Morgan Stanley Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2015

3.1

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I was brought in to the office for the first round interview. I met with an MD and an Associate and was asked about my interest in the markets and my background.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I applied online for the Asia offices and was notified of being shortlisted for multiple positions around two weeks later. A week after that I had my first-round interviews by phone. A few days thereafter I only received one call back for the second round interview. The first round interviews were conducted by Executive Directors. Both were very nice, mostly asking about my resume, short life story, why Morgan Stanley, etc. No technical questions but they did ask about markets, financial news, and relevant news for Hong Kong; they were also interested in my opinions and economic intuition about financial developments. A Vice President conducted the second round interview. The interview was largely the same as the first round interviews with a lot of personal questions and no technical questions, just some questions about the markets as expected. The only difference from the first round interviews was that I was asked in which subgroup of sales and trading that I would be most interested in. They do look at everything on your resume during the interview process including your hobbies so be sure to back up your claimed interests. Also, if you state that you can speak an Asian language, you had better be able to converse with the interviewer fluently. I know that Superday will be in early January so they will fly you in to the Asia offices for additional rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What has been going on in Hong Kong financial news? (Follow-up) Is the establishment of the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect a good thing or a bad thing?   1 Answer

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the MS career website. A few weeks late, I got an email saying I was shortlisted for the first round interviews. The first phone was with a VP in Sales. The questions are like: walk me through your resume, tell me about your summer job, what do you think about the oil price and the coal price, what do you do in your free time, tell me about an experience when you take a huge risk, tell me about your leadership experience, why S&T. The second phone interview was with a Executive Director in Trading. We spent sometime talking about options, cover call, married put, short straddle and the B-S model for options pricing. I am waiting to hear back if I get into the final round interview.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

OCR recruiting, mostly fit questions. Couple market questions about housing, interest rates. Couple probability questions involving game theory as they want people who can think on their feet. Superday included 4 back to back interviews with people from different product groups. Some stress testing involved but depends on your interviewer.

Summer Sales and Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Scheduled interview for half an hour. Very friendly interviewer. Asked questions about market and stock pitch.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Took a day. Consisted of various 1v1 interviews. The majority of the questions were behavioral. The interviewers were very personable and genuine, didn't really try to tick me just accurately asses my capabilities for the position.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online with CV and cover letter. 2 telephone interviews. both interviewers extremely friendly and helpful. interviews were quite casual. invited to assessment centre, due to attend in a couple of weeks. will update review after that.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online with CV, cover letter, psychometric tests. Invited to first round interview in early December, two face-to-face 30-minute interviews at their office with VPs, rejected via email in late January.

Interview Questions

• How does an option work? Would you exercise this option at these prices? How would you price an option?   Answer Question
    • What trade ideas do you like at the moment?   Answer Question
    • Five pirates are trying to split up 1000 gold pieces. The rules are as follows: Pirate #1 must divide the gold up in such a way that a majority of the pirates (including himself) agree to. If he does not get a majority vote, he will be killed, and pirate #2 will get to propose a solution to the remaining 3 pirates, and the same rules will follow. This continues until someone comes up with a plan that earns a majority vote. What is the most amount of gold pieces that pirate #1 can keep to himself, and what would his proposal be? The pirates are infinitely greedy, infinitely ruthless (the more dead pirates the better), and infinitely intelligent.   Answer Question