Morgan Stanley

Getting the Interview

41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Quantitative Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview. very technical. Some questions about math and c++

Interview Question – c++ questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – Phone interview, then on-site.

Interview Question – What's the best unbiased estimator for a series random variables?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2013.

Interview Details – I took an quantitative exam onsite, and then have interview with two teams. Different teams were in charge of their own hiring for quantitative analyst, i.e. strategist. My interview with each of the two teams last for 35 minutes. All of the questions are basic technical questions. As long as you can fully understand any quantitative finance interview books, the questions should be easy for you. They also asked questions on resume, but also from a technical aspect.

Interview Question – The most unexpected questions is that they challenged the model I used for a academic project. They ask how do you know your model is appropriate for the problem. This questions seems easy, but I did not prepare and thus screwed up the interview.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – first round phone interview - typical - "walk me over resume",difference between C, C++. Overloading v/s Overriding. a couple of brain teasers. I guess it went Okay

Interview Question – pricing of swaption   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details – On site writing exam 60 mins with about 60 multiple -choice questions. including finance instruments, stochastic calculus, Java or C++, math. calculators are not allowed. Time is not enough to solve every question, should be able guess answers from the options.

Interview Question – solve differential equations. stochastic integral.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details – 1 hour written exam, mainly in maths and finance, few programming C++/Java questions. All are multiple choice.

Interview Question – It's hard to complete within 1 hour.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – First round is phone interview. The interviewer first introduced his team and what they do in their daily work, followed by asking questions related to your resume. He might challenge you on what you wrote in your resume, so prepared to justify why you tackle a problem in a specific way.

Interview Question – Advanced C++ questions.   Answer Question

Interview Details – initial phone interviews

Interview Question – 1. Try to explain my previous projects to people in other fields with different backgrounds, why what I did in projects are interesting and useful.
2. What I learned in classes of my current school impressed me most.
3. Talk about my previous experiences in coding and numerical analysis.
  Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email about a written test. It was a one hour written test, covering math, finance, and probability. They claimed to hand out pencil and eraser for us in the exam but actually they didn't. I spent the first 5 minutes borrowing a pen.

Interview Question – 1. If r increases for 1 basis point, how will the coupon bond price change?
2. Given a matrix, find its complex eigenvalues.
3. a programming problem, but they ask how the code is manipulated in the machine memory. omg
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – written exams in one hour. all multiple choice questions which covers maths, programming, financial maths. almost impossible to finish.

Interview Question – a lot of stochastic calculus   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Quantitative Analyst interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees and interview candidates.