Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Apr 1, 2015
Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.5

Internship Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website. They called me a few days later, scheduled an interview. The interviewer asked about my past leadership and intensively explained the niche of their firm and nature of the internship. He was prepping me for a lot of cold calling and told me that its a "necessary evil" of the industry, and that it would be worth it to have their name on my resume for future employers.

Interview Questions

• What would be your biggest challenge with cold calling?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Chicago, IL) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview process was average and went good. It was the assessment tests they had you take that were a joke and had nothing to do with your role as an financial advisor. The tests has answers that made no sense and seemed more like a psychological test more than anything. I did not pass the test and my branch manger called the hiring firm up to find out where I made mistakes but they would not tell him anything. The test does not tell you if I will bring in money to the firm or get results. It does not tell how motivated someone is to work or their work habits. Overall the assessment test is a joke and I will still apply after 6months to retake the test since I want this job but next time make sure to have a group of friends with you to get their opinion on the answers or find them online before. Probably some doctor who made the test who is nuts himself.

Interview Questions

• The questions asked looked like this "if xyz makes 14million in revenue 3Q, the cfo will keep his job, if xyz does not make 14million in revenue there is the possibility he will lose his job. In the 3Q xyz did not make 14million and the cfo is still at the firm.   1 Answer

Finance Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Chicago, IL) in March 2009.

Interview

Communication was good, went from a light behavioral interview over phone, and then was contacted for an interview later that week. After that, had an interview with two associates, then a manager, and then another manager. Overall, interview took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What is your GPA and how does it reflect your abilities?   Answer Question

Portfolio Management Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Chicago, IL) in May 2008.

Interview

Honestly, my interview was unlike others. I am with a private wealth management group and it was extremely casual. I did not have to answer any questions that were about the company, but rather just talk about myself and who I was as a person. It was extremely easy, so you probably should not listen to this if you are not with a PWM group. The office was extremely professional, people were so nice and welcoming, which is a relief when you are at your first interview. I ended up getting the job 2 hours later via phone call.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.