Morgan Stanley

Updated Nov 20, 2014
1,085 Interview Reviews

3.2

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Phone Interview. Much more technical than expected considering I'm from a non-finance background. However, overall it wasn't too complex. Questions included standard motivation questions a few technicals. Mostly just to assess interest in the position/company.

Interviewer was incredibly helpful. The interview was more like a casual chat than a formal interview. He explained anything I didn't know and offered to send me more material to read up on for my next interview.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the 2 main types of valuation and their pros and cons.   Answer Question
    • What deals do you know of that we were involved in? How much was it worth? What role did we play in the deal? Why would company A have wanted to acquire/merge with company B? What do you know about their industry? How did they benefit? Do you think they overpaid?   Answer Question

Sprin Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2013.

1st round: 1 phone interview, questions about the news and classic "tell me about a time" questions.
    2nd round: 2 phone interviews with more senior people (VPs), same format.
    No brainteasers and no investment questions. The interviewer were friendly and listening carefully/taking notes of what I was saying.
    One the interviewer asked to walk me through my resume, point by point so be ready to explain every aspect of it.

Interest Rate Trade Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2014.

I met with 4 people. All very intelligent. Met with the head of operations and two directors from his team as well as a person that I would be working with. Interview was 30 minutes for each.

Interview Questions
    • Why Morgan Stanley? What motivates you? Who is the CEO?   View Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2014.

I submitted the resume in career fair and take the onsite first-round-interview a week later. That is pretty simple, just some concept questions and basic programming questions are asked.

A week later, I went to the onsite final-round-interview.
    Firstly we have lunch there and can ask new employees questions to know more about the company.
    Then we are divided into group of 4 to build the bridge with tapes and newspapers. It is not hard to build such a bridge, but you need to show your teamwork abilities I think.
    Then there are 4 technical interviews. Concept questions, programming questions, behaviour questions and brain teasers are asked. The questions are not hard.

Interview Questions
    • If you suddenly find that it is extremely slow for your software to communicate with the database, what is the possible problem? What will you do to discover the problem?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Submitted online, waited for 2 weeks before phone interview with analyst. During the interview it was a mix of technicals and fit questions about my background. Interviewer was really friendly and really nice. Ask me my interest in the division I was applying to and asked me to walk through my CV. Also had a brain teaser at the end. Waited for 2 more weeks before getting invited to face to face interviews in London

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2014.

Applied directly via our school career site. Received a call a week after and scheduled an interview to meet with the hiring team. Had an interview at the Morgan Stanley offices with the managing partner of the team and was well received

Interview Questions
    Hours and days was very flexible and completely up to me.

Executive Director, Technology Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Was looking for hands-on ED & questions were technical. Expect multiple rounds of interviews and this may vary based on the line of business that you are being interviewed for.

Interview Questions
    • Questions can be techno-functional based on the line of business. As an example "how was straight through processing achieved in the reconcilation function of the back office application. What architecture principles were leveraged and did it help?"   Answer Question

Counter offer from current firm

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Divided into 3 phases following tests. 1st round two phone interviews with analysts in IBD team, 2nd roundone phone interview and one face-to-face. Last roundassessment centre. Only made it to the 2nd round and all my interviews were conducted by people with the same nationality as me, even though I was applying to London Office.

Interview Questions
    • How will the financial statements be affected if I do an adjustment in the company's depreciation. Walk through it.
      Why isnt interest payments included in FCF calculation.
        Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

How to reverse an string without using extra memory? When, why and how we use Polymorphism? Why we use inheritance? Why object oriented? Java framework specification and benefits. Combine two string. Basic SQL questions. Implementations of sorting and searching algorithms like merge sort. Best data structure fore different purpose. Best sort and search algorithm.

Interview Questions
    • Detail programming questions. Be ready to write code with pen and paper.   Answer Question

Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

Had a phone interview with a VP. He was late for over 15min, and he overrun the interview for about 20 min. Only the first 5min is about competency-based questions. Then he asked almost everything on my CV, and asked almost every main areas in computer science. Sadly, I am not very familiar with script languages and could not answer them. Also he asked about details on my IDE, and the habit of using it when carrying out tests. I guess the biggest mistakes I made is saying "I don't know" rather than give it a try.