Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015
1,272 Interview Reviews

3.2

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

The entire interview process took 1 week. MS held a Pre-interview Q&A panel on Monday where you got to meet the people who you will be interviewing with. The actual interview was on Wednesday and all of the questions asked required specific examples from past experiences. Superday was on Thursday and consisted of 2 one on one interviews and one group presentation. All questions were behavioral/fit. The group presentation consists of working in a team to create something and presenting the results. General format of the presentation: Two competing teams working on a single assignment, halfway through, you are given a massive restriction/change in the assignment to see how you think on your feet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you: worked in a team, worked with a difficult person, worked harder than you expected, worked in what you would consider the best team you ever had, had a conflict with a teammate, had a difficult conversation with another person.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I was brought in to the office for the first round interview. I met with an MD and an Associate and was asked about my interest in the markets and my background.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

Phone interview - paper test - Group interview - Manager interview
    Group interview was a task. You have a discussion on some topic and each person gets to present for 30 seconds at the end. It was pretty intense.
    Manager interview asks a lot of questions that had been asked in the phone interview.

Strats & Modeling Interview

Interview

It is a quant financial exam, which is 60 min in length. Four parts: math, finance, math finance, programming. No calculators. You cannot take the exam again if you have taken the exam within the last six months.

Interview Questions

• I remember there are some questions about conditional probability. Not too difficult, take it easy.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

Interview

First round was one 30 minute interview. Second round was two 30 minute interviews and a group activity. All behavioral questions, nothing technical. For the group activity we were divided into two groups to work on a problem. Then, they combined the groups and we had to work together to present our solution. For the interview, know what operations does.

Interview Questions

• Best group you've worked with, a time you were wrong, a time you had to have a tough conversation, why Morgan Stanley, why operations.   Answer Question

Full Time Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

First phone interview was purely technical and resume based.
    HR contacted me again saying interviewer needs to assess me in detail and hence second phone interview was set up.
    Finally called to assessment center where i had 4 back to back technical interviews.
    I was told the decision would be communicate in a week and got an offer in 5-6 days.

Interview Questions

• 1) Interface, abstract classes, inner class, Polymorphism and other OOPS concepts.
      2) Database- SQL commands for certain situational examples.
      3) Design patterns - singleton, factory, builder patterns.
      4) Data structures and algorithms: Eg:
          Differences between arrays and vectors.
          Link list traversal based questions
          Graph algorithms- BFS, DFS
      5) Unix commands.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Interview

First round through school recruiting. was interviewed over the phone by a VP. mostly just questions about the market and about my skills. also a stock pitch was included as well.

Interview Questions

• $100mm fund. split it up regionally across the globe by percentage   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2015.

Interview

Got contacted through career services. They held a pre-night networking event for people to be able to talk to the interviewers. The one-on-one interview was the next day, 45-minute long, which involved mostly technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the two hands of a clock? Various OOP terms.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I have a friend working in Morgan Stanley. He referred us to the company. Then I received the notice from Morgan Stanley. The firm hosted a pre-night to explain the basic process of interview.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was notified I was selected for a first round interview 3 days later. The first round interviews took place on-campus a week after the notification and consisted of one-on-one with an operations director. I was notified I made it to the final round the next morning and went to their office a day later. The Super Day consisted of two 1:1 interviews and a group exercise with other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you failed
      Describe a time you worked on a team
      Describe a time you were wrong
      What makes you a good fit for a corporate job?
      Describe a difficult conversation you've had

Group Exercise: City limits are a square, and the downtown area is another square in the the center of the city. Design a network of primary and secondary roadways to allow easy travel to the downtown area while keeping costs as low as possible. (20 minutes)
      -Who do you think was a leader?
      -Who would you like to work with again?
      -What did someone do well?
      -What would you change?