Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.5

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2010.

The interview process was average and went good. It was the assessment tests they had you take that were a joke and had nothing to do with your role as an financial advisor. The tests has answers that made no sense and seemed more like a psychological test more than anything. I did not pass the test and my branch manger called the hiring firm up to find out where I made mistakes but they would not tell him anything. The test does not tell you if I will bring in money to the firm or get results. It does not tell how motivated someone is to work or their work habits. Overall the assessment test is a joke and I will still apply after 6months to retake the test since I want this job but next time make sure to have a group of friends with you to get their opinion on the answers or find them online before. Probably some doctor who made the test who is nuts himself.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked looked like this "if xyz makes 14million in revenue 3Q, the cfo will keep his job, if xyz does not make 14million in revenue there is the possibility he will lose his job. In the 3Q xyz did not make 14million and the cfo is still at the firm.   View Answer

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2009.

Communication was good, went from a light behavioral interview over phone, and then was contacted for an interview later that week. After that, had an interview with two associates, then a manager, and then another manager. Overall, interview took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What is your GPA and how does it reflect your abilities?   Answer Question

Portfolio Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2008.

Honestly, my interview was unlike others. I am with a private wealth management group and it was extremely casual. I did not have to answer any questions that were about the company, but rather just talk about myself and who I was as a person. It was extremely easy, so you probably should not listen to this if you are not with a PWM group. The office was extremely professional, people were so nice and welcoming, which is a relief when you are at your first interview. I ended up getting the job 2 hours later via phone call.

No negotiations.