Morgan Stanley Investment Management

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Executive Interview

Senior Executive
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.

Interview Details – Long drawn out time, after it ended I was tired out and looking way out, I should have ran. It was incredibly different then I was originally awaiting. The employees that interview me were not top players.

Negotiation Details – Long

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews. 2 over the phone, and last one at MS NYC office for superday. The whole process took 2 months. A combination of both behavioral and technical questions. Make sure you have your resume stamped in your head. Even though you might not be interviewing for a technical position, it is essential for you to at least have a good memory of calculas, and other financial concepts, including derivatives

Interview Question – Probability Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Real Estate Investment Summer Analyst Interview

Real Estate Investment Summer Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.

Interview Details – Two first round interviews and final round at the office.

Interview Question – Would IRR be higher for a property generating high cash flow, or one generating nothing at all?   View Answer

Financial Adviser Associate Interview

Financial Adviser Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.

Interview Details – Quick response via email after initial online application. Had phone screening which resulted in basic questions of why do you want to do you want to become a financial advisor, why do you think you will be successful etc. Next was asked to take a few online tests which would quantify ability to pass licensing exams. Initial contact told me that someone from the location that I applied to would contact me after I finish the tests. A few weeks went by with no contact. A month after the tests were completed I was able to get a hold of the initial contact who told me that I was still in consideration but that I just had to wait to hear from the location I applied to. 2 months later and still no contact.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.

Interview Details – Submitted application on campus, went through first round interview on campus and then second round at MSIM offices. Everybody was nice and very professional. The interview was not technical but based more upon fit. They took a while to get back with the results unfortunately (over three weeks) which was a little long.

Interview Question – Why investment management.   Answer Question

Investment Management Intern Interview

Investment Management Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management in April 2013.

Interview Details – Contacted an Alumni at MS
Phone interview regarding interest and intern job description
Flew to NYC for in-person interview
Verbally accepted internship on the spot
Confirmed via email, and email was forwarded to recruiting office, HR
Official documents emailed, signed, and returned

Interview Question – None. Fit Questions, Need based clarifiers about the internship   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – minimum wage paid, $2 per hour increase after one month.

Wealth Management Interview

Wealth Management
Jersey City, NJ

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management in June 2010.

Interview Details – It was a lengthy process. Everyone I sat with continued to emphasize how I will not make it in this business. They try to scare you to turn you away since you are a cost to them if you are not producing. You have to sell yourself, your drive and your network. The online test took around two hours. I interviewed with branch manager, business development officer, and compliance. Everyone is very nice witho the company, but reality is that not many people make it in the business. Not the most professional work environment since you can be completely reckless and as long as you bring money in for the firm, they keep you on top. Ego driven environment, but ultimately that's what gets you far here.

Interview Question – How will you bring in business?   Answer Question

IB Interview

IB
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management in January 2012.

Interview Details – Asked me my story and how to value a company

Interview Questions

Executive Director Marketing Interview

Executive Director Marketing
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management in March 2011.

Interview Details – My first interview was with Pimco. They liked me but they were looking for someone to travel 50% of the time. Not an option for me. They recommended me to their parent company Allianz. I interviewed with the MarCom head. He liked me - we had a great conversation. I knew it went well. Recruiter told me it went very well and they want me for one more round of interviews. It was mine to loose.

I was brought back for a day of interviews with: a peer,Sr mgr and 2 individuals I would be managing. The "peer" was a friend-of-a-friend and I knew that interview went well. The Senior mgr was selling me on the company - I knew that went well. The two staff members (both in the room at the same time) were the last interview. One of the two staff members was very skiddish about my management style. I am about streamlining systems. He expressed concern that my systems might would interfere with his creative process. I should have addressed this more aggressively. He was very close with the MarCom head and I think he put the kibosh any possible offer. I was told I didn't fit the culture.

Interview Question – Why do you think you you are qualified for this job managing design and content when you have no experience writing content.   View Answer

Associate Interview

Associate
Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Investment Management in October 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process is consist of following rounds:
A) Written test for java
B) Written test for sql
C) 1:1 Interview for java & sql
D) 1:1 Interview for java & sql
E) Again three rounds of technical interview
F) Profit and HR

The initial communication from the company was very very good. The interview process was very smooth but it lasted pretty long. Should reduce the number of rounds.

Interview Question – The written interview was very very tough. I dont remember the question but most of the questions were very theoratical.   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley Investment Management? Contribute to the Community!