Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2012.

Interview Details – Have a business plan with a lot of contacts

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions, just be yourself   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was a lengthy process, they make you do the personality test, iq test you need to put together a business plan and present it in front of a panel of about five judges, they ask you questions and then gauge your level of interest from there. they are very involved in making sure that you are the best fit

Interview Question – What do you think you will generate in revenue in your first year and why?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got another offer

Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

Interview Details – Basic interviews plus a skills (math) test

Interview Question – Basic questions   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

Interview Details – prepare business plan, including your own set of goals, expectation of success, very detailed book of business with solid realistic ideas that can be carried on in a reasonable time. Describe your targeted market and how you plan to access it.

Interview Question – getting clients without any support from corp.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – salary and hours of work.

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Advisor

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Hiring process was lengthy consisting of a phone interview, online test, in-person interview, business plan, and second in-person interview. After the whole process they made a job offer that I declined because of low salary offer.

Interview Question – What makes you think you can do this job?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They expected long hours at very little pay≥

San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – They aggressively recruit and make lots of promises but widely do not deliver after you accept.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult...just want to know how many accounts can you bring them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They sell future expectations of compensation. Looking back get your money upfront.

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2011.

Interview Details – I hit it off with most people I meet, but not this guy. I'm certain that within the first few minutes he knew he wasn't going to hire me. But it was an initial interview, I wasn't certain I wanted to work there. Anyway, after he showed up late (told me he just fired somebody) I waited in the office, the receptionist was eating Chinese food at the window and reading a magazine. Offices were empty, nobody looked very happy. But back to the interviewer, not sure if they'll publish the word douche on here, but if he knew within 2 minutes he didn't want me, I knew within 3 that not only would I never work for him, I would never do business with MSSB again. I went home and transferred my MSSB account that I held with them for over 10 years, to another Broker, just because of my interview with this guy.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interviewer. I was declined the job offer, but would have declined a second interview.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was held with a panel (3 people) and in addition to myself, my competitor for the position as well. We were interviewed together being asked the same questions ranging from personal to info about the company. Did not get the offer due to several reasons (completely my fault) however they were extremely respectful, and it was a good unique experience.

Interview Questions

Columbia, SC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Telephone interview with the Complex Manager
6. 2 1:1 interviews with advisors on the Morgan Stanley Side
7. Interview with the Branch Manager
8. Interviewed again with the Complex Manager to discuss Business Plan
9. I accepted an offer from another firm

The interview process can take a couple days or a month depending on how quickly one completes the personality test and business plan. I greatly enjoyed my interview experience with MSSB and have the utmost respect for every individual I interacted with from Financial Advisor Assistants to the Complex Manager.

The most important thing to remember about being an FA is that it's a SALES job. This was preached to me by everyone on my panel. In addittion, if you cannot raise at least $8-$10 million is assets with in 365 days of joining the firm don't waste your time or the advisors's.

In each of my interviews I discussed how I would reach my assets under managment goal and why I wanted to enter the business again.

Interview Question – What do you think a good first year assets under management goal would be and how will you achieve it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I took a position with another firm that had a smaller assets under management goal for first year associates. I did financial planning for two years and I decided to get back into the business. It can be very rewarding, but it is also very frustrating in the beginning while trying to build your book of business. My goal is to build up a clientele then move over to MSSB.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2011.

Interview Details – applied through my school's career services center and got their email in two days.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley Smith Barney employees and interview candidates.