Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
1,246 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2015.

They were very quick in responding and maintained communication really well. I was stunned to see that the entire process right from phone interview to offer took only 2 weeks. It was one phone interview and then a superday where there is a panel presentation, group activity and then 4 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They pretty much asked me everything, right from data structures to algos to networks to sql and also some behavioral and analytical questions. OOPs concepts, trees, joins, java were some of them.   Answer Question

Graduate Technical Assessment Center Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

There were 4 interviews in assessment center, 2 technical and 1 competence and a team interview and it takes me like 5 hours, HR and interviewers were nice. Competence interview and group interview were very general. The first technical interview asked me to write code in papers but the question are easy, like create a class and getter setter method in java. And the second technical part came to some harder questions and they would ask you some question based on your CV. I have been rejected.

Interview Questions
    • why using interface other than abstract class in java   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The interview process consisted of one phone interview and one onsite interview.
    The phone interview was technical and based on the projects I had mentioned on my resume.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 events. First there was a one hour panel, where we spoke with Morgan Stanley (MS) employees who were previously interns. We asked them questions regarding their experience and work at MS.
    The next event was a group activity where we were divided into teams of 3/4 people and given a task to perform (build a bridge). There were 3 judges who were questioning each team about their decisions, etc.
    Final event was one-on-one interviews. 4 interviews, 30 mins each, very technical.

Interview Questions
    • Can you create an abstract class without having any abstract function inside it?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose Morgan Stanley?   Answer Question
    • What are the 2 differences in a constructor and a destructor?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2012.

Online application, online assessment, phone interview, onsite interview. Onsite interview includes paper test, two technical interviews, one professional fit interview, and group interview. Whole process lasts for around two weeks from online application to getting an offer.

Sales and Trading Analyst - Placement Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Fairly normal process, telephone interview and AC.
    2 interviewers for the telephone stage, had a lot of questions to answer in those 30 minutes. But it was all competency based. Hardest part was not to go all over the place in my answers.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Lots of focus on personality. What did you do as extra curriculars, what do you enjoy, what do you dislike.
    Have good reasons for why sales and not trading, why you don't want to work in IB etc. Questions were more about getting you to think on your feet, less IB style 'memorize this equation and recite it'. Lots of questions about current events, would make sense to read up on some bloomberg stuff ahead of time.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied through school and was interviewed by school recruiting team. Mostly behavioral and only asked some experiences on the resume. Highly depends on the interviewers since I've known them for a long time. Prepared for a stock pitch but was not asked but still highly recommend preparing a long and a short.. as well as several stocks you know pretty well..

Global Capital Markets Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2015.

The interview process was straightforward. I applied online, got referred after some networking I did, and received a phone interview invite. The interview was 25 minutes long with 5-10 minutes left for questions. The interview was plain vanilla with the usual "walk me through your resume" type of questions and 1 or 2 brain-teasers, and went fine, I think. Just be prepared to have a small story for every line on your resume. I interviewed yesterday, so I presume it's too early to know.

Capital Markets Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

There was a phone interview which lasted 30 mins with a first year analyst. The interview was poorly organized and lacked structure and it was obvious that it was his first time conducting an interview as he asked me questions that are definitely not allowed to be asked such as age, languages spoken etc especially since they are not related to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Knowledge of Morgan Stanley, knowledge of Excel, even asked an illegal question such as my age and why I took time off from school, what language I dream in. He even asked me a question in Italian as a joke.   View Answer

Graduate Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2015.

After a phone interview dealing only with software development tasks, including OOP and how I would approach some problems, I was invited to an Assessment Centre in London; it was very well organized, consisting of an interpersonal interview (which went surprisingly well, given that I thought I was too blunt about some things and I was unprepared for it), a group exercise (regarding building a software solution, it was a question of tradeoffs) and two technical interviews, one more general, and one that I found very knowledge-based, which went rather badly.
    After a while I got a phone call and was offered an extra interview, which was not knowledge-based, but rather had more questions on algorithms and problem solving, which went well, and I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given a social network, how would you count the number of friends of up to nth degree?   Answer Question
    • Design an online bookshop.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of ints and a long, find two ints in the array which sum to the long value.   Answer Question
    • What are the similarities and differences between Java and Scala?   Answer Question