Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.9

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2012.

Have a business plan with a lot of contacts

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2010.

It was a lengthy process, they make you do the personality test, iq test you need to put together a business plan and present it in front of a panel of about five judges, they ask you questions and then gauge your level of interest from there. they are very involved in making sure that you are the best fit

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you will generate in revenue in your first year and why?   Answer Question

I got another offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

Basic interviews plus a skills (math) test

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

prepare business plan, including your own set of goals, expectation of success, very detailed book of business with solid realistic ideas that can be carried on in a reasonable time. Describe your targeted market and how you plan to access it.

Interview Questions
    salary and hours of work.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Hiring process was lengthy consisting of a phone interview, online test, in-person interview, business plan, and second in-person interview. After the whole process they made a job offer that I declined because of low salary offer.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can do this job?   View Answer

They expected long hours at very little pay≥

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

They aggressively recruit and make lots of promises but widely do not deliver after you accept.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult...just want to know how many accounts can you bring them.   View Answer
    They sell future expectations of compensation. Looking back get your money upfront.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2011.

I hit it off with most people I meet, but not this guy. I'm certain that within the first few minutes he knew he wasn't going to hire me. But it was an initial interview, I wasn't certain I wanted to work there. Anyway, after he showed up late (told me he just fired somebody) I waited in the office, the receptionist was eating Chinese food at the window and reading a magazine. Offices were empty, nobody looked very happy. But back to the interviewer, not sure if they'll publish the word douche on here, but if he knew within 2 minutes he didn't want me, I knew within 3 that not only would I never work for him, I would never do business with MSSB again. I went home and transferred my MSSB account that I held with them for over 10 years, to another Broker, just because of my interview with this guy.

Interview Questions

The interviewer. I was declined the job offer, but would have declined a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

Interview was held with a panel (3 people) and in addition to myself, my competitor for the position as well. We were interviewed together being asked the same questions ranging from personal to info about the company. Did not get the offer due to several reasons (completely my fault) however they were extremely respectful, and it was a good unique experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2011.

1. Telephone interview with the Complex Manager
    6. 2 1:1 interviews with advisors on the Morgan Stanley Side
    7. Interview with the Branch Manager
    8. Interviewed again with the Complex Manager to discuss Business Plan
    9. I accepted an offer from another firm

The interview process can take a couple days or a month depending on how quickly one completes the personality test and business plan. I greatly enjoyed my interview experience with MSSB and have the utmost respect for every individual I interacted with from Financial Advisor Assistants to the Complex Manager.

The most important thing to remember about being an FA is that it's a SALES job. This was preached to me by everyone on my panel. In addittion, if you cannot raise at least $8-$10 million is assets with in 365 days of joining the firm don't waste your time or the advisors's.

In each of my interviews I discussed how I would reach my assets under managment goal and why I wanted to enter the business again.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think a good first year assets under management goal would be and how will you achieve it?   Answer Question

I took a position with another firm that had a smaller assets under management goal for first year associates. I did financial planning for two years and I decided to get back into the business. It can be very rewarding, but it is also very frustrating in the beginning while trying to build your book of business. My goal is to build up a clientele then move over to MSSB.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2011.

applied through my school's career services center and got their email in two days.

Interview Questions

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!