Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

3.2

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
  • The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question
None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Associate Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2013.

Short process with impromptu meeting. Unscripted questions and conversational format. My appointment was confirmed by the person who referred me. There was no prescreening process.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. We reviewed my background and skills at current and previous jobs.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

This was a long process. You have to submit some documents and go through a phone interview, and then 2 or 3 face to face interviews. They also like to make you chase them, so be persistent. The want you to treat them as a potential client, and they are looking for someone who will follow up and be professional.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a client that just will not say yes?   View Answer
    No negotiation here. They offered a job and salary and it was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Had to go through a multi-stage process to present a business plan on who we will be targeting and how we plan on landing them as clients. Must present your value proposition in front of a panel of managers and senior FAs and do mock interviews/cold calls. Known as a pre-production assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your target market going to be and how do you plan on reaching them and converting them to clients?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2012.

Applied online, five days later I received a personality test which I completed and sent back the same day. Three weeks later I received a phone call from the Branch managers assistant to come in a week later. I went in to the interview and the manager was very down to earth; he liked my past experience and sent a business plan template to complete. He stated the whole process would take about 3 weeks (which is complete BS. They are such a big organization; they are clueless on what is going on). I received a call 3 weeks later to meet with an FAA that told me how hard of a time I will have raising money, and talked about his little piker business and how MSSB's salary is a draw that has to be paid back (which is expected in this industry).

I made the mistake of holding informal meetings with family and friends telling them I was making a switch into wealth management. I waited and waited for the last interview for 4 weeks. I met with a senior FA for another redundant waste of my time interview and I could clearly tell he was intimidated by my track record and connections.

Interview Questions

This people are a waste of time when it comes to interviewing professionals. No wonder they are collapsing since all they do is hire people with no real work experience or recent grads, and make no accommodations to real producers. They talk to you as if you have no clue what is going on in the industry.
    I decided to take my business to an asset management firm that is very accommodating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2012.

I met with a very personable and relaxed advisor and talked a lot about the position and any questions I had. It was not a tense sit down and I learned a lot about the company and was very friendly. It was only informational through a friend and I was referred to a sales manager who I contacted for a real length phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of experiences have you had that made you interested in an advisory position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2011.

The following process took about a month:

1) Interview with Branch Manager
    2) (2 days later) Application and resume submission
    3) (an hour later) Personality test (situations are presented and I chose one out of four available reactions), Mathematics test (25 questions all about weighted average portfolio returns and compound growth rates), Logic test (Premise is presented with a conclusion, and I used deductive reasoning--aka common sense--to chose the likelihood of the conclusion. The tests take about 3 hours.
    4) (2 weeks later) Phone interview to prepare me for writing a business plan- very direct questioning about why I will be successful.
    5) (15minutes later) Sent a Business Plan to complete within 10 days. It's about 5 pages of short answer questions wondering how you will gather clients. Sent it back the same day.
    6) (2 weeks later) Final group meeting discussing the viability of my Business Plan.
    7) (Later that afternoon) Hired, salary presented.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, I was shocked how high it was and did not question it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

The interview was with the Vice President/Branch Manager. He basically asked you how you would develop a business and marketing plan to acquire new clients. Basic interview questions like what are your strengths, why Morgan Stanley, etc... Being a Financial Advisor Associate is all about sales, so make sure you are outgoing and can communicate effectively.

Interview Questions
    I had other offers so I was able to negotiate a higher base salary with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2010.

The online application included a few questions about your interests and experience. The next step is a series of tests. I got the email to complete the tests the day after submitting my application. There was a logic test, math test, and personality test. It actually took a long time (>2hrs). After that I was called in for a face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • The main topic of conversation was sales experience/ability/interest. The job is 90% sales (a lot of cold calls).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2010.

Was recruited by an employee, but it was very professional and all was completed in a timely manner.
    You need to prepare a business plan, contact list, etc. (the usual for an FA job)
    You meet with the Branch Manager for a 1:1 interview where you go over your materials

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed, the base salary is $50,000 and the job provides for unlimited compensation