Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
1,246 Interview Reviews

3.2

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I was brought in to the office for the first round interview. I met with an MD and an Associate and was asked about my interest in the markets and my background.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Phone interview - paper test - Group interview - Manager interview
    Group interview was a task. You have a discussion on some topic and each person gets to present for 30 seconds at the end. It was pretty intense.
    Manager interview asks a lot of questions that had been asked in the phone interview.

Strats & Modeling Interview

It is a quant financial exam, which is 60 min in length. Four parts: math, finance, math finance, programming. No calculators. You cannot take the exam again if you have taken the exam within the last six months.

Interview Questions
    • I remember there are some questions about conditional probability. Not too difficult, take it easy.   Answer Question

Equities Summer Analyst Interview

First round through school recruiting. was interviewed over the phone by a VP. mostly just questions about the market and about my skills. also a stock pitch was included as well.

Interview Questions
    • $100mm fund. split it up regionally across the globe by percentage   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

I have a friend working in Morgan Stanley. He referred us to the company. Then I received the notice from Morgan Stanley. The firm hosted a pre-night to explain the basic process of interview.

Technology Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

Got contacted through career services. They held a pre-night networking event for people to be able to talk to the interviewers. The one-on-one interview was the next day, 45-minute long, which involved mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is the angle between the two hands of a clock? Various OOP terms.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

First round was one 30 minute interview. Second round was two 30 minute interviews and a group activity. All behavioral questions, nothing technical. For the group activity we were divided into two groups to work on a problem. Then, they combined the groups and we had to work together to present our solution. For the interview, know what operations does.

Interview Questions
    • Best group you've worked with, a time you were wrong, a time you had to have a tough conversation, why Morgan Stanley, why operations.   Answer Question

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Applied online and was notified I was selected for a first round interview 3 days later. The first round interviews took place on-campus a week after the notification and consisted of one-on-one with an operations director. I was notified I made it to the final round the next morning and went to their office a day later. The Super Day consisted of two 1:1 interviews and a group exercise with other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you failed
      Describe a time you worked on a team
      Describe a time you were wrong
      What makes you a good fit for a corporate job?
      Describe a difficult conversation you've had

Group Exercise: City limits are a square, and the downtown area is another square in the the center of the city. Design a network of primary and secondary roadways to allow easy travel to the downtown area while keeping costs as low as possible. (20 minutes)
      -Who do you think was a leader?
      -Who would you like to work with again?
      -What did someone do well?
      -What would you change?

Answer Question

Corporate Treasury Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

The entire process took over a little over 1.5 months. Applied on my school's career site, and was notified for an on campus interview with a VP a week after.

1st round interview:
    - roughly half an hour
    - mostly behavioral and fit questions, with a couple market questions
    - Tell me about yourself
    - Tell me a time you had a difficult group work situation and how you dealt with it
    - What is your Excel proficiency
    - What is your opinion on the oil markets? What does that mean for the US? etc....

Was notified for SuperDay a week after. SuperDay was held on site at their NYC HQ, and consisted of 3 one-on-one interviews with various senior managers as well as a group activity.
    - mostly fit and conflict resolution questions
    - asked about basic understanding of Morgan Stanley's business model
    - understanding of Treasury and its functional groups: Capital, Liquidity, Funding
    -Group activity was a game, and needed to solve all the clues together with two other candidates under a time constraint of 30 min

HR is very bad about giving a definite yes or no about offers. If you don't hear back in a week and a half, you probably didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your understanding of Corporate Treasury and what each of the functional groups do?   Answer Question

Full Time Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

First phone interview was purely technical and resume based.
    HR contacted me again saying interviewer needs to assess me in detail and hence second phone interview was set up.
    Finally called to assessment center where i had 4 back to back technical interviews.
    I was told the decision would be communicate in a week and got an offer in 5-6 days.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Interface, abstract classes, inner class, Polymorphism and other OOPS concepts.
      2) Database- SQL commands for certain situational examples.
      3) Design patterns - singleton, factory, builder patterns.
      4) Data structures and algorithms: Eg:
          Differences between arrays and vectors.
          Link list traversal based questions
          Graph algorithms- BFS, DFS