Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

www.morganstanleysmithbarney.com

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Financial Advisor Interview

Associate Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2013.

Interview Details – Short process with impromptu meeting. Unscripted questions and conversational format. My appointment was confirmed by the person who referred me. There was no prescreening process.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. We reviewed my background and skills at current and previous jobs.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was overall a pleasant experience. I interviewed with several financial advisors in the office, as well as the office manager and the head of the financial advisor associates. The interview process was a bit lenghty. It included at least three rounds of interviews that spanned over a month. Everyone I interviewed with was extremely nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Question – I think the most unexpected part of the interview was the requirement to draft a business plan prior to interviewing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the highest amount that they paid anyone in that office. $60,000. My advice is to shoot for that number. I came with business, which was why I was able to get it, but I saw new hires after me being offered $35,000.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Question – The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – This was a long process. You have to submit some documents and go through a phone interview, and then 2 or 3 face to face interviews. They also like to make you chase them, so be persistent. The want you to treat them as a potential client, and they are looking for someone who will follow up and be professional.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a client that just will not say yes?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation here. They offered a job and salary and it was take it or leave it.

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred to the manager by a current employee. This is an important tip to remember- try to make contact with a current employee, especially if you know them, and ask for a referral. I was brought in for an initial interview with complex manager, then follow up interview with branch manager. Fairly straight forward.

Interview Question – How do you deal with rejection on the phone, with examples... They used basic personality assessment questions like naming a hardship I overcame; tell me about a leadership experience I had, etc. Since the job involves a lot of phone calling, the interviewers asked many questions relating to that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base salary was pretty set- I tried some negotiation but ended up taking their base offer.

Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Had to go through a multi-stage process to present a business plan on who we will be targeting and how we plan on landing them as clients. Must present your value proposition in front of a panel of managers and senior FAs and do mock interviews/cold calls. Known as a pre-production assessment.

Interview Question – Who is your target market going to be and how do you plan on reaching them and converting them to clients?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, five days later I received a personality test which I completed and sent back the same day. Three weeks later I received a phone call from the Branch managers assistant to come in a week later. I went in to the interview and the manager was very down to earth; he liked my past experience and sent a business plan template to complete. He stated the whole process would take about 3 weeks (which is complete BS. They are such a big organization; they are clueless on what is going on). I received a call 3 weeks later to meet with an FAA that told me how hard of a time I will have raising money, and talked about his little piker business and how MSSB's salary is a draw that has to be paid back (which is expected in this industry).

I made the mistake of holding informal meetings with family and friends telling them I was making a switch into wealth management. I waited and waited for the last interview for 4 weeks. I met with a senior FA for another redundant waste of my time interview and I could clearly tell he was intimidated by my track record and connections.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – This people are a waste of time when it comes to interviewing professionals. No wonder they are collapsing since all they do is hire people with no real work experience or recent grads, and make no accommodations to real producers. They talk to you as if you have no clue what is going on in the industry.
I decided to take my business to an asset management firm that is very accommodating.

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2012.

Interview Details – I met with a very personable and relaxed advisor and talked a lot about the position and any questions I had. It was not a tense sit down and I learned a lot about the company and was very friendly. It was only informational through a friend and I was referred to a sales manager who I contacted for a real length phone interview.

Interview Question – What kind of experiences have you had that made you interested in an advisory position?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is lengthy and very systematic. The firm hires 150 -200 new associates nationwide monthly.

Interview Questions

• The tests were timed...and this was probably the most challenging part of the interview process.   Answer Question
  • Having a business marketing plan ready to present.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation. It is much like signing up to work as a number in the masses. I would advise others ask for more. I received an offer in 2009 for $45K base pay and then a year later I did increase it to $60K. I learned that many new associates were in the $35k - $50k range and only a few were in the $60K range.

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2010.

Interview Details – Was recruited by an employee, but it was very professional and all was completed in a timely manner.
You need to prepare a business plan, contact list, etc. (the usual for an FA job)
You meet with the Branch Manager for a 1:1 interview where you go over your materials

Interview Question – Discuss your business plan   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed, the base salary is $50,000 and the job provides for unlimited compensation

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!