Tokyo University and 2 of them were from Keio University. I was the only female and foreigner in the group and was from the other university.
    The interviewer was really bad. He cannot speak English, and he didn't even know how to answer people's questions. And we finished much earlier than other groups...