Morgan Stanley

3.2

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2014.

I directly emailed human resources my resume. They got back to me 2 months later asking for a phone interview. Basic behavioral questions and asked me basic real estate ideas. The next day the contacted me to come in for a "superday" the following week. I met with 8 interviewers, 2 per 30 minute session

no negotiation

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

First round was phone call that was primarily behavioral with a few easy technical questions. Second round was at the office and there were 6 back to back interview. There were more technical questions this round and they might ask you to actually do something on Excel. However, prepare for behavioral as well. They will also ask some hypothetical scenario questions.

Interview Questions
    • On this board there are 6 investment opportunities for our client. Which one is the most appealing and why?   Answer Question
    I only negotiated my start date, because my school ended later than the semester system.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

This is for their Menlo Park office. I was sent an email from them requesting my availability in a time to talk about the role and my background. I emailed my contact on three different occasions and I never heard back from them.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Interviewed on campus for first round. Standard walk me through your resume questions for about 15 mins then the next 15 mins were spent on technicals. Technicals were easy because I wasn't a business major; if you look through the mergers and inquisitions list you should be good.

Interviewed at their office for the next round. It was 6 people (superdays are long). The analysts tend to focus on the more technical questions and the MD and VPs focus more on the fit and personality.

Interview Questions
    • How do you adjust a GAAP term to become a non-GAAP term   Answer Question

FAA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied online. One month later had a telephone interview. Completed online personality and math test and created a detailed business plan. Was then called in for an interview with the Assistant Branch Manager as well as the Complex Manager.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions. Just about process, history, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Private Wealth Management - Capital Markets Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2012.

A recruiter contacted me and scheduled an interview for a week from the date he emailed me. He was flexible on times and days and considerate of my schedule. First phone interview was about 20 minutes long, overall just a personality check. The guy was awesome and super chill about asking questions -- made me feel comfortable about giving my answer rather than what I thought he wanted to hear. Asked me generic questions like "Why finance?" and "Why PWM?" Received an email the next day that the hiring team wanted to talk to me in another phone interview.

Second phone interview was with a person who was in the position I would be offered. He missed the time he was supposed to call me the first time but was very apologetic and offered me the option to choose the second time we talked (only a couple hours later that day). We chatted about the position, what I thought it entailed, how the role fit into the company, etc. He seemed to like his job, but chuckled a little bit when I asked him if it was a fun, productive work environment (not sure exactly why). He had been in the same job for 4+ years which really was one of my biggest deterrents for the position. I think it would have been fabulous experience for a couple years, but would have wanted to move on after that to having more responsibilities.

While I am not going to the next round of interviews, I was told it would entail four 1:1 interviews in the office and a decision would have be made after those interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If the interest rates go down, what happens to the value of a bond?   View Answer
    • What have you read in the media recently about the financial industry? What are your thoughts on that article?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2012.

Process:
    - Began with an info session
    - On campus coffee chats
    - On campus interview that lasted about 30 minutes
    - Interviewer was nice, progressed through the process as though it was a casual conversation
    - Asked a variety of behavioral, technical and even a market sizing question
    - Overall, people at the office are nice, chill, but smart and hardworking

Interview Questions
    • What sport do you like most? What team is your favorite? How many fans do you think there are for that team in the entire world?   Answer Question
    • If you were spreading comps and you were looking at the market cap and the enterprise value, which do you think would be higher and what would cause you to raise a red flag?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2012.

Two associates interviewed me.

walk me through your resume.

two brainteasers

asked me about the general market

why morgan stanley

Interview Questions
    • why morgan stanley   Answer Question
    • if you were to change one thing about the US., anything, politics or economy, anything, what would you do to save our economy?   Answer Question

Public Finance Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2010.

I had three phone interviews with VP's and Executive Directors, and then was asked to come into the office and present a 23 page case study to demonstrate my debt structuring and credit analysis skills of a fictitious public power utility. They notified me several weeks later that I did not get the job. They wanted someone who came from a "bulge bracket bank."

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 ways I country can develop and strengthen its economy   Answer Question

Public Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2009.

There was 2 levels, the first behavioral and the second slightly technical, but not really. Be prepared for six people interviewing you in a row.