Morgan Stanley

1,116 Interview Reviews

3.2

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First round was 30 minute phone interview, basic behavioral questions. Second was 2 interviews in person and a group activity. Most of the same questions in every interview. Why ops, why MS, etc.

Finance Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Standard online application with online testing. Telephone interview was very relaxed and was competency and CV based. The assessment centre comprised of 2x40min 1:1 interviews with someone from the department and a group exercise. The first interview was very much competency based, there were 5 competencies and you were asked a question on each. There was also a question about the current economic climate in Europe. The second interview had more technical questions in it but also focused on competency based questions. All interviews were relaxed and the staff were very friendly. The group exercise lasted 45 minutes and consisted of a case study where you had to work together to reach a conclusion and present your findings to a panel of 5 employees.
    During the day there was also the opportunity to network with current graduates to find out what the day was like.

Interview Questions
    • What are the pros and cons of the UK joining the euro?
      Tell me about a time you negatively affected someone and how you went about solving this?

Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The whole process was relatively quick. Application and tests are quite typical, nothing special.

Phone interview is purely competency based. Tell me about a time when you showed... Why MS, why operations.

AC was only 3,5 hours and very casual. MS booked me a nice hotel and paid for the trip. Everyone's very nice and the London Office is amazing, although it might be a bit difficult to find as there's no sign saying MS outside.

AC started with a group exercise. Again, standard text book stuff. Had a budget, 30 minutes. Everyone had their priorities what to include in the budget. Half way through they gave us new information. Contribute, don't dominate, listen, ask questions, keep time, tell others to move on if short of time.

Then there was a short networking session with 3 guys on industrial placement. Gave a good insight.

Finally, 2 interviews. If you felt good with the phone interview, these will make you feel even better, since they are exactly the same type of questions. Maybe additionally something about regulations.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

I applied online through the MS career website. A few weeks late, I got an email saying I was shortlisted for the first round interviews.

The first phone was with a VP in Sales. The questions are like: walk me through your resume, tell me about your summer job, what do you think about the oil price and the coal price, what do you do in your free time, tell me about an experience when you take a huge risk, tell me about your leadership experience, why S&T.

The second phone interview was with a Executive Director in Trading. We spent sometime talking about options, cover call, married put, short straddle and the B-S model for options pricing.

I am waiting to hear back if I get into the final round interview.

Summer Analyst Interview

Applied online, standard numerical test. Took them about 2-3 weeks to invite me to a phone interview. Phone interview was conducted by a 2nd/3rd year analyst who was very friendly. Started off with a few general questions before hitting the technical stage. Lasted about 30-40 mins.

AVP- Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Got a mail from Morgan Stanley HR Mumbai or interview.They have taken 2 rounds of Technical and Management questions. Almost 30-45 Minutes and asked more on Unix,sql questions.
    Then HR Called me for Face to Face interview.When I informed that I am in Delhi and need a travel she set another telephonic round with a US person. It was a long interview almost 1 Hrs.

After interview HR told me that she will set up Face to Face round interview next week.After several chase up mails HR told me that Position is cancelled.

HR is very rude and not communicating well .she is not able to write proper mails.

Interview Questions
    • 1.3 different servers in LB mode and you need to check logs from one server without FTP.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Applied through their careers platform for a Summer Internship in Technology in London. Got a phone interview two weeks later. The interview lasted for 40 minutes, but was mostly technical. You might get asked why technology and that's it, the interviewer will jump right into technical questions. The monotone interviewer felt slightly hostile. Be prepared to be asked detailed questions about a programming language you mentioned on the CV and eventually some concepts you might not be familiar with, so make sure you do some reading beforehand and take a look at some of the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages of OOP, what is it and how does it work?
      What is encapsulation?
      How does error handling works?
      Do you know what is exception handling?
      How does an hash table works?
      What is bubble sort? What is its complexity?
      What is quick sort? Do you now less complex sorting algorithms?
      What about merge sort?
      How does multithreading works? Advantages and Disadvantages? What is the race condition?
      Walk me through the several SQL commands? How to add and delete information in a DB?

Answer Question

Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2014.

I applied through campus recruiting board and then was asked for attending on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and was an alum. Two coding questions about finding prime numbers and permutations. He was impressed by my combinational background since I didn't study anything related to CS before. The Superday happened 10 days after the on-campus interview in NYC. There were group activities and two rounds of interviews. The first one is an indian female who wasn't concentrated at all when I was answering those behavioral questions she asked. I was a little bit offended. Then my another originally assigned interviewer didn't show up due to bad traffic, and the recruiter assigned me another interviewer on the spot. Just an easy math question and asked for coding on paper. However, I didn't realize what he really asked until it was finished.

If you didn't receive the follow up less than one week. Often times you got rejected.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Apply online. First round was telephone interview. The lady was really nice. I got quite relax and started chatting with her about her job etc. She asked me very basic competency questions. My suggestion is have someone to practise with you, make sure he/she can take notes and the key points are the ones you want to be remembered with. Second round was assessment centre which had two interviews and one group exercise. In the two interviews, each interviewer asked 4 competency questions and builded up from my answers. The group exercise was easy. Make sure you read the instructions clearly and watch out for the time. Morgan Stanley people were all so nice! Just relax and be yourself!

Interview Questions
    • Explain a complex concept with simple words.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you mad wrong decision and what did you do to fix it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation at entry level

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied Online, numerical tests and got an invite for phone interview 3 weeks later. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and the interviewer was indeed aggressive and challenged everything I said.

Interview Questions
    • How did the recent financial crisis start? What is your opinion about the recent regulations?   Answer Question