Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.5

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2012.

Applied on my university job board and got a call to come in for an interview, probably within a week. Met with a FA and two other of my lower supervisors, they asked basic questions about my resume and basically told me the job responsibilities. It was more them telling me stuff then interviewing them.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question

Mssb Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

A friend of mine was already employed there and was asked to find suitable candidates for an intern position with one of the wealth management teams. He passed my resume on to his higher ups and I got a call shortly after. We arranged a time for me to come in for an interview. The interview itself was pretty relaxed. It included me and my two potential bosses. We just talked about what I did at my last internship and that turned in to a natural feeling conversation. It didn't take very long and they kept it very friendly, which I really enjoyed.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2011.

I applied by sending my resume and agreeing online to show up to their "open house" so to speak. It was a group of 7 applicants in one room, the hiring manager explained what the company does and the what the position includes. Each applicant met with two interviewers for a quick 10 min interview and then were sent home, we were to fill out the application online and complete the assessment if not already done. The hiring manager never called me back and when I was able to finally get in contact with him he said he never received my application in his email and they had already made their decision.

Registered Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in November 2010.

Asked random questions to see how fast I could think on my feet like: dream job, tell me a joke?

Finance Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2011.

There was a phone interview, a one on one with a regular Financial Adviser and then an interview with a Senior Vice President. Overall, the interview questions can very from team to team, since Smith Barney is made up mainly of independent advisers there's no set interview process.

Work Culture is very professional, must wear a suit everyday. Most interaction is with own team members, so can't really speak to overall culture.

Interview Questions
    • Take me through you Microsoft Office ability, specifically excel skills.   Answer Question
    • What is an accomplishment that you are particularly proud of?   Answer Question
    I was working during the school year, so I was able to make sure that my work schedule would come after my school schedule. They are very firm on the wages, so good luck trying to negotiate that one. I had another internship offer at the time, but I decided to get a reputable name on my resume.

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2010.

This interview consisted of a surprise group interview of which there were basic interview questions such as: "tell me a stressful situation and how did you deal with it" "what is your favorite non-business class" "tell me about a time you set goals for yourself and the steps you took to achieve them" Then, it was a phone interview which consisted of just the interviewee asking questions, you had to have good questions to ask. Lastly, the third interview consisted of a big surprise, the group had left Morgan-Stanley and formed a business themselves and were looking for interns for their new Wealth management company the whole time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a goal you set for yourself and what were the steps you took to achieve the goal   Answer Question
    • Do you prefer sales or finance?   View Answer

FAA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

Interview process was extensive but respectful. No problem getting job if you're qualified.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a Financial Advisory?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2011.

Started with a brief phone interview and conversation, about 15 minutes total. Went in for what I thought was going to be the final interview but was not. I was told this was another "pre-screening" that was pretty much an entire interview w/ 2 people and lasting about an hour. Went on to interview AGAIN for a job that is essentially a receptionist job consisting of answering phones and data entry and pays about minimum wage. Was also told that after the "internship," if I wanted full time employment there, I would have to wait for an opening and apply for it like anyone else.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2011.

Applied for the position that was posted online. Shortly after sending the email, a recruiter based in NY replied and asked for copy of the resume posted on Morgan Stanley's career website and scheduled for a phone interview the same day. The recruiter is very nice yet professional and scheduled a one-on-one interview the following week with a Regional Director.

The Regional Director basically laid out the cards on the table on how the position entails so you will know what to expect if the position is offered. All in all, it was a productive interview.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2010.

I applied through my school's career website. They called me a few days later, scheduled an interview. The interviewer asked about my past leadership and intensively explained the niche of their firm and nature of the internship. He was prepping me for a lot of cold calling and told me that its a "necessary evil" of the industry, and that it would be worth it to have their name on my resume for future employers.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your biggest challenge with cold calling?   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!