Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015
1,321 Interview Reviews

3.2

Internal Audit Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

phone interviews first
    then onsite interview.
    the onsite interview lasted for about 4 hours.
    at first, all the candidates are gathered together for group practice and then we are seperated and was interviewed by 4 VPs.

The majority of the questions are not that technical.

Foreign Exchange Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very smooth and traditional. I was invited to meet in-person for 3 1:1 interviews, involving a VP, Director, and peer Associate. Overall experience was positive and there were no deviations from what I had expected. It was my intent to leave the interview with an offer in hand, but the process took awhile longer.

Client Processing Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Baltimore, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

I went in for the interview on a Wednesday and was called and offered the job on Friday. The process was longer for this interview (I had interviewed for a Business Analyst job the day before at Morgan Stanley). I was at the downtown office for over two hours and met with four different directors, each of which helps manage the operations team. I felt like they were overall looking for more of a personality fit than anything else as a lot of the questions weren't financial/operations in nature. In fact, two of the directors were marketing majors before working at MS, so finance knowledge wasn't required. I think they were looking for people who can learn quickly and fit in with the existing team personality wise. They did give me "what if" scenarios and told me to use my background (recent college grad) to explain how I had confronted a similar situation and dealt with it. The people that I met with were very nice, and the interview was enjoyable for me.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of operations?
      When was there a time that you had to deal with a problem and overcome it?
      How did you overcome the problem?
      Why do you want to work in operations/Morgan Stanley?

Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process consisted of one phone interview and one onsite interview.
    The phone interview was technical and based on the projects I had mentioned on my resume.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 events. First there was a one hour panel, where we spoke with Morgan Stanley (MS) employees who were previously interns. We asked them questions regarding their experience and work at MS.
    The next event was a group activity where we were divided into teams of 3/4 people and given a task to perform (build a bridge). There were 3 judges who were questioning each team about their decisions, etc.
    Final event was one-on-one interviews. 4 interviews, 30 mins each, very technical.

Interview Questions

• Can you create an abstract class without having any abstract function inside it?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose Morgan Stanley?   Answer Question
    • What are the 2 differences in a constructor and a destructor?   Answer Question

Vice President, Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

one phone screen, a couple of in person interviews - mainly technology focused and then a ft interview. 2 of the interviewers were great, one was a bozo. But overall its good. Some old ED level folks are wayyy out of touch with the market/tech stack though.

The junior programmers(producers) were very sharp, but the dev managers/senior Tech managers seemed a bit old school

Software Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I was met at the front desk at NY Plaza. Signed in and taken to an empty office. I was asked to wait until the Vice President was available to conduct the interview. I was asked to site chronologically the job history with highlight of accomplishments. Discussion on what the job entails and what skill set do I possess that applied to the job at hand.

Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

it was very hard. i did well. questions were pretty difficult. must practice or you will not succeed. i highly recommend studying the questions on glass door. it was a good experience. i got hired as a banker. they might throw some trick questions so be prepared and do your home work.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Nashville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through their website after a recruiter talked to me. They asked basic questions about how you manage tasks. There were two of the 30 minutes interview sessions. It was not too bad. There were mixtures of technical and behavioral questions. It was a small office in Nashville. There were not many employees at the Nashville office.

Campus Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 24 hours by a recruiter. We set up a phone screen and shortly thereafter I was invited into the NY office. Everything up to that point had run very efficiently. Getting into the office, however, was not as easy. I gave my availability to one of the contract coordinators and it took about 2 weeks of going back and forth to finally schedule the in person interview. I met with 4 different recruiters and left with a really positive impression of the company and the recruiting program. From what I heard that day, recruiters are rotated at least every year, moving from department to department to learn different areas of the business.

I was told I would receive feedback within 2 weeks. On that two week mark, I reached out to one of the recruiters I met with. No response. I followed up with her a week later. No response. I followed up with the Director a week after that. No response from her either. After two months of no feedback, I just assumed they were not interested in pursuing anything. However, I never heard anything one way or the other. Being a recruiter, I was very disappointed with the entire process. I usually have feedback for candidates within 48 hours, which I know isn't the norm. I really didn't leave with a positive impression of the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in recruiting college students? Tell us a little bit about your current role. Why are you interested in leaving your current company? Are you willing to commute? Do you know who our competitors are?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conshohocken, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Conshohocken, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

First Round interview very casual over the phone with a team manager that lasts about 30 minutes. The team manager described the role mostly and asked some behavioral questions. Second Round was another phone interview with a Portfolio Management Associate in the branch. Similar to the first round in describing the role, a run through the resume, some fit questions. Third Round was 4 in person interviews with various employees for about 30 minutes each. Asked about Morgan Stanley and more fit questions, more resume questions. Fourth and last round was an interview with the 2 principals which I did not receive.

Interview Questions

• What about Morgan Stanley interests you and why do you want to work here in particular?   Answer Question