Morgan Stanley Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 12, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online then asked to take the Quantitative Finance Exam which contains math, financial math, programming and finance. 70 questions in 60 minutes all multiple choice. Programming questions are in Java or C++, you have a choice. The questions were not hard but takes time to compute. Impossible to finish. Wrong answer gets points deduction.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Phone interview, then on-site.

Interview Questions

• What's the best unbiased estimator for a series random variables?   3 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

Interview

phone interview. very technical. Some questions about math and c++

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2013.

Interview

I took an quantitative exam onsite, and then have interview with two teams. Different teams were in charge of their own hiring for quantitative analyst, i.e. strategist. My interview with each of the two teams last for 35 minutes. All of the questions are basic technical questions. As long as you can fully understand any quantitative finance interview books, the questions should be easy for you. They also asked questions on resume, but also from a technical aspect.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected questions is that they challenged the model I used for a academic project. They ask how do you know your model is appropriate for the problem. This questions seems easy, but I did not prepare and thus screwed up the interview.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

first round phone interview - typical - "walk me over resume",difference between C, C++. Overloading v/s Overriding. a couple of brain teasers. I guess it went Okay

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

First round is phone interview. The interviewer first introduced his team and what they do in their daily work, followed by asking questions related to your resume. He might challenge you on what you wrote in your resume, so prepared to justify why you tackle a problem in a specific way.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

initial phone interviews

Interview Questions

• 1. Try to explain my previous projects to people in other fields with different backgrounds, why what I did in projects are interesting and useful.
      2. What I learned in classes of my current school impressed me most.
      3. Talk about my previous experiences in coding and numerical analysis.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

1 hour written exam, mainly in maths and finance, few programming C++/Java questions. All are multiple choice.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

On site writing exam 60 mins with about 60 multiple -choice questions. including finance instruments, stochastic calculus, Java or C++, math. calculators are not allowed. Time is not enough to solve every question, should be able guess answers from the options.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online, got an email about a written test. It was a one hour written test, covering math, finance, and probability. They claimed to hand out pencil and eraser for us in the exam but actually they didn't. I spent the first 5 minutes borrowing a pen.

Interview Questions

• 1. If r increases for 1 basis point, how will the coupon bond price change?
      2. Given a matrix, find its complex eigenvalues.
      3. a programming problem, but they ask how the code is manipulated in the machine memory. omg

Answer Question