Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.9

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview

Hiring process was lengthy consisting of a phone interview, online test, in-person interview, business plan, and second in-person interview. After the whole process they made a job offer that I declined because of low salary offer.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can do this job?   1 Answer

They expected long hours at very little pay≥

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (San Diego, CA).

Interview

They aggressively recruit and make lots of promises but widely do not deliver after you accept.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult...just want to know how many accounts can you bring them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They sell future expectations of compensation. Looking back get your money upfront.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

Multiple emails and phone calls with pretty basic behavioral questions. The financial exam required before the training was general in nature and covered many aspects of wealth management, integrity, regulations, etc. The people I worked with were personable and were able to answer any of my questions. I wasn't sure that I wanted to follow through with three year training pipeline so I declined the opportunity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Atlanta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Have a business plan with a lot of contacts

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview was held with a panel (3 people) and in addition to myself, my competitor for the position as well. We were interviewed together being asked the same questions ranging from personal to info about the company. Did not get the offer due to several reasons (completely my fault) however they were extremely respectful, and it was a good unique experience.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Atlanta, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

I hit it off with most people I meet, but not this guy. I'm certain that within the first few minutes he knew he wasn't going to hire me. But it was an initial interview, I wasn't certain I wanted to work there. Anyway, after he showed up late (told me he just fired somebody) I waited in the office, the receptionist was eating Chinese food at the window and reading a magazine. Offices were empty, nobody looked very happy. But back to the interviewer, not sure if they'll publish the word douche on here, but if he knew within 2 minutes he didn't want me, I knew within 3 that not only would I never work for him, I would never do business with MSSB again. I went home and transferred my MSSB account that I held with them for over 10 years, to another Broker, just because of my interview with this guy.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

The interviewer. I was declined the job offer, but would have declined a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Columbia, SC) in February 2011.

Interview

1. Telephone interview with the Complex Manager
    2. Personality Test
    3. Interview with the Complex Manager
    4. Wrote Business Plan
    5. 2 1:1 interviews with advisors on the Smith Barney Side
    6. 2 1:1 interviews with advisors on the Morgan Stanley Side
    7. Interview with the Branch Manager
    8. Interviewed again with the Complex Manager to discuss Business Plan
    9. I accepted an offer from another firm

The interview process can take a couple days or a month depending on how quickly one completes the personality test and business plan. I greatly enjoyed my interview experience with MSSB and have the utmost respect for every individual I interacted with from Financial Advisor Assistants to the Complex Manager.

The most important thing to remember about being an FA is that it's a SALES job. This was preached to me by everyone on my panel. In addittion, if you cannot raise at least $8-$10 million is assets with in 365 days of joining the firm don't waste your time or the advisors's.

In each of my interviews I discussed how I would reach my assets under managment goal and why I wanted to enter the business again.

Interview Questions

• What do you think a good first year assets under management goal would be and how will you achieve it?   Answer Question

I took a position with another firm that had a smaller assets under management goal for first year associates. I did financial planning for two years and I decided to get back into the business. It can be very rewarding, but it is also very frustrating in the beginning while trying to build your book of business. My goal is to build up a clientele then move over to MSSB.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

applied through my school's career services center and got their email in two days.

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Greensboro, NC) in January 2011.

Interview

Completed the online assessment and was called by the complex manager. After the phone interview I was told the local manager was going to call me to schedule an 1:1 interview, but I didn't hear back from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Atlanta, GA) in July 2010.

Interview

1.) contacted by the complex manager and interviewed very briefly over the phone.
    2.) complex manager called back and invited me to complete a personality test.
    3.) complex manager called me in for an interview which went fair in my opinion.
    4.) interview with branch office manger
    5.) second interview with branch office manager.
    6.) third interview with branch office manager and formally offered position.
    7.) received formal offer in the mail.

Interview Questions

• Sell me on why I should hire you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation